Accidents Only Happen On Weekends, After Hours And On Holidays

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

For the third time in as many weeks, I might be taking my hound in to the e-vet. Coming here to see if you think it's necessary.

We were playing in the yard w their favorite bouncy-squeeky toys and Swiftie had blood in her mouth.

It looks like she either lost a tooth on the side of her gums, or, one of her upper teeth bit into her gum where she may have already not had a tooth and made an indentation and it's bleeding.

The wound basically looks like a little red pulpy crater (it's not horrendous, but something definitely just happened).

She doesn't seem in pain and the bleeding has slowed.

Should I clean it up as best I can w hydrogen peroxide here at home and wait and see how she's doing, or should I take her to the e-vet to have them inspect?

Ughghghghh!!

I'd flush it with water or saline rather than hydrogen peroxide, and see how she's doing in a bit.

I know what you mean, tho. Why can't they do these things during normal business hours?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lynne893

Ok- I boiled some water with salt, let it cool and I'll dab at the wound with saline cotton swabs.... see how she does.

I'm just worried about it becoming infected or impacted w food.

Will update you in a few hrs.

TY for the advice!

Maybe a visit to her regular vet tomorrow. If the wound stays open, the vet might want her to have antibiotics.

Sam got in a squabble with Oreo once upon a time. His cheek was bleeding, and I thought she'd bitten him--until I noticed a bigger hole inside his mouth than outside. He'd bitten through his own cheek. Healed fine.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest KennelMom

Rinse it and see how it goes...wouldn't be at the evet unless dog was in pain and/or bleeding was profuse and uncontrollable. Losing little teeth generally isn't a big deal.

Guest Plygreygirl

I feel your pain!!! A couple of month ago we ran into an off leash fox terrier who hates my girls!! As she came charging out at us across the street I qickly look both ways hopeing ther was no one coming. I just that instant she went after my 73 lbs grey Mia. I did not see them have contact but something happened. I started walking back to the terriers house and as we got across the street the owner came out with a another guy. The neigbor was getting into there car when his dog came after us. So trying to make peace with this dog I stayed and talked to the guy for a few minutes. As I look down I see blood coming from Mia's mouth. Not too bad but bleeding. As I walk away I realized that the tooth was coming out of her mouth sideways!! So reached in and pulled out what was left of the tooth!. So long story to get to the point. I was worried that there was still tooth left in the mouth and was worried it would hurt her or need to come out. Yes this happened on a Sunday afternoon and yes I'm thinking I will be making a run to the eVet but the bleeding stopped pretty quick.

So took her to the regular Vet the next day! He really so no problem with the situation if there was still tooth left it would most likely work it way out. But to watch her for any signs of infection.

If the bleeding stops pretty quick as in this situation maybe you can hold off from the eVet and if it stills looks bad tommorow try the regular Vet as I did!! Good luck! I know whats it like to have a accident hound! My Mia is well aquainted with the eVet and our regular one. She is such a klutz and the fact that she proably was born under the wrong star!!!

Guest lynne893

Swiftie seems totally okay. Thank you for all of your calm advice. I'm SO glad I didn't take her to the e-vet.

She won't let me inspect her lower gum to look at the wound, you know, they don't like us messing around with their mouths! But from what I can see she's no longer bleeding and it doesn't look swollen. She's eating normally, doesn't seem in any pain.

(I have been soaking her food for a few minutes before feeding her to soften it up.)

THANK YOU all!!