I Am Newbie :)

Guest Greylove74

Guest Greylove74

Hi. My name is Tanya and I am planning on adoption of a greyhound. I am in med school right now and my graduation will be this may. I decided to wait till I will be done with my school, because it won't be fair for the dog. I a little bid concern about me not having a big backyard, but I live 10 min by walk from a local park. I had a mastiff (died from bone cancer) that I was walking twice a day over there.

After his death I thought to go "small" :)) and got me 2 yorkies, but then I got lazy and stop visiting the park. I need my walking body again!! My best friend is a greyhound lover and already 11 years with the breed. I have learned how wonderful and gracious this breed is...

I decided to adopt a senior greyfemale. I saw a TV show about the ex-racer and it broke my heart. I have found a local foundation of greyhound ex-racers and fall in love with one of them. Her mane is Katie and she is 8 years old.

Can you tell me how long do the greys live? What is the best way to exercise the older dog - bicycle rides, rollerblading, roller-skating or others? Unfortunately, I am not a good runner, but I love walking and can go miles and miles :)).....

How I said I am not adopting till May, but I want to learn everything and be prepared for my future babygrey!!!

Thank you for any help

Edited by Greylove74

Do you still have the Yorkies? I only ask to be sure that the grey you are getting is OK w/small dogs...though your adoption group probably would chat with you about that.

As far as how long they live....it ranges....we have a wonderful 11 year old....but I lost my Jack at five.

As far as exercise...walking is their favorite. I have a small fenced yard that they like to do zoomies in....but our old boy and my boy at the bridge preferred walking to even that. Be careful of the rollerblading, etc. They are not endurance dogs. They have speed - but are sprinters and tire easily. They are particularly sensitive to heat and extreme cold. If walking is what you want to do, then the eight-year old girl would probably be perfect!

Best of luck!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Greylove74

Thank you so much mychip1 for such a good reply! Yes, Katie is small dog and a cat friendly ( I have also a rescuer kitty :) ). She was adopted once, but her owener got sick and gave her back to the foundation. She lived with the small animals and a cat.

Here are her pictures: TX224.21157143-2-x.jpg

TX224.21157143-1-x.jpg

How any one can't love this angel....hope she will wait for me or I will be heart broken

Edited by Greylove74

What Mychip1 said ... an eight year old dog isn't all that senior (they can live 11-14 years) but almost certainly won't be up for rollerblading or biking. Walks, and the occasional zoomie. You do know that greyhounds can only be off leash in a fenced area, right? And not all of them are candidates for a dog park. (It isn't clear from you your post what kind of park you're talking about near by.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

She's beautiful. If she hasn't been used to walking, you will want to build her up a bit before you go for extremely long walks.

Depending on if she is at all spooky, you might want to use a harness and martingale collar. I feel much more confident doing that. It was not my habit in the past, but my Dustin slipped his collar once - and there was no worse feeling in the world than to see him off running...

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest FijiHound

It's going to be awful waiting till May!!! It was over 5 months of waiting for me to get Nugget AND IT DIDN'T GO FAST ENOUGH!!! :colgate

I'd be squishing Katie's face all the time :)

(Nugget's favourite exercise is sleeping :lol but she loves her off lead runs on the beach just as much)

Guest Greylove74

What Mychip1 said ... an eight year old dog isn't all that senior (they can live 11-14 years) but almost certainly won't be up for rollerblading or biking. Walks, and the occasional zoomie. You do know that greyhounds can only be off leash in a fenced area, right? And not all of them are candidates for a dog park. (It isn't clear from you your post what kind of park you're talking about near by.)

Yes, I know about the leash, how I stated before, my best friend has greys for the long time.

Our local park is huge - it has pool, tennis courts, and soccer and baseball fields, hills for hiking. Why do greys are not good for the parks. I am so sorry for stupid questions :)

She's beautiful. If she hasn't been used to walking, you will want to build her up a bit before you go for extremely long walks.

