Teaching To Walk On A Treadmill

Let me ask the same question but a tad different . With winter coming soon to pa I won't be taking walks with my grey to releve energy. What do you all do? Do they really need to release energy?

I have a smaller breed dog I had before I got the grey he don't mind to hibernate for the winter

Just wants some thoughts .

Thanks

There are a few indoor dog parks in Pittsburgh. A friend of our group owns Urban Dog in Lawrenceville. There is also K9 Kingdom and Camp Bow Wow.

Guest UESBrindle

We bought a used treadmill off of Craigslist last winter thinking the same thing for Harry. Harry is VERY food motivated, was just 5 months at the time so I figured he'd be up for spending some energy in the winter, but he did not like the loud noise it made. We could get him to stand on it, but the second you turned it on, he was very skittish. We tried a number of times, with very small steps over time, but with no success.

Seconding others, I wouldn't ever use a leash to keep the dog on the treadmill - my thinking was they're on when they want to be, and if they need to/want to get off they can get off.

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm still used treadmill hunting and have done a little research and have hit a few snags and some observations are below.

1. It would be appreciated if you list something for sale, and someone is interested in buying it that you respond to them.

2. There are tonnes of sales on right now for brand new treadmills. I could get a new one for about the price of a used one.

3. It seems that the tread belt length on an average human treadmill will likely be too short for a greyhound to use at a comfortable slow jog pace.

4. I'm concerned with how the belt will actually hold up with their nails.

5. Specific dog treadmills for greyhound size costs a grand! Associate the word "pet" with anything and the price increases ten-fold.

The search continues. I have actually narrowed down a brand of dog treadmill I would prefer to buy used and will hopefully find a used or discount one for sale. http://www.petzenproducts.com/PZ1703_Large_p50499.htm

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My dog gets the exact same walk in the winter that he does in the summer.

I'd be too afraid that his leg would slip and he'd injur himself.

Get a nice warm coat and just keep walking! We live in the northeast (NY) and we do walks all year round.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest tore140

I got my grey and my corgi to both use the treadmill. They both enjoy it, although my grey's back feet nearly come off the end. I've got to find a longer one for him to really get use of it. I started treadmill work during storm season here in Florida: he's got storm anxiety, but if he's moving he's focusing on that and does so well :)

I'd think you would start with first making him comfortable with the treadmill, treat (and click - if you clicker train) for any interest on the treadmill, for standing on the treadmill, etc. Work your way up to being able to turn the treadmill on and make sure he's not scared of the noise or the movement. Leash and collar him like you would if you were going out on a walk. I'd start by just standing on the treadmill together, or perhaps next to the treadmill as it runs on a very low setting. Then stand on the treadmill with him next to you heeling, and start the treadmill on the lowest setting possible - just walking together, even just a few steps. Make sure to treat and that it stays a pleasant experience for him. End all sessions on a positive note and keep everything short. Just keep working your way up until he can walk beside you at a normal or near normal pace, and then slowly start moving over until you can stand on the side of the treadmill, and he's the only one walking. Then you stand off the treadmill... etc. By working your way up to it, you might be able to get him to walk on his own.

If you're worried about his feet slipping or pinching,make sure to keep his nails trimmed and his paw fuzz trimmed. You could also put on some boots for him. I know limbrooke83 uses slim rubber booties for her dog, DeeDee, to help with grip. (I think they might be disposable).

Make sure to supervise him so he doesn't get hurt :) Also, a lot of treadmills have a clip on a string which you can attach to yourself. If you pull the clip out, the treadmill stops. I would suggest clipping that to his collar to prevent accidents.

Anyways, that's just how I would do it :)

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest verthib

I have thought about it too with our treadmill, but decided I don't want to risk injury to him. I would be scared to death of him breaking a leg or another injury if something went wrong and he slipped or spooked on the treadmill, even if it was going slow. Those long, thin legs up on a moving conveyor belt just don't seem to be a good idea, as opposed to a more nimble breed with shorter, stockier legs.

My thoughts exactly. I won't run the risk of them getting hurt. There are plenty of things to do in the house to stimulate them safely.

Edited by verthib