He's Destroying The House!

Update: So we've had Gila about 3 weeks now as a companion for Hadji. His S.A. lessened dramatically at first, but now seems to be back. He's not having the full-blown panic attacks, but is pulling things of counters and chewing whatever's handy. He hadn't jumped up on the windows in a while so started leaving the blinds down again, well, he's back to jumping on the windows to try to get out (we have hurricane proof windows, so I'm not worried he'll break them). They get treats when we leave and don't follow us to the door, and we love them both dearly, but now we have one that still suffers from S.A., and one who keeps getting us up through the night. When suggested by many readers, and a dog psychic, that we needed to get a second dog, I gave in even though I feared it would increase our problems. It has. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that in time everything will work out.

I'm a newbie, so this may be off base. We eliminated Brandi's S.A. by getting Paige (aka PK), to the extent that Brandi is left alone each week while I take PK to obedience classes. All Brandi does is sleep. But we also have issues with things getting chewed, pulled off counters and so on. I'm putting that down, not to SA but to the fact we have 2 2 year olds and that's what they do. We now try not to leave anything out that can be chewed, work to train them not to do it and keep kitchen counters clear. Are you sure this is SA and not something else? As for the windows, ours are much less stressed when they can see out. You say you've started to leave the blinds down and he's started jumping at the windows - is it because he can't see out?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: So we've had Gila about 3 weeks now as a companion for Hadji. His S.A. lessened dramatically at first, but now seems to be back. He's not having the full-blown panic attacks, but is pulling things of counters and chewing whatever's handy. He hadn't jumped up on the windows in a while so started leaving the blinds down again, well, he's back to jumping on the windows to try to get out (we have hurricane proof windows, so I'm not worried he'll break them). They get treats when we leave and don't follow us to the door, and we love them both dearly, but now we have one that still suffers from S.A., and one who keeps getting us up through the night. When suggested by many readers, and a dog psychic, that we needed to get a second dog, I gave in even though I feared it would increase our problems. It has. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that in time everything will work out.

I'm a newbie, so this may be off base. We eliminated Brandi's S.A. by getting Paige (aka PK), to the extent that Brandi is left alone each week while I take PK to obedience classes. All Brandi does is sleep. But we also have issues with things getting chewed, pulled off counters and so on. I'm putting that down, not to SA but to the fact we have 2 2 year olds and that's what they do. We now try not to leave anything out that can be chewed, work to train them not to do it and keep kitchen counters clear. Are you sure this is SA and not something else? As for the windows, ours are much less stressed when they can see out. You say you've started to leave the blinds down and he's started jumping at the windows - is it because he can't see out?

The blinds are just matchstick blinds, even when they're down the dogs can see through them. When we go out, we do pull them up though so Hadji can't damage them. Just replaced it this morning, went out to dinner, and came home to the blind being pulled down and shredded (he jumps up as high as he can and pulls it down, there are scratches on the wall taller than me) and furniture knocked over. It seems getting the second dog was just a temporary distraction. He seems to be freaking Gila out , too, when we get home she's much more timid. He's fine (fingers crossed) during the week when I go out for a couple of hours in the morning on schedule, it's the weekends when we both go out together that freaks him out. We don't even leave the house together, first one of us leaves and moves the car down the road, while the other one gives them a rawhide to distract them, and then leaves. I think it's time to try medication. I'm going to talk to the vet tomorrow about some type of short term quick acting tranquilizer. It seems like just a matter of time before he hurts himself. When we followed peoples suggestions that crating was the answer, he chipped all the enamel off his canines trying to chew his way out of the crate (no, he wasn't crate shy, all his toys were kept in the crate, and went into it regularly on his own during the day.)

Guest verthib

Can you try a nanny cam to see what he is doing while you're away? It might give you clues as to what triggers it. You can also see how he treats your new girl when they're alone. It might be very revealing.

Guest Meggylou

I'm so sorry this is happening.

I am completely new to GHs and don't even have my first yet. Please keep us updated on your dog's progress. I am finding this thread to be full of invaluable information, though I am sorry it is at your expense. Best of luck!

