Temp Elevated During Vet Visit - Stresses

Guest gomiesmom

Guest gomiesmom

Hello all,

Just had our annual visit for Gomer, all was w/ in normal Greyhound parameters ( blood, creatinine, etc).

Vet took temp and was at 103.9.

I know I read (or dreamed) normal GH temp is 103, but maybe that's after excercise or stressed; and I cannot find where I read that, so i might've dreamed it; all I can find now is 101-102.

I re-took his temp when we got home and it was 101.7; other hound right at 101.3.

This is normal, right to have the elvated temp when at the vet & stressed? He dislikes the car & the vet's office. & is always nervous. it's kind of cold today, so I had his coat on him, but they had the heat cranked up , so I took it off immediately once inside. Still nervous though, after coat came off.

Thank you

It's very normal to have an elevated temp while in the clinic.

Stress can drive the temp up. Many vets won't even take the temperature during exams because most of the time they are inaccurate.

So long as you got a normal reading (100-102.5) I wouldn't worry.

Guest gomiesmom

Thahk you - feel better now !

It's very normal to have an elevated temp while in the clinic.

Stress can drive the temp up. Many vets won't even take the temperature during exams because most of the time they are inaccurate.

So long as you got a normal reading (100-102.5) I wouldn't worry.

In fact, the last visit my boy's temp was 104+!

he is such a worry wart :blush

his normal is about 102.9,

:rolleyes:

it's good to now how your dog reacts tho,, so keep notes and start a diary. It will come in handy one day

;)

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Zema did that too. As long as temp is normal at home and you don't have symptoms that would go along with fever, not to worry.

The one thing I did was, if Zema had to have a dental or other surgery, I'd arrange for them to take her first thing in the a.m. I'd drop her off last minute and they'd take her straight back and put her under so she didn't have time to get worked up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.