Inhaling Kibble To Point Of Choking

Guest driser

Probably did use too much

I find kibble won't absorb if you use cold water. i use a bit of hot water, take them for a 20 min walk, then it's all absorbed by then. You might also try some of the suggestions noted here if Gary eats to fast. Before spending the money though, try a muffin tin or bundt pan. Good Luck!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I soak mine in hot water until all the water is absorbed by the food. The food is mushy then and goes right down. I have several who inhale and have never had one choke on soaked food.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BlueCrab

I second the chain. I purchased a 4' long piece of fairly heavy chain at Home Depot and had them cut it into 1' lenghts. Keep one piece at home, one in the motor home, etc. so I have them wherever we feed. Seems to have done the trick at slowing down my fast eaters altho we also do wet down their food with warm water. Large, solid rubber balls or rings work too, as another poster mentioned.

What are some options for SLOWING down the inhale of kibble?! Our guy inhales so fast he throws some of it up every time. This morning he nearly choked himself unconscious.

We tried the Indipets bowl with a nob in the middle, but his snout is so narrow he can inhale around the outer loop. Has anyone tried the Brake Fast bowls? Anyone have an immediate solution?

Bundt pan at our home works.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

UPDATE - putting his moistened kibble on a large cookie sheet was a brilliant suggestion and has slowed him WAY down. It takes him 5 times longer to eat 2 cups of food when it's spread out. Problem solved here. Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: a large cookie sheet was a GREAT suggestion and has solved the problem. Our Greyhound can no longer scarf his food down to the point of choking or throwing up. It takes him SO much longer to eat when it's spread out on a cookie sheet.

Guest spascale

What are some options for SLOWING down the inhale of kibble?! Our guy inhales so fast he throws some of it up every time. This morning he nearly choked himself unconscious.

We tried the Indipets bowl with a nob in the middle, but his snout is so narrow he can inhale around the outer loop. Has anyone tried the Brake Fast bowls? Anyone have an immediate solution?

Hi!

When we first got Percy, he was doing this. We began by making him wait to eat after we placed his bowl down. We also put some water in his bowl, which helped. After a week or two, he stopped eating so fast.

Guest verthib

My boy inhaled EVERY time and choked and vomitted and repeated the process - OVER and OVER. We tried the bowls with the thing in the middle but what TRULY helped and stopped ALL choking and vomiting was adding water to his food. Now it just slides down his throat. It's simple and it works. Good luck!!

Edited by verthib

• 2 weeks later...

Just revisiting this topic....

Nixon and Ruby are 'fast eaters', but Nigel, our newest boy, is the biggest 'wolfer' I have come across in all our years of owning dogs.

Wetting his food has not helped. At all.

The 'slow feeder' bowls are very expensive here in Ontario...if you can even find them.

The other day we were cleaning closets and I came across some hockey pucks :huh left over from DH's coaching days.

And tonight I tried putting one in their bowls and it made a huge difference.

:)

Tomorrow I will try two!!

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg