Preferred Costco Brand Dog Food

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I am heading out to Costco this weekend to pick up dog food, I am not sure what kind I want to pick up and am wondering what other people prefer?

The only kind I cannot get it lamb because Vegas has got itchy on lamb before and Im not up for him reacting to it again.

What formula does everyone prefer?

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I buy the chicken and rice (maroon bag) and have for years all my dogs do well on i t. Both of the natures domain (turkey and salmon) have been mixed in with the chicken and rice at different times. My dogs love them but im a firm believer in "if it ain't broke dont fix it" so will no be switiching over.

We buy both the chicken and rice and the lamb and rice. I mix both for my pups so they get two protein sources.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest borzoix4

I use the Chicken and rice Kirkland also as the same rating as Blue Buffalo life I was feeding.

The difference- In Blue I would buy 30 pounds for 49.95 due to their new advertising rates, and with Kirklands I can get a total of 80 pounds of food FOR THE SAME PRICE! AND- its the same rating as the Blue Buffalo.

We tried the Lamb and Rice but having also 4 Borzoi, the fat content was just too low and Hollllly Cow- - did we have a shed of coat.

The chicken did much better.

Also- I am going to note that Kirkland puppy food is the ONLY puppy food that does not have a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the Calcium and Phosphorus ratio. Considering these are bonding agents, its the first kibble food I found that has a 1 percent difference if that.

"Vitality" Chicken and Rice, made by Dogswell. (Orange, white with yellow bag)

This food is listed in Whole Dog Journal's annual list of approved foods ("WDJ's Approved Dry Foods"), and is the only food sold at Costco that has made their list. Not sure if all Costco's carry it yet. If you don't see it at your local Costco, you could ask them to stock it.

Kirkland Lamb and Rice. My two didn't tolerate the chicken and rice as well; their coats became duller, the boy started eating poop, and their skin became a little dry. They've been on the lamb and rice for several years, and both started eating poop again (gross!!!!), so I am debating on trying a different formula.

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Guest PhillyPups

Kirkland Chicken and Rice mixed with their Salmon and Sweet Potato with a fish oil cap thrown in and some yogurt, shiney coats, good poo, makes a Mama happy. :)

And every other time I go I pick up a bed, have 5 n the back of the van, they last forever, I take the whole bed when needed to the laundromat and throw it in the super huge washers, come out like new every time. At the price of $19.99 they are like "disposable" beds, but they never seem to wear out. :lol

Guest FreddyGirl

Can someone post for me the calorie content per cup for the Kirkland Chicken and Rice and Lamb and Rice?

I have 2 who are on the chubby side (hypothyrod and tend to gain weight easily) and have been feeding them reduced calorie chicken soup...