Update: It seems to be happening when we go out off schedule. During the week he's fine, when he sees the triggers that I'm going out to do morning errands, he lies down on his bed and waits for his treat. It's the weekends, when sometimes he comes on afternoon errands, sometimes he doesn't. It's when he doesn't he causes trouble. He's not having the panic attacks, where we come home to pools of drool, he seems more mad/ frustrated. He's pulling things off counters, and chewing innapropriate items. I know he thinks we're going for a walk in the dog park without him. As far as he's concerned, that's the only place we go in the car! I think we're going to try to keep him to a schedule on weekends, too, and stop taking him on errands, it's just that he loves meeting people, and it's good for socializing Gila, who's still very shy.

That's interesting about the schedule. They are such routine minded critters given their early lifestyle.....

Believe it or not, the horses at the barn are the same way....it we get off schedule at all, they get extremely antsy.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Update: It seems to be happening when we go out off schedule. During the week he's fine, when he sees the triggers that I'm going out to do morning errands, he lies down on his bed and waits for his treat. It's the weekends, when sometimes he comes on afternoon errands, sometimes he doesn't. It's when he doesn't he causes trouble. He's not having the panic attacks, where we come home to pools of drool, he seems more mad/ frustrated. He's pulling things off counters, and chewing innapropriate items. I know he thinks we're going for a walk in the dog park without him. As far as he's concerned, that's the only place we go in the car! I think we're going to try to keep him to a schedule on weekends, too, and stop taking him on errands, it's just that he loves meeting people, and it's good for socializing Gila, who's still very shy.

Our girl went through the same thing more or less the first 6-8 months we had her. Lessened as time went on but weekends were no question worse than week days. The pulling stuff off of counters and tables was the first sign that there was trouble and the last behavior to go. To stop it we would set little "traps" on different surfaces. We'd place an item we know she'd want to take on the edge of the dining room table, for example, but tie a set of sleigh bells to it. She'd pull the item down, the bells jingle loudly = no more pulling stuff off that surface for a while. Did the same thing in the kitchen - tied a little metal bottle opener to something. Same effect. Did it enough times and the behavior just stopped. After that 8 months she was completely settled anyway and has been an angel since. Good luck!

Update: Okay, took one of your advice, and spoke to a dog communicator. Before I told her the problem, she blurted out " You need to get a second dog, all your problems will go away". So, we gave in and adopted a very shy female. Hadji's SA immediately went away. I leave them both in the house, don't have to close off any rooms, and don't come back to a pile of drool by the door or any damage. Gila seems to enjoy being alone, there's less to scare her, and she often dissappears into the bedroom to be by herself. So far (5 days), it seems to be a good match, Hadji's teaching Gila that people and doors and the wind aren't scary things, and Gila's teaching Hadji that alone time can be very relaxing.

Just a comment on the dog communicator thing:

So at first, getting a second dog seemed to help. Now the behavior is deteriorating again. I sincerely hope things will get better again for you and your dogs, but I can't help but be upset at the potential mess this dog communicator caused. I realize the verdict isn't out yet, but for now I find it irresponsible of her to give you the what seems rather spontaneous advice to get a second dog. That's a decision not to be taken lightly (I'm not suggesting you have, but there will be other people who would). There is potential this isn't going to work out as expected--I would like to hear the dog communicator then. When communicators make such broad and sweeping claims like "all your problems will go away" all the warning flags go off with me.

Again, I hope things will work out, whether because of the communicator or not.

Edited by christinepi

Guest verthib

A lot of folks recommended they get a second dog. Not just the dog communicator. And I don't think they thought it would solve all their problems. Personally I would not stop taking him places. What a boring life. And he loves meeting people so he would be missing out. Are they gated together so he still has the other grey for company?

Update: It seems to be happening when we go out off schedule. During the week he's fine, when he sees the triggers that I'm going out to do morning errands, he lies down on his bed and waits for his treat. It's the weekends, when sometimes he comes on afternoon errands, sometimes he doesn't. It's when he doesn't he causes trouble. He's not having the panic attacks, where we come home to pools of drool, he seems more mad/ frustrated. He's pulling things off counters, and chewing innapropriate items.

I know he thinks we're going for a walk in the dog park without him. As far as he's concerned, that's the only place we go in the car!

I think we're going to try to keep him to a schedule on weekends, too, and stop taking him on errands, it's just that he loves meeting people, and it's good for socializing Gila, who's still very shy.

You must be vigilant in keeping 'inappropriate' things out if his reach.

Do not leave ANYTHING at all on your counter.

Nothing. At. All.

Ever.

