Blood Test High Ast & Cpk

I recently had a blood panel done on my senior greyhound, Romeo. His AST value was 283 versus normal range of 15-66 and a CPK of 9196 versus normal range of 59-895. Wea are treating with an antibiotic, as there was elevated levels of bateria in the urine, and plan on retesting. From what I have read and been told elevated AST indicates either muscle damage or liver damage. His ALT value was 59 vs normal 12-118. Please let me know your thoughts.

Mrs. Woolfy

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kunder

St. Charles Mo.

Litter#: Tuf 72180 Crossed over the Bridge 7-5-05, D.O.G. 55539 Cross over the bridge, Peek-A-Boo 60707 Cross over the bridge, Romeo 97537, Julie 26989

Romeo was extremely nervous.

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kunder

St. Charles Mo.

Litter#: Tuf 72180 Crossed over the Bridge 7-5-05, D.O.G. 55539 Cross over the bridge, Peek-A-Boo 60707 Cross over the bridge, Romeo 97537, Julie 26989

If he isn't showing symptoms other than those common to UTI I probably wouldn't worry about it right now if my trusted vet was not unduly concerned. Repeat testing may show things are back to normal. If not, then it may be time to run other diagnostics. It's been a long time since I had a dog with elevated CPK but my memory says it can be temporarily up at levels that look astronomical to me but still not indicate a problem. It would take other symptoms combined or repeatedly higher elevations before I would worry. AST is also something I might worry about if it came back to near normal & stayed there.

Edited by kudzu

did they evaluate his heart? CPK can sometimes be elevated with heart damage (heart attack in a human).

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!