Adequan Injections

Considering Adequan for my older boy Coyote who doesn't seem to tolerate NSAIDS well. I've done a search here on H&M and there seems to be info in support of it. Xrays show degenerative joint disease in the shoulders. Any advice? Also anything on cost, frequency of administration and or side effects is greatly appreciated.

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

My old girl got them, she had spinal problems that seriously weakened her back end. She got three, about a month apart. They were a huge help, I only stopped because she was also getting acupuncture which kept her going long term (well, until she passed from something else :()

I don't recall the cost, except it wasn't terribly expensive, and there were no side effects.

I used Adequan with Trinkett, and now with one of my cats. It does seem to make a difference. Giving the injections to a greyhound is ridiculously easy (much easier than the cat... the target area is a lot larger, and they don't have fluffy hair to hide where the needle is). The ultimate goal is to get it down to once a month, but I always started seeing symptoms return after 2-3 weeks, so that was the time they got their next shot.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest peacehound

Peace gets them..we pay 39 dollars an injection. The loading dose was two shots a week for a total of eight shots. Now, she gets an injection every six or seven weeks, I just kind of watch for the limping or sluggishness or any sign of pain to determine when she needs her injection. It has helped her so much..before the loading dose, she was just about cripple, the poor thing limped so bad..old injuries, arthritis and joint problems..she will be ten this February. She was on Deramaxx for two years prior to the shots, it was OSU that recommended Adequan when the NSAIDs stopped helping..deramaxx was cost 1.25 a day so the injections are about the same price..hope this helps..I have been quite pleased with the results...she does get diarrhea for a day three days after her injection without fail..vet said this is rare but it can happen and it lasts for just a day or two.

good luck!

If your dog is not a drama queen, you should be able to give the injections yourself. In which case, my vet charged something like 125 for the two vials of Adequan and needles, so about 20 per shot. Then again, Trinkett was a very stoic dog, and would let you do anything to her medically. You may feel it's worth the money to have the vet do it.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

If your dog is not a drama queen, you should be able to give the injections yourself. In which case, my vet charged something like 125 for the two vials of Adequan and needles, so about 20 per shot. Then again, Trinkett was a very stoic dog, and would let you do anything to her medically. You may feel it's worth the money to have the vet do it.

I can definitely manage the shots as I'm a nurse (albeit a psych RN) but I also gave Klem Vit B 12 shots for his IBD. If it works, it's worth any amount. I feel like it's a case where I won't do any harm and there is some real benefits.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

We've had great success with it. Neither glucosamine, MSN, nor Rimadyl helped Shane. He get's an injection sub-q at home every three weeks, because that's how often he seems to need them. (That's after the front-loading doses of twice a week or so, as I recall.) We get ours by prescription through Drs. Foster & Smith for $48.99 per bottle. (Our vet can't beat that price.) For us each 5 ml bottle gives 3 to 4 injections. Shipping is free at $49 or more, so we order syringes with needles at the same time. :)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

My horse started on Adequan this year. The difference has been amazing. I've been able to significantly lengthen the time between hock injections. After the initial loading dose (1 shot every 4 days), she now gets shots every 2 weeks. I'm a weenie, but have been able to do them myself. I'm not sure what the cost is for canines, but I pay $350 for a 10 dose vial for my horse. It's worth every penny.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

We're starting week 4 of the loading dose with Milky and I've seen great results. We also started Accupuncture on Friday and this weekend she did a full greyhound stretch. I hadn't even realized she had stopped until I saw her all stretched out. Shots are easy to give and even with Milky the drama queen she doesn't seem to notice. We had a little diariah the first couple of weeks the day after the shot but that seems to have stopped. Also if she moves when I'm giving the shot she'll get a bruise and since she's white with a bald butt it shows up :) Cheapest place I've found to order teh Adequan is vet depot You do need an Rx. Good luck, hope you see the same results as we have.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

We did it 3x on Beau and Elsie and saw absolutely no change. Vet said that we may not have seenmuch improvement at that point but there should have been some.

We have much better luck with acupuncture. We were being charged $86.00 for the 2 of them and that is with a 20% discount that we get.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest ashphobiax

i dont know about Adequan with dogs, but we use to use it in horses that had joint issues and it worked wonders! it does get a little costly though and we found that product similar to it do not work as well as Adequan.

Jake gets Cartrophen shots (they aren't available in the US yet) I was told it is very similare to Adequan. I give them to him myself which saved me a lot. Jake is better on the shot than not, unfortunately we are only getting about 3 weeks between shots. The difference between last day and the day after the shot is remarkable though. It's been well work doing.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

also its one of those things that you have to keep up with you cant just randomly stop.

Actually, you can. There isn't any "weaning off" period of Adequan or adverse affects. Of course, you lose any benefits resulting from the injections once they are stopped.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)