Odor In My Healthy Grey

Guest Kicker

My 8 year old grey who just had his teeth cleaned and has been on antibiotics and who has otherwise checked out as healthy by the vet has a bad odor. He eats high quality lamb and rice food and drinks lots of water. He eats some people food, mostly broccoli and lean meat. We thought the smell was perhaps his teeth (he has had several pulled) but when he came home from his last cleaning he still smells bad, kind of like stinky feet. We alternate between two dog beds so that his bedding is fresh and clean.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing the odor? We try not to bathe him too often, but this too doesn't seem to help.

Thanks!

Are you able to tell what part of your hound the odor is coming from? (i.e. if it's his teeth, does it stem from his mouth/breath?)

Are you able to tell what part of your hound the odor is coming from? (i.e. if it's his teeth, does it stem from his mouth/breath?)

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

It isn't his breath, it seems to come from his fur on his back, but it is hard to tell.

If it comes from his rear or butt, he may need to have his anal glands expressed. The Vet can do it.

Or if his breathe was really stinky prior to his dental, the fur from where he normally just licks may have residual odor on it.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Sounds like his anal glands may need expressing.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Has his poop become soft-serve and/or orange? One of our hounds developed an infection that caused his fur to smell, though that became the least of our worries. It seems to have happened because of the antibiotic he took post-dental causing other bacteria in his intestine to over-grow and become an infection. It's not an entirely rare thing to have happen.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest mbfilby

Our Myka insists on nestling under blankets and on her humans which causes her to become very warm, and makes her feet smell. Washing her feet every few days helps.

Has his poop become soft-serve and/or orange? One of our hounds developed an infection that caused his fur to smell, though that became the least of our worries. It seems to have happened because of the antibiotic he took post-dental causing other bacteria in his intestine to over-grow and become an infection. It's not an entirely rare thing to have happen.

His stool is firm, but since he did come off of antibiotics I am thinking it may be some type of yeast infection. thanks