Urinating And Drinking A Lot

Guest Geostar

Guest Geostar

AS I am fairly new to this group even though I did 'come on board' a few years ago, my husband and I have a lovely female greyhound which drinks a lot of water and then after a short while must go out and urinate. She soiled our carpet a couple of night ago, must to our dismay as we were home. It wasn't just one puddle..but, rather a serious of jagged 'puddles' about four feet long. As she, Maria, has had this problem before, and nothing was found, we plan to see our vet tomorrow for another round of tests and perhaps, some chircopractic adjustments as well. Yet, we don't have a 'nsme' for this problem and it alarms me in a way. And, to make it interesting..it just seems as though the urine goes right through her..as there appears to be very little 'odor' to her urine. Ideas..anyone..?

-star

Could be a uti, diabetes, cushings disease or any number of things. Good thing she's seeing the vet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Geostar

Hi, and thanks for your suggestions. Yes, you might be right, but, you know..nothing showed up earlier in the tests taken...a few months ago.

Also, she has lost some interest in playing with her toys in our home, and even romping outside. She just acts as though she does not feel good.

Gee..my wish for a normal greyhound! Yet, we love her dearly and wouldn't trade her for the world. She is as sweet as she can be otherwise..

-star

Could be a uti, diabetes, cushings disease or any number of things.

Make sure vet checks her blood pressure and listens to her heart as well.

Best luck, and let us know what you find!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When you get the blood test, you may also want ask the vet to do a hormone panel. The onset of SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome) will create elevated estrogen levels in both males and females.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My list of things to check (of course influenced by my own experiences).

Specific gravity and protein in the urine (basic urinalysis)

Culture and sensitivity of urine (for suspected urinary tract infection)

If culture is negative, a creatinine/protein ratio of the urine (looking for kidney disease here) and CBC and chem panel (looking for kidney disease and diabetes)

Did they do a culture of her urine when she had this problem before?

Jane

The others on the thread have noted most of the usual things, so these are more unlikely but still possible ...

Is she on a different dog food than she was on before?

Sometimes a food allergy can trigger drinking more water than usual.

Also, my boy will urinate more if I increase the protein in his diet -- his specific gravity also runs lower.

Yes to the TBD testing. One of ours was positive for Babesia at age 7 and has had ongoing mild kidney issues, including low specific gravity and frequent urination. Now at age 9 we find he's also positive for Lyme and will test further and treat if indicated. The Lyme is a big surprise, given his geographical history; but, hey, these track dogs do rub elbows with dogs from everywhere. The vets where we live don't deal with TBD's often. But I still feel kinda dumb for not requesting testing sooner.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Timo has had a few episodes where he drank and urinated excessively. We took him to the vet and ran tests, but came back with nothing conclusive. And, the next day, it would subside. I did find that giving him a food with less salt curbed a lot of the excessive drinking. The vet also suggested that he might have a slight case of psychogenic polydipsia and OCD. He tends to want to lick a bowl dry (any bowl he eats or drinks out of), no matter how much water is in there. So, now he has two separate water bowls next to each other, and we put half a cup in each bowl at a time. If he finishes both, we put more, but he usually only wants to lick one bowl clean and ignores the other bowl. Which of the two bowls depends on his mood. Silly dog! But, if he's actually thirsty, he'll drink both bowls. It's kind of a psychological game we have to play with him. It's funny cause sometimes he'll lick a bowl really dry like he's dying of thirst, and I'll pour more in for him and tell him to drink, and he'll just stare at me like I'm an idiot and refuse to drink. :lol I mention this because it might be something you can ask the vet about.

Guest BrianRke

Im glad to see this thread because Frank does the same thing. He is drinking a lot of water, Im estimating about 2+ gallons per day. He urinates frequently and large amounts. Diabetes was the first thing that came to mind but he doesnt really fit the profile.

He is a 3 year old male and the majority of diabetes cases are females between the ages of 6-10.

I am making a vet appt for next week but other than the water drinking/urinating, he is VERY active and happy! I'm hoping its nothing.

Guest Geostar

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and informing me that with some greys, you have a problem, too. I just don't know what to say. When I took her to the vet, she took some blood. She was concerned that it was soooo thick, and that Maria was a bit dehydrated. She had blow-out runs this morning after a day and a half of normal stools. The urine is mostly water..very diluted. She is not herself now, does not play with her toys at all. She did play with our foster which is a young greyhound..and the two chased each other this morning, but, she is quiet now. Our vet feels that it could be tick borne...as a possiblity. Maria did race in New Orleans..and, yeah, who knows what dogs came from the east to 'rub' elbows. But, that was back in 2007. I know the previous owners didn't use any flea/tick preventative during the year they had her as they stated: "well, she didn't have any!" Got lost on that statement.. As we live in Oklahoma, our vets see tick borne disease in all breeds of dogs, not just greyhounds...and there are a lot of different types.. We know that tick borne disease can 'hide' in the body for months, even years before it surfaces.. For all of you who have problems with your greys, get them checked out..please.

the best,

-star