Replacement For Frontline?

My vet no longer sells Frontline. It seems the manufacture now makes a product called "Certifect". The Side A ingredients are: 9.8% Fipronil and 8.8% (S) methoprene and 81.4 other ingredients. The Side B ingredients are: 22.1% Amitraz and 77.9% other ingredients. Is this safe to give to my hounds?

Thanks

Guest IrskasMom

I just called my Vet about Certifect and they never heard of it . But she mentioned a Brandnew Item in Replacement of Frontline ,made by the same Company (Novartis) that is called " PARASTAR " . It supposed to work faster on Ticks then Frontline but does the same for Fleas. We will see ,I have not checked with PetMeds or Foster and Smith. :)

For Cats For Dogs HomeProduct DetailsHow to ApplyAbout ParasitesFor VeterinariansVisit remindmypet.com Introducing Parastar™ Plus.

Double-action tick and flea control.

Combines two active ingredients for quick-killing, long-lasting action.

Starts killing ticks in as little as 1 hour.

Works significantly faster than other flea and tick products.*

Available for dogs of every size:

For dogs and puppies 12 weeks of age or older up to 22 lbs.

For dogs 23–44 lbs

For dogs 45–88 lbs

Edited by IrskasMom

On the box of Certifect it says "From the makers of Frontline". It also says it kills ticks within 6 hours. It says it is waterproof. It is made by Merial. I looked it up on 800 Pet Meds and they have it and say it is OTC and no prescription needed. They were about $10.00 cheaper for 6 applications. I really trust my vet, but am nervous about new products.

Guest LittleGreys

Our vet is now recommending Vectra 3D.

That's what I use, as well as my vet, works well on our Greyhounds, no problems, even on Munchie with all her health issues.

Certifect is essentially Frontline with an extra active ingredient added to kill ticks faster. The extra ingredient is a low dose of amitraz - the same active ingredient in Preventic collars. Here's a previous post with more details. While I haven't used it yet, Certifect appears to be a much better product if your dog gets ticks. If you don't have much of a tick problem, I'd stick with Frontline or Advantage/Advantix. IMO, no need to expose your dog to extra chemicals if it's not necessary.

But she mentioned a Brandnew Item in Replacement of Frontline ,made by the same Company (Novartis) that is called " PARASTAR " . It supposed to work faster on Ticks then Frontline but does the same for Fleas.

Frontline and Certifect are made by Merial. Parastar and Parastar Plus are made by Novartis. Parastar is essentially a generic version of Frontline. It's Parastar Plus that kills ticks faster, and it looks like it works along the same lines as Certifect. However, the extra ingredient in Parastar Plus that improves its tick efficacy is cyphenothrin, which is a synthetic pyrethroid that has been used in OTC flea/tick products like Sergeants. While amitraz (used in Preventic collars and Certifect) is far from a benign chemical, it has a long history of use in the veterinary field.

Cyphenothrin does not seem to be one that has been used much, and I have some doubts about the safety profile. From what I can tell, the amount of cyphenothrin used in Parastar Plus is fairly low. And Novartis is one of the more familiar veterinary pharmaceutical companies (they make Interceptor and Sentinel along with a number of other well-trusted products), so Parastar Plus may be fine, but I would probably be more likely to use Certifect if I needed the extra tick protection just because I am more familiar and comfortable with the ingredients.

Which one is the flea med/ heartworm combination med?

There are several flea/heartworm combo meds available these days. These include:

- Revolution - fleas and heartworms (no intestinal parasite

protection and not great for ticks)

- Advantage Multi - fleas, heartworms, intestinal parasites

(no tick protection)

- Sentinel - heartworms, intestinal parasites, and prevents

flea eggs from hatching (doesn't kill adult fleas or ticks)

- Trifexis - fleas, heartworms, and intestinal parasites

(no tick protection)

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Are all of the above mentioned preventives safe to use with cats residing in the same house?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

The products are safe in household with cats as long as they are never accidentally applied to the cat, and the cat is not allowed to ingest it. For cats that actually groom the dog, I'd separate them and make sure any topical products are dry before allowing them back together. Otherwise, casual contact and even snuggling or sharing a bed shouldn't expose the cat to enough of the product to cause problems.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest mountain4greys

Frontline did not work on our hounds this year at all. I was very disappointed. So we tried Advantage II. It worked great on the fleas. I also used the Preventic collars when the ticks were bad.