Outdoor Kittie Introduction Tips

Guest stacy6344

Guest stacy6344

Some of you might know of my plight from the other threads. I have outdoor barn kitties and I'm trying to find a Grey that will be accepting of them. Had a bad experience with the first one. :(

So my group let me know about Tripp. His foster mom has five kitties and a very small IG and she says that he is doing wonderfully. She said he came in...sniffed the kittie...and laid down. Now, I know that outdoor kitties are TOTALLY different. But at least he didn't want to eat the kittie right off like my first one did. He hasn't had any accidents in the house, he's crated when she's gone and all around seems like a good fit.

So...he's coming for a visit this weekend. I want some pointers on how to introduce him to the outdoor kitties. I know...muzzle and leash...but other than that does anyone have any tips?

I have wanted a Grey for so long and I'm so wanting this to work out. Thanks for any advice. :blush

Guest PhillyPups

I have no advice, but good luck. It sounds so risky to me. Is there anyway you can put a cover over the dog yard to keep the cats out? That, or leash walking would sound safest to me. Even low-prey dogs will chase a running cat in the yard. I don't have cats, am allergic nd they would not be my pet of choice if I wasnt, but I do understand your concern. Your first concern should be, and sounds like it is, the safety of the cats you have. Greyhounds are born and bred to be sight hunters, a moving object can strike a chord in the most mellow greyhound, it has been bred into them for thousands of years. A chicken wire cover over the dog pet may work (I would put it at 8' height, and would probably protect all involved.

If the greyhound does chase and/or get one of the cats, you cannot blame the grey, it is what they do.

Good luck.

Edited by PhillyPups

Beth has behaved appropriately with outdoor kitties she's met up close on leash (she lives with cats). I think that's fine (with muzzle) for your introduction. But I agree that off-leash is a whole different deal.

I would also begin immediately training a command like "leave it!" or "no kitty!" and rewarding heavily when he shifts attention from the cat to look at you -- this is the same with indoor cats. Not that the command would stop him if he ever really started to go after a cat, but it might well work if he was just getting a bit too forward in his interest.

Although I myself would not take the risk outdoors (I see how prey-driven my cat-safe Beth gets with outside cats she spots at a distance, and she was very excited the other day when one showed up by the outside of our fence), if you end up bringing this or another greyhound home I would not let him off-leash where he might encounter cats until he's met those same cats while on-leash many times and, hopefully, been smacked by them a few times. He'd have a better likelihood of seeing them as part of the family and as creatures to respect -- though once again, should instinct kick in.....

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest stacy6344

I have two very cat safe hounds but i do not trust them outside loose with cats or with other strange cats. I'm not sure I would ever trust a grey 100%.... Good luck! I hope you can find a way to make it work.

I don't think I would ever leave him unattended outside with the kitties. Even if I'm out with them in the playpen I would leave him muzzled just in case a kittie got in...that's what happened to me last time, but I was stupid and didn't have her muzzle on. I think it will just be leash walks...but I'm hoping that he doesn't want to lunge at the kitties when he sees them.

I would also get a stool guard for your muzzle. You can order them online, they have them at GEM Greyhounds' online store I know. A grey can still grab a cat through a muzzle, but not as readily if there's a stool guard.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest PhillyPups

Sadly, a dog CAN get a cat through its muzzle, and the muzzled dog is defenseless should a cat swipe its face/eye. (I happen to have a dog that got a cats tail through a fence, it was not pretty.) There are other breeds that are not sight hunters that may be a better choice.

Is there anyway you can cover the fenced yard (or as you say "playpen")? That would allow the hound time to run and play cat free. It would be safer for all involved. If a cat is running and the preydrive, which has been bred into greyhounds, kicks in, it may be too late for him to realize he got a friend.

Edited by PhillyPups

There ARE dogs (including greyhounds) who don't chase. The difficulty may be in finding one. Wishing you all the best in your search!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

As said before in your other thread, my first three wouldn't chase anything outside including cats. It will be hard though to do more than muzzle and leash at first for intro's. I would leave the leash on for a good while when the cats are around. If he will take food, when he sees a cat redirect and treat immediately. You will have a good idea when you have him out on a leash whether he wants to take off after a cat.

Like I said Jack , Jilly and Josh would be indifferent to the cats and you would know that right away.

Good luck!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

It would be a good idea not to allow your hound off leash until you can appropriately gauge his interest level in the outdoor kitties and can really assess the risk you are taking. I think your situation can work out just fine, assuming you have the right hound and allow for an appropriate socialization time for Tripp and the outdoor kitties.

As I mentioned in the other thread, both our dogs are fine with our cats unleashed outdoors. They have an acre of grass and plenty of 'time' to chase, but they prefer to lounge. When the dogs do trot up on the cats, they just sniff them and then continue on. The cats don't run and will in turn rub themselves on a dog leg. But 90% of the time, the dogs won't even address the cats' presence outside.

