Food Anxiety

Guest driser

Guest driser

We've posted about this in the recent past:

Our 3 year old male Greyhound gets SO worked up about breakfast that if we don't LEAP out of bed the nano second the alarm goes off he throws up, but then bounds down stairs, tail wagging, giddy for breakfast. We implemented the previous advice which was to break up his dinner and feed him right before we go to bed so he doesn't get an empty tummy. BUT he's still throwing up at least once a week only now there are a few pieces of kibble in the bile. We take him out to go potty immediately after he eats and when we come back in (after we wipe his paws at the door and unhook his leash) he BOLTS back to his food dish to see if there's more. Is it possible we aren't feeding him enough?? He's a TALL 80lb boy and his ribs are still only slightly visible. We are feeding him a total of 5 cups (in 3 feedings) plus a few treats mid-day.

When we took him to the vet when he first started doing this she said he checked out fine on his physical and because he's happy, eating, playing, pooping and peeing she didn't have a reason for his vomiting. We are torn about another vet visit when nothing has changed in his demeanor.

Does anyone else have a Greyhound with FOOD ANXIETY?

Ryder is OBSESSED with food :) We also had a very similar problem to yours re: bile. I know where you are coming from.

He would throw up bright yellow stuff, no content of food though, in the wee hours of the morning. Giving him a whole slice of bread before bed would work now and again, but after it kept happening and we couldn't resolve it on our own with other methods we went to talk to a vet. We tried different ways to resolve it like you are I'm sure. Different feeding amounts, changing the time they are fed, the snack size and time before bed, etc. Basically in anticipation of his breakfast, his stomach acid prepares itself for the next meal, and sometimes over prepares and then the acid has to go somewhere - usually ending up on your floor.

We were prescribed Cerenia, it's meant for nausea. In it's simplicity it was given to Ryder to break the pattern that he was having, because it was nearly every morning. If it wouldn't work, we would try something else, but it was best to start with that first. After being dosed for 3 days/nights early last year, we have only had one recent occurrance.

It's really funny to have to try to restrict food for Ryder because he'll pack on the weight, but if we don't, he'll throw up! 5 cups in 3 feedings sound pretty good to me, I don't think I would feed more because his ribs are still only slightly visible. You do want to be able to see the last two ribs.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

What brand of food is he getting? Five cups a day would be too much for my crew. However, some brands suggest more cups per serving than others.

Would your boy be satisfied with adding some snacks like carrots throughout the day?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Not sure what kind of food you're feeding him but you may have to consider getting a food that has a little more staying power so to speak. If he poops a lot, he's not using up what he's eating. I think 5 cups is a lot of food for an 80 lb. boy. My 90lb. boys only get 4 cups a day, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. If everything is fine in that department then maybe keep a couple of cookies in your night stand drawer and when the alarm goes off toss him a couple of cookies. Sometimes that's all it takes to keep them from getting over excited and vomiting.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If everything is fine in that department then maybe keep a couple of cookies in your night stand drawer and when the alarm goes off toss him a couple of cookies. Sometimes that's all it takes to keep them from getting over excited and vomiting.

From my research and after being through it (although every dog is different) by throwing him a couple cookies before you think he's going to hurl will only re-establish his stomach knowing food will be coming to him at 4am and continue to create acid. The idea is to get him to a 7am feeding for example, by stretching out the times you are feeding, not to be given food at odd times.

Proudly owned by:

If everything is fine in that department then maybe keep a couple of cookies in your night stand drawer and when the alarm goes off toss him a couple of cookies. Sometimes that's all it takes to keep them from getting over excited and vomiting.

From my research and after being through it (although every dog is different) by throwing him a couple cookies before you think he's going to hurl will only re-establish his stomach knowing food will be coming to him at 4am and continue to create acid. The idea is to get him to a 7am feeding for example, by stretching out the times you are feeding, not to be given food at odd times.

I didn't see anything about 4:00 a.m., I must have missed something. I thought it was when the alarm went off and they were getting up, just not fast enough.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I didn't see anything about 4:00 a.m., I must have missed something. I thought it was when the alarm went off and they were getting up, just not fast enough.

Or sorry, I took your statement out of context then as well. I was giving 4am as a suggestion for example, I wasn't tying it to an alarm specific time. Ha...maybe the alarm sound is his chucking trigger!!

Proudly owned by:

Or sorry, I took your statement out of context then as well. I was giving 4am as a suggestion for example, I wasn't tying it to an alarm specific time. Ha...maybe the alarm sound is his chucking trigger!!

That's what I was thinking so it just seemed logical to toss a couple of cookies at him to keep him occupied until you can get to the food. I could be totally off on this though, wouldn't be the first time. :lol

Just out of curiosity, what happens on mornings when you don't have an alarm (weekends, holidays, you forget to set it)? Unfortunately for me, one of ours believes that once the sun is up, it's time to go for our walk and then have breakfast. But I'm waiting to see what happens through winter when it gets light later.

Guest verthib

Mine gets 5 cups per day. He's only 73 lbs but he's on salmon and sweet potato and the calories are low. If he looks good on 5 cups, stick with it. All foods have different caloric contents. Maybe try an anti-vomiting med to break the cycle as a previous poster mentioned.

Guest driser

He might just need some Pepsid for excess tummy acid.

My last dog threw up many times a week (for 15 years) if he didn't get his Pepsid.

Do I need to go to vet to use Pepcid?

Do I need to take him to vet to put him on Pepcid???