Very Smelly Breath

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

My foster Dotty has horrible breath, almost to the point where it smells rotten. But the thing is, she recently had a dental (2 months ago?) and she had almost all her teeth pulled except for her canines and front teeth.

Is this something that should be brought up to the vet? I don't understand why her breath smells so horrible.

It could be gum disease or an absess, or kidney trouble, or probably other possibilities. Are there any swollen glands on either or both sides of the neck? I'd sure call the vet about it, in any case.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Since she lost so many teeth, obviously they were in bad shape. Perhaps one of those few that are left is infected. I would get her checked. Hopefully just a tooth issue. Our old boy, EZ, has only half of his teeth left and he gets infections occasionally. I always know because of the smell.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest zombrie

It could be gum disease or an absess, or kidney trouble, or probably other possibilities. Are there any swollen glands on either or both sides of the neck? I'd sure call the vet about it, in any case.

Kidney trouble was my first thought. I've noticed she doesn't drink much and she's always a little dehydrated (when you pull the skin on her neck, the skin stays up)

I'm writing an email to the director of my group and kennel manager to ask if they think I need to take her in to get looked at.

Guest zombrie

Assuming it's nothing medical, you might try putting a Wysong product called Dentatreat on her food. I found it helped a lot with Angel Arlie's breath in the early days especially. The board-certified dental surgeon I take the dogs to approved of the ingredients.

I'll look into it - thank you!

Kidney trouble was my first thought. I've noticed she doesn't drink much and she's always a little dehydrated (when you pull the skin on her neck, the skin stays up)

I'm writing an email to the director of my group and kennel manager to ask if they think I need to take her in to get looked at.

This happened to Spencer last spring, with the dehydration. We had to give him sub-q fluids a couple times. Then his vet found the swollen glands and ordered a dental. All was well, until now the swollen glands are back, so he's on Clavamox.

ETA: The stinky breath is back too. :(

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I've noticed she doesn't drink much and she's always a little dehydrated (when you pull the skin on her neck, the skin stays up)

Pull the skin on her back. For greyhounds, it's more reliable than the neck. ;)

I'd try Maxiguard. It has worked on my dogs like nothing else has. Dazzle's breath doesn't even smell anymore, and Echo's is not nearly as bad as it was.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest zombrie
I've noticed she doesn't drink much and she's always a little dehydrated (when you pull the skin on her neck, the skin stays up)

Pull the skin on her back. For greyhounds, it's more reliable than the neck. ;)

I'd try Maxiguard. It has worked on my dogs like nothing else has. Dazzle's breath doesn't even smell anymore, and Echo's is not nearly as bad as it was.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it on her back whenever she gets up :)

We've used Maxiguard for years & have been very pleased with it. My dog's vet recommended it & later BF's cat's vet suggested it. (Compliance is a problem though when trying to squirt gel into a cat's mouth.) It it best started right after a dental to prevent future tartar buildup but we've seen improvement of mild problems. For the breath issue it works well & quite very fast.

I don't know that it addresses breath, but there is a very, very safe product called Healthy Mouth that you can add to their drinking water that has been clinically proven to discourage plaque from adhering to teeth (it is approved by the VOHC). It turns the water green and you want to introduce it slowly. I began using it after their last dentals at the end of last year, and in combination with brushing, their teeth still look great. Jaynie has latent kidney issues and Healthy Mouth is safe for her.

They've recently introduced gels, but I am sticking with the water additive product because it's so easy, and because I don't want to bug them too much on top of brushing.

Because Arlie had particularly poor teeth, I also used Dentatreat on her food in the evening (because I brush in the AM and didn't want to remove the benefit of the Dentatreat).