Annoying Whining . . .

AEB

Kevin is a very vocal dog. Talk, talk, talk. We don't mind the singing, rooing, and talking, but the whining is making us both nuts. He has gotten whinier and whinier as time goes on. It probably started with his "puppy barking" (a high pitched demanding, needy bark). He does less of this now. We have NILF in place and have done what we know of to increase his frustration threshold. But whenever he wants something he cries. I.N.C.E.S.S.A.N.T.L.Y. at least several times a day.

We have these things called jobs. I do mine from home. The whining baby in the background is not good in my job. Usually what he wants is a walk. And usually he doesn't start until I am done working. We try not to take him until he is quiet for a while. We try to totally ignore him. When he gets his walk he usually stops. But lately he's gotten some long walks and he still cried a little while later. I don't know if he's become an exercise junkie or what. He is just this Monday off restricted activity from a broken toe. We have been taking him on respectable walks of up to maybe 1.5 miles for a couple weeks now. While he was bandaged he just ran on 3 legs until he started showing some signs of being tired and then we turned him around and walked back.

What can I do to stop the whining? I know a tired dog is a good dog but sometimes it seems we can't tire him out, or he's whining for some other reason. Walks usually magically cure whatever is ailing him. But he sometimes starts this when we cannot drop everything and attend to his every whim. I know he doesn't understand jobs and obligations. But, there must be something we can do to improve this before I put a screwdriver through my eardrum! Thanks for all replies.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest greysmitten

Hm.

I made a thread a few months back about the very same thing. She was DRIVING ME CRAZY. To compound the issue, she was a super velcro dog, so her noise was always right beside me.

Your boy could be frustrated with his injury (and scaled-back exercise routine that comes with it). Just because his body isn't ready for a solid romp, doesn't mean his mind is taking a break :)

I know it's super freaking annoying and tooth-clenching frustrating, but I can't offer much help. Sometimes dogs are really vocal. But, I have to say ... my girl doesn't whine nearly as much as she used to. It really took her months to be comfortable here and understand that I'll always come back. Yes, she still whines when she's excited or when I leave. But it doesn't last long ... thank god!

Hang in there :)

Edit: Just wanted to add - resist the urge to scold him for whining. In his mind, he is trying to communicate and he has no idea it's annoying. Sometimes, all I need to do is look at my girl and she'll stop. It tells her "Yes, I hear you", but changes little else.

Edited by greysmitten

He's probably stir crazy from being holed up for awhile :)

Can you give him a job? Perhaps a kong, or toy that requires thinking? Or watching for squirrels, or something? When you need to work, you can tell him "to go to work" and then tell him what a good boy he is when he works :)

Crazy, perhaps, but it really helped my whiney boy, long ago. He was so proud of his job and the "good job" he did protecting the yard.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

He's probably stir crazy from being holed up for awhile :)

Can you give him a job? Perhaps a kong, or toy that requires thinking? Or watching for squirrels, or something? When you need to work, you can tell him "to go to work" and then tell him what a good boy he is when he works :)

Crazy, perhaps, but it really helped my whiney boy, long ago. He was so proud of his job and the "good job" he did protecting the yard.

Oooh, Diane, love this suggestion. He just has not been himself lately. I think the whining might be secondary to whatever else is going on. And it's just when we try the various options for what might help an he's still going, it's annoying. Really it is another behavior change and I want to nip it in the bud. We know he has a big mouth and we're ok with that!

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

do what parents do, learn to tone out the kids (in this case, the whinning dog). I am always amazed how parents can totally ignore their kids when they are being so annoying...

Guest tinams8

If my (older) kids are whining a lot, I tell them to go do it somewhere else, like their bedrooms. If the dogs are whining a lot for no reason, I put them out in the yard or in their bedroom with a toy or bone.

Since he is possibly in pain, I'd go easy on him, but try to keep him busy like Diane said. Be proactive though, give the bone/kong/etc. BEFORE he starts whining or you might start a whole new problem.

Guest BrianRke

I can certainly sympathize, Daytona whines 60% of the time he is awake. I have come to the conclusion that he just likes to hear himself whine(sorta like my ex-wife did).

I ruled out every other possibility.

He isnt hungry

He doesnt have to go out

He doesnt want to play

He doesnt want attention

He isnt in pain

I can certainly sympathize, Daytona whines 60% of the time he is awake. I have come to the conclusion that he just likes to hear himself whine(sorta like my ex-wife did).

I ruled out every other possibility.

He isnt hungry

He doesnt have to go out

He doesnt want to play

He doesnt want attention

He isnt in pain

Hahaha! I agree that some just like to whine. I am hoping it is a phase. Sadie seemed to whine a lot when she was younger and eventually stopped. I hope it's the case here. I think being able to do more walking now and thinking more about entertaining him with something in the evenings will help.

finalsiggy.jpg

Maddy is a whiner. She learned it from a foster dog several years ago. Drives us INSANE. She whines for no reason at all. Sometimes she just stands in the middle of the room and whines. She also does a whine that's very soft, but at just the right tone to grate on your last nerve.

Nothing works. Ignoring her, yelling at her, squirting her, putting her outside.

Must be the stubborn broodie in her.

I keep threatening my friends that love her that they're going to find her tied to their front porch some morning.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

We also have a whiner, but I found that if you actually laugh at him he looks embarassed and goes and lies down. (The reason I discovered this is because he looked so funny, with his nose rising and dropping with every whine when he'd whine with his mouth shut that I thought it was adorable and funny as all get0-out. So I laughed. And he got this totally affronted look on his face, and after trying a few more times would go off in a huff and lie down on his bed with a huge melodramatic sigh "they don't understand me." It also worked for his puppy bark after his seizures, same look and reaction.)

Guest greysmitten

We also have a whiner, but I found that if you actually laugh at him he looks embarassed and goes and lies down. (The reason I discovered this is because he looked so funny, with his nose rising and dropping with every whine when he'd whine with his mouth shut that I thought it was adorable and funny as all get0-out. So I laughed. And he got this totally affronted look on his face, and after trying a few more times would go off in a huff and lie down on his bed with a huge melodramatic sigh "they don't understand me." It also worked for his puppy bark after his seizures, same look and reaction.)

Haha, oh my gosh! That's great :lol

Love that suggestion! Will try it and see what happens. I also like the threat to leave the pup with the frreinds that love him/her. We make the same threats- but ours are more of an offer "you want him?" lol.gif

finalsiggy.jpg