Depending on if she is at all spooky, you might want to use a harness and martingale collar. I feel much more confident doing that. It was not my habit in the past, but my Dustin slipped his collar once - and there was no worse feeling in the world than to see him off running...

Oh I know I am already looking at this. I had dogs for all my life and went through bunch of dog trainigs - hunting, dog showing....

I for sure will buy martingale collar and I am looking at fitpaws safety harness. Thank you for your suggestions

Yes, I know about the leash, how I stated before, my best friend has greys for the long time.

Our local park is huge - it has pool, tennis courts, and soccer and baseball fields, hills for hiking. Why do greys are not good for the parks. I am so sorry for stupid questions :)

I'm sure others will speak to this more, many here are very anti-dog park (I do use the park as I don't have much yard, but VERY cautiously and early in the morning with dogs I know). To start with, many greys are not safe with small dogs especially when they get running. (Beth, for example, is perfectly fine with small dogs on leash and with cats in a house but would not be trustworthy running after a small fluffy -- or even a medium-sized dog.) And greyhound play can be very intense, too much for many dogs -- chasing and often biting is a default greyhound style of play, and needless to say any dog a greyhound chases it catches. Plus greyhounds have super-thin skin so any altercation is likely to give them a major rip requiring lots of stitches or staples.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Greylove74

It's going to be awful waiting till May!!! It was over 5 months of waiting for me to get Nugget AND IT DIDN'T GO FAST ENOUGH!!! :colgate

I'd be squishing Katie's face all the time :)

(Nugget's favourite exercise is sleeping :lol but she loves her off lead runs on the beach just as much)

Oh I know!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so hard for me to consertrate on study. I am thinking about her all the time!!! But it will be so unfair for her to get to my life right now (that's what I keep telling my self all the time :)). I just can see her with me. I am going to try to work something out with the foundation, so she will wait for me...I HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all!!!

I'm sure others will speak to this more, many here are very anti-dog park (I do use the park as I don't have much yard, but VERY cautiously and early in the morning with dogs I know). To start with, many greys are not safe with small dogs especially when they get running. (Beth, for example, is perfectly fine with small dogs on leash and with cats in a house but would not be trustworthy running after a small fluffy -- or even a medium-sized dog.) And greyhound play can be very intense, too much for many dogs -- chasing and often biting is a default greyhound style of play, and needless to say any dog a greyhound chases it catches. Plus greyhounds have super-thin skin so any altercation is likely to give them a major rip requiring lots of stitches or staples.

Our local park is ONLY the leash-on park. Is it will make a difference? thank you

Edited by Greylove74

You don't say where you're located but perhaps your adoption group can put you in touch with a greyhound play group in your area. We try to exercise Summer with other greys anywhere from once to 3-4 times a week. On top of that, she has a decent back yard to play and zoomie in. I also play in the yard with a lure pole and she'll happily chase anything I throw. All of our greyhound play dates occur in fenced baseball diamonds and several of us have portable sturdy gates that we install at the dugout entrances, so the diamond is thus fully enclosed. When we walk her, which isn't a regular thing since she doesn't need it for exercise, it's usually around 1.5km although I've taken her up to 4km and she was fine. But not in the hot weather, she would never tolerate that.

The park you describe doesn't sound contained. I wouldn't let your future pup off-leash in there. And with the hugeness of it, you could potentially lose sight of her.

Good luck with adopting your girl -- she's beautiful!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I adopted 10.5 year old Treasure when she was 8.5 years old. She was the second hound that I adopted at age 8.5 years. Both have been very active and lots of fun. Loca (the first 8.5 year old adoptee) lived until 13.5. There are never any guarentees and I don't think "older" should ever be a reason to not adopt. Personally I love the older ones. They have lots of spunk and for the most part, what you see is what you get :).

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Greylove74

Just so you know how far and fast she 'could' go off leash...

WOW!!! What beautiful dogs you have!! How nice that they can run in the water.