The one obvious difference, though, is that our dogs / cats live together in the house and see themselves as a pack, I am sure. Perhaps give Tripp some extra time to get to 'know' the outdoor kitties and be vigilant with him in the coming months.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Have you asked Tripp's foster mom how he behaves outside when he sees any critters? Squirrels, rabbits, armadillostongue.gif? That will help you gauge how he might be in your yard. Does he perk up his ears & move on? Does he get fixated?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest stacy6344

I don't know if she's had him out on walks. She said that he has a yard to play in and I don't think her kitties go outside. But she said that he hasn't shown any prey drive towards them at all. Now I know it may be totally different when he sees kitties running around by the barn through the fence. I think I will for sure leave the leash on until he gets really, really used to them and the muzzle as well. I'm hoping that he is the right one for me. His foster mom has had nothing but wonderful things to say about him. She has five cats and she said that on his first day home he walked in...sniffed the kitties and laid down. So hopefully that is a good sign. :)

Guest mcsheltie

I have two hounds that won't even chase squirrels. But I would be so very cautious for quite a long time. Once you do the initial introductions and decide he is workable in your situation these are the steps I would follow. Praise and treat good behavior thru the entire process, go as slow as you need to.

Step one: I would do the leash introductions that have already been described. And hand walk for potty breaks around the cats for quite a long time. If/when there are no reactions during step one go on to the next step.

Step two: get someone to help you. Use a toy/string or something the cats will chase and work with him in this situation. Start out with the cats moving slowly. Don't set him up for failure.

If he passed those tests I would duck tape the muzzle up to his eyeballs and progress to step three.

Step three: is one instance where a flex lead might come in handy or use a long line. You will get back a little way from him and run through steps one & two. Progress slowly until you are at the end of the flexi or long line.

I would always muzzle w/poop guard or duct tape when he was outside even if he never reacted one time.

Guest stacy6344

So you use duct tape to cover the holes in the muzzle? I have a friend with Grey's that I can take him to her house and let him play with no cats to get more exercise.

After he's home a while would you let him in the yard with the muzzle/duct tape on to play if he's had no reaction to the kitties while on a leash?

I'm so nervous! I've wanted a Grey for so long. We live in the country so the barn cats are needed to keep mice and other critters away. I'm just SO hoping that this goes well and he doesn't want to eat my outdoor kitties. :blink:

I take it if they are barn cats that they have access to areas around this fenced section of your land and don't go indoors? The cats will probably steer clear of the dog if it does happen to show an unfriendly reaction to them but some need time to learn this especially kittens who have no fear, i've 2 non-cat friendly dogs and all my neighbours have cats (letting them roam is normal in UK) so they frequently come into our garden. If the dogs are out they'll opt to take a safe route and normally run as soon as they hear my door open now because Hattie screams at them :blush, with the boys they'd just wait in a safe place to watch us because the dogs were on lead. The downside is i have to take the dogs out on lead to check there's no cats before letting them off, sometimes i'll go out & scare any off if i spot them out of the window first to save on agro with Hattie. There were feral cats hanging about at the racing kennels Hattie & Throp came from, but the many dogs their were all safely penned.

Guest mcsheltie

Yup, I duct tape the entire thing. Of course don't leave it on long. I'd work with the cats on a long line before I let him totally loose.

Like moofie said, since they are barn cats hopefully they are savvy and won't tempt fate. But don't you count on that either! Best to test him out thoroughly before you let him off lead.

If you get any intense reaction in the beginning I would try another dog. There is one out there that will fit your situation. I have one, but I'm not giving her up :colgate You may have to do some looking.

Guest stacy6344

I appreciate everyone's replys. I need all the advice I can get!!

They are barn cats, but they don't know to be afraid of dogs since our dogs now are all their buddies. :blush One of the cats eats out of my dad's dog's dish! But after what happened last time hopefully they will be a little more skiddish around the fenced yard.

According to Tripp's foster mom he has shown no prey drive towards the kittens...even when the run through the house. I know...outside kitties are different...but it at least gives me hope.

For his weekend visit I will keep him muzzled and leashed for sure and spend time just socializing him with the outdoor kitties...if they come around.

He sounds a little too good to be true! Foster mom says she hasn't had his mandage on for three days and he's had no accidents. He crates at night and when she's not home and he likes his crate. He isn't a barker. He likes to give hugs. Kitties will be our biggest obsticle.

He sounds like he's a wonderful boy. I have very high hopes that all will go well this weekend & you'll be signing the papers soon. Remember to relax & breathe - don't let him see you sweat. tongue.gif He might be a little nervous being in another unfamiliar environment so try & have lots of down time for him too.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis