Percy Will Not Eat!

Guest spascale

Guest spascale

I adopted Percy 3 months ago straight off the racetrack. He is adjusting very well, and has gained a substantial amount of weight. Ever since we got him, he vomits if he drinks too much water. This past week, he has been refusing to eat at meal times, but continues to vomit. His Stomach makes crazy loud gurgling sounds in the morning, and he tries to eat the grass outside. I can tell he isn't feeling well. Is it normal for greyhounds to stop eating like this?

If his stomach is gurgling and he's eating grass no this is not normal. Something is upsetting his stomach. You could try giving him some Manuka honey or a Pepcid before meals and see if that doesn't stop the tummy rumbles. Also depending on how far apart meals are spaced he may need a small snack to tide him over until the next meal. If these things don't help a vet visit to check for parasites I think would be in order.

If he hasn't been eating, he really needs to go to the vet. Today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest spascale

Thanks for the advice guys!

Percy was at the vet 2 weeks ago. He's stomach was just beginning to become upset, and I asked the vet about the vomiting. I was told that this was nothing to worry about, and that we should limit how much water we give him. He was checked for all sorts of parasites. The tummy rumbles began the next day.

Percy eats treats, peanut butter, and honey. He gets excited when we feed him, but then stops eating after one bite. He continues to drink water.

Oddly enough, Percy seems to be feeling better. He ate his entire breakfast and dinner yesterday and breakfast this morning. I called the vet this morning, she said that I should wait until he stops eating anything.

He seems to be feeling better today- jumping, playing, etc.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

How much is a "substantial" amount of weight? What did he weigh at the track, and what does he weigh now? Overfeeding can cause some of the issues you are speaking about. If you are not sure about his track weight, what was his racing name?

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

• 1 month later...
Guest spascale

Hi Guys!

Sorry for the delay in the update.

Percy is MUCH MUCH better.

You were one hundred percent correct - the problem was overfeeding. Percy gained about 20 pounds since we got him. We were feeding him almost 5 cups per day. After he experienced his "episode," I cut his food down to 2 cups per meal (4 per day). Now he is maintaining a healthy weight, and is no longer experiencing the tummy rumbles. Thank you again so much for the support!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

20 lbs, HOLEY SCHNIKEY, Batman!!

In case your adoption group didnt go over "healthy" weight, as the above poster said, you should be able to see his last 2-3 ribs showing through, as well as 3-5 spine bumps on the top, and the tips of his "hip points" should also be visible. A good rule of thumb is within about 5 lbs of his race weight. As far as what a vet says is healthy, as long as it is a vet that deals with greyhounds on a regular basis, I would trust, but if it is not the vets regular clients (greyhounds) then I would do more research. It seems to me that most vets are a bit on the shy side about saying your hound is overweight unless it is morbidly obese. And 20 lbs over race weight would be pushing the upper limits closing in on morbidly obese in a greyhound. Remember the damage that they have done to all their joints by racing, you dont want any excess weight on them that they dont need. Later in life arthritis and other issues arise.

Chad