Magic Has Dropped 5Lbs....

Guest FrankieWylie

Guest FrankieWylie

I said in a previous thread that the boys looked like they were losing weight. Especially, Magic. Well, we took him to the vet today and he has indeed lost some weight. How do we get him to put it back on?

Vet says everything looks good, no worries there, but how do we put it back on him? What are some quick "fatten me ups?"

Fat Balls

i'd have to search for the right ingredients, but loosely:

raw hamberger

raw eggs-with shells

veg. oil

corn flakes *or equiv.

i'm missing important things,, do a search,, they are what saved my boy, and gave him a glossy coat too!

:)

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Here's the satin ball (fat ball) recipe that's usually posted here:

5 pounds of real fatty ground beef (73/27)

8 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese

16 ounce jar natural peanut butter (no salt etc.)

1 cup wheat germ

2 cups oatmeal(quick oatmeal works great)

12 egg yolks

Half and Half (to soak oatmeal)

Soak oatmeal until soft in half and half. Mix all ingredients (raw). Spoon golf ball-sized balls onto wax paper and place in the freezer. After balls are frozen, store in ziploc freezer bags until ready to use. Thaw (do not cook) in microwave for about 30 seconds. Feed one ball, three times a day. (This recipe is from the Greyhound cancer board, COG.)

That said, for Magic's best health you might want to go for a slower, steadier weight gain; at least that's what I'd do and I'll be interested to see other opinions on this. A bit more kibble or meat, more toppings at meals, more healthy treats. Slow and steady. I'd consider satin balls if there were a health/weight crisis, but fortunately that doesn't sound like what you have on your hands.

My question would be, if the vet said everything looks good, why the urgency to put weight back on quickly? Is he looking much underweight now? Hips and ribs visible? Since you're in the middle of transitioning diets, it's not unusual have some fluctuations in weight while you're getting feeding amounts figured out. In general, for weight gain in a healthy dog (or any dog with a good appetite), I'm a fan of just increasing the amount of the regular food. IMO, high fat supplemental treats can increase the risk of GI upset or pancreatitis.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I wouldn't worry yet or rush to put the weight back on quickly. When we were transitioning Peyton to raw, he lost about 5lbs, too, and he did look too thin. I just reassessed what we'd been offering and increased his portion sizes and variety. He gained most of the weight back and then leveled out. :) so my recommendation is just to increase their portions a little more and monitor the situation closely.

Edited by Gemma

Guest FrankieWylie

Thanks y'all. Yes yes the "quick fatten me ups" is a little excessive. It's just so rough to see them thinner since they are so thin to begin with.

Just need some pointers on what fattening foods are out there in a raw diet. I really feel like what we have started them out on isn't fatty enough.

I don't want to fatten him up over night but we do need to be adding in some more fattening food.

Here's the satin ball (fat ball) recipe that's usually posted here:

This one is quiet different from what i have done

no cream cheese of peanut butter in the one i've done,

they have the same end result tho,, added calories and shinny coat! :)

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Thanks y'all. Yes yes the "quick fatten me ups" is a little excessive. It's just so rough to see them thinner since they are so thin to begin with.

Just need some pointers on what fattening foods are out there in a raw diet. I really feel like what we have started them out on isn't fatty enough.

I don't want to fatten him up over night but we do need to be adding in some more fattening food.

Do you leave the skin on any chicken you serve? That's a good source of fat. We also add salmon oil to Peyton's meal (once a day). Honestly, you probably want to focus on upping the amount of protein, not necessarily the fat. If you feed more of what you're currently offering, you'll likely see him gain. I've found that greys tend to gain and lose weight quite quickly, which is a blessing and curse depending on the situation.

When I feed meat, I feed mostly beef. More fat :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FrankieWylie

cleptogrey, he was already skinny....at this point, those 5lbs were VERY noticeable!

Happy to say he appears to have put on a little more weight. Haven't had the chance to weigh him yet, but he does look a little better!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So far, we've just added a little more to each of his meals, and a lot more meaty stuff. He is in heaven LOL!