Our Girl Is A Chewer ..

Guest harperthegrey

Guest harperthegrey

Hi There

I am not sure where to start with with my query so I will give you all some background. Harper is an 18month old amazing girl who was handed into a dog rescue group in NSW, Australia by her breeder/owner as she was a lusy racer & didnt want to chase. We found out about her through a friend that works with the greyhound rescue group of NSW and 2 months later she came to live with us here in South Australia. She was put through the GAP (Greyhound adoption prog) and was found to be tolerant of children) (We have a 4yo girl and a 2yo boy), cats (1) & chickens (of which we have 2). Harper has been our 4-legged third child for 3 months now.

We did a lot of reading up on what to do/expect and how to help her settle in well and so far all is going amazing except she seems to have a bit of a chewing issue.We let her have her space for the first few days, gave her plenty of love and kept the kids away so she would be able to settle in well - without his help! After about 3 days she was wagging her tail and nosing her way into every situtation she could. Was laying on the floor while the 2yo cuddled up to her and was licking his face (which we didnt expect and are not sure we condone).

We also baby gated the study so she has a safe zone to go to escape Master 2 who can be a bit rambunctious but over the past 2 weeks is spending less time in the study and more time in the play/family room where the kids play and we watch tv.

She gets 2-3 good LONG walks (at least 2 hours each time) a week, it is illegal to take her off leash in a public place here in SAust so we cant let her go zooming anywhere but home but we have a very big backyard (in Aust its called a half acre) and it is fully fenced where she has spots to lay and that can seee the world through and gardens to to dig in and a sandpit that she likes to dig in with the kids. She zooms around in it very happily and has 2 children that she chases around the yard too. Shes happy, the tail wagging, roaching and smiles tell us that.

I have tried walking her more, quite often she sees me get the leash and me get excited about walking her and she just goes back to bed "thanks for the offer mum, but I dont feel like it". Shes stubborn and cant be budged once she has made up her mind. On a few walks lately she has literally just stopped and decided she doesnt want to go any further - a bit difficult if your not even close to home, but funny for any passing traffic.

Her one main problem is that she chews. Mostly the kids story books or shoes but pretty much anything that is not put away becomes 'property