Thank you for the video and now I am a little consern. I don't have a big yard and the beach. Our local park is leash on only. Would be enough for 8 yo baby the long walks. I am looking at flyball activities, but I don't know if it is something that greys will be interested in.

Thank you guys for all of your help. Thats why I am here!!! I am not a selfish person and if I will see that greyhound is not for me (or me not good for greyhound)..I won't do it.

Thank you again :)

It sounds like she is talking about a nature park (state, county, etc.) rather than a dog-park. ;)

Yes, it is local city park and not a dog park. :)

Edited by Greylove74

Long walks are fine. Maybe after you get your greyhound you can find a local group that gets together and has fun runs in enclosed ball parks where the dogs can be let off leash. Lots of greyhounds live very happy lives just taking daily walks, not everyone has the benefit of a yard or a beach to run on. It doesn't mean your hound is missing out on anything at all. These hounds adapt to all sorts of living arrangements and are very happy!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Greylove74

Long walks are fine. Maybe after you get your greyhound you can find a local group that gets together and has fun runs in enclosed ball parks where the dogs can be let off leash. Lots of greyhounds live very happy lives just taking daily walks, not everyone has the benefit of a yard or a beach to run on. It doesn't mean your hound is missing out on anything at all. These hounds adapt to all sorts of living arrangements and are very happy!

Thank you so much, for a second I've thought that my future with Katie in jeopardy. Thank you again.

Guest FijiHound

Goodness I didn't mean to make you worry! :colgate Just 'knowing' they're fast and 'seeing' how fast they go are two different things :blink:

Nugget is only 2.5 years old :lol and we're lucky here in Fiji with the beach etc. Unfortunately she IS the only greyhound in Fiji and I would love being able to go to one of those greyhound playgroups :colgate

Want to swap for a week??? ;)

(I guess I could start saving up and be able to afford to bring another grey in another year or two :lol )

Guest Greylove74

Goodness I didn't mean to make you worry! :colgate Just 'knowing' they're fast and 'seeing' how fast they go are two different things :blink:

Nugget is only 2.5 years old :lol and we're lucky here in Fiji with the beach etc. Unfortunately she IS the only greyhound in Fiji and I would love being able to go to one of those greyhound playgroups :colgate

Want to swap for a week??? ;)

(I guess I could start saving up and be able to afford to bring another grey in another year or two :lol )

Oh, don't worry. I appreciate for the honest information. That's why I am educating myself, because I want what the best for greyhound baby....I am on the second place :)

Thank you again

Edited by Greylove74

Guest FijiHound

For walking a martingale collar is the way to go with greys (plus they come in awesome colours - Nugget has 6 more on the way :blink: )

She also wears 1 inch tag collar around the house just to hold her tags in case of. We had an in case of moment earlier this month - we lost Nugget for 9 days! When we found her she still had her tag collar on so at least if anyone had been able to get a hold of her all her info was on that.

But for walking - strictly martingale - and not to be worn indoors as it could become a choking hazard!

There's lots of great sites to pick from with martingale collars and it's also extremely addictive - hence the 6 making their way here to join the other 6 she already has :lol

Guest Greylove74

For walking a martingale collar is the way to go with greys (plus they come in awesome colours - Nugget has 6 more on the way :blink: )

She also wears 1 inch tag collar around the house just to hold her tags in case of. We had an in case of moment earlier this month - we lost Nugget for 9 days! When we found her she still had her tag collar on so at least if anyone had been able to get a hold of her all her info was on that.

But for walking - strictly martingale - and not to be worn indoors as it could become a choking hazard!

There's lots of great sites to pick from with martingale collars and it's also extremely addictive - hence the 6 making their way here to join the other 6 she already has :lol

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

These colours would look great on Katie - can you tell I have the day off from work today :lol

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1067659648038196329HWpwcJ

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1073001611038196329fkkrna

Ha-ha!!!....And you can tell how I am studying!!!! :)