If he is chewing shoes or remotes or kleenex or ???? ...then do not leave these 'innapropriate' items where he can get them. Put them in a drawer or closet or on a very high shelf or in a cupboard.

This may be inconvenient for you, but it will save you a lot of anguish.

If you cannot totally dog-proof your house then muzzle him.

As well...dogs don't 'think' like humans.

I'm not convinced that a dog 'thinks' that you are going to the park without him.

He just wants to be with you ..and you are going off in the car at a time that is not in your daily routine.

Yes!!

Keeping a schedule is critical to seeing improvment in your dog.

And it sounds as if he has come a long way and it is good that you realize that fact.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We also muzzle our two when we're out. It has stopped the chewing. The other thing I do when we're going out off-schedule is take the two of them out on a SUPER long walk. They come home dragging their feet and knackered. This means that they don't have the energy to get up to much when we're out. I'm guessing you already do a lot of exercise with your two, but this is what has really helped us turn the corner.

Guest got2now

My heart goes out to you - we had the same things happen that you describe here. Our girl was a bounce, very young 1.5 years) and severely afraid of every one and every thing. We tried everything from dog trainers to obedience classes to dap diffusers to you name it. She freaked out one time and cracked my wrist, and almost pulled my daughter down a flight of stairs. She ate the window frame and some laquered matchstick blinds when we were out. Then I thought, well maybe being cooped up is the problem - when I was growing up, the ideal situation was to have a fenced in yard where the dog could entertain himself outside, so I left her in the back yard. I cringe thinking about it now. Like you, I wasn't dumping her; I just didn't know any better and thought that might help. I had read everything about greyhounds. Everything, that is, except that you cannot ever leave them outside - they grow up in a crate, and the wide expanse can freak out a scared hound. Came home one day and she was gone. Posted flyers everywhere - hundreds - nothing. Four days later, we get a call, I fly down a major road near our house and can see there is something going on at the intersection by McDonald's. I screetched my car to a stop under the stoplight in the middle of rush hour traffic and ran out. A lady in a station wagon, bless her heart, was calling to our girl and begging her to come, trying to reason with her like the dog spoke English, and going towards her. Our sweet new dog trotted on to the exit ramp on I-75, with the poor lady freaking out and calling to her more. I called her name and she just kept going.

And then she stopped, like it had taken her a minute to remember my voice (she had only been with us for 2 months). She turned around, wagged her tail, and ran to me. All the cars were stopped, and I'm crying, waving and thanking to everyone like Miss America just winning her crown.

That was - gosh - 10+ years ago. She is the most awesome dog; I cannot tell you, but it took a while for her to come in to her own. Some of that came with maturity, some with getting other dogs, but a lot of it was me and just not knowing. Looking back at all the things I did wrong and right as a new owner, the biggest thing was that I treated her like fine china - took her everywhere with me, stayed home all the time with her, told her in a soothing baby voice that "it's okay" eveytime she freaked out, and tried not to make any sudden loud noises. This reinforced her insecurity, I later realized, and she fed off of my anxiety at trying to do everything to "help" her. It's like when there's turbulence on an airplane, you instinctively look back to see if the flight attendant is calm or worried before deciding on a reaction. It's not so much the alpha dog theory as much as just being calm and confident and not reacting in certain situations. Body language is a strong form of communication with a scared dog. All the behavior tips here are great, and it sounds ike you have really tried to do the best you can, and that takes commitment and perseverance. You should be commended. There's a big learning curve a lot of people don't realize because greyhounds are so different than the basic golden retreiver so many of us grew up with.

Our 2nd dog came to us with a man- biting problem. We went to the U of Ga Vet school to get help, and if you have a big vet school near you in FL, it is money well spent. They put our big guy on a low dose of prozac (the generic kind is like $5 or something at Walmart for a 90 day supply) and gave us specific behavior exercises to take home - awesome results.

With some of these dogs, they are more work than your average bichon-frisee or whatever, but they are so worth it. I can't imagine what life would be like without our once terrified or how much less of a person I'd be without she taught me.

Hard work usually pays off- your dog is very young and you haven't had her that long - but whatever happens, you sure do seem to be giving it your best effort. Just logging on here to get help is more than a lot of people will do when they have problems with a pet. Keep us posted, and feel free to pm me ifI can help you. And thanks for taking in 2 greys ;)