Inappropriately Pottying

I am having an issue with the new girl. She has, on several occasions 3x, left a pile (thankfully she has solid poop) in one of the bedrooms,and in the same room she was wet on the bed 2x.

This is in my parents room, they are both elders. Normally access for the dogs is limited, either with the door being closed or a gate across. But my mom has Alzheimer's, and dad can get forgetful if he is stressed.

She is occasionally let into the room at bedtime to leap onto the bed and snuggle with dad a bit as I administer his bedtime eye drops. She gets 10-15 minutes and then called back out.

Any ideas of why she might be doing this?

To sort of answer my own question - She does get let out often, but i think at time she is wants to play more than potty as she should and comes in without having done her duty. But that can happen on any day, she does not potty inappropriately in any other room of the house.

And any ideas on how to stop her?

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Walk her on a leash until she poops?

If she's just having FUN in the yard, and not taking care of business...

Also, sounds like you might need to do some more thorough cleaning to make sure the scent of having gone there before isn't attracting her.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Sounds like you have enough on your plate already. My father also has Alzheimer's. This is going to be a sad Christmas. Both of their dogs died last winter, and Dad is now in a home totally incapacited.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Try thoroughly cleaning the area's with some Natures Miracle. It sounds like she's marking over where she's already gone before.

I would also leave her out until she's gone potty. Two of my boys will go out and play and forget to go so they stay out until they've gone.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

You've gotten excellent advice so far. Combine those & remember to keep at it for a good while like at least a month. Good habits take a good amount of time to become set & you don't want to allow her to have an accident in the meantime. Also, if she has an accident do not punish her. If you catch her in the act simply stop her, give a firm, low "No" & take her outside.

When you take her out on leash & she finally goes potty you can then let her off leash to go play. The leash walking may be a pain in the beginning, at least I always think so, but it quickly gets easier & has some big rewards. By leash walking her you ensure she really has done what you sent her out to do. You learn her potty schedule thus helping to shorten the length of time you need to leash walk each trip out. Plus, she learns to go out & GO before she starts playtime. This will pay off big time in bad weather.

Good luck!

i know i have some nature's miracle somewhere. Will have to search the garage.

letting them out seperatly helps them to remember they have to go, actually Harry is great about it. He does his duty then plays.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

I had a similar problem which we solved after speaking to our local adoption expert.

She reckoned that its necessary for every greyhound to understand what is their kennel and what is not. It is unusual for a greyhound to toilet in its own kennel. We made sure that our Bobby was introduced to all areas of the house properly so he understood that all the rooms he was permitted in were part of his "kennel" and therefore off limits as far as any type of evacuation is concerned.

This seemed to work.

If your new girl doesn't see the room that she only has infrequent access to as a kennel space could this be leading her to see it as a proper place for toileting.

Any mistakes need to be cleaned and then ideally treated with a biological scent type remover - although we humans cant smell anything after we clean up dogs can smell anything not properly treated after fouling.

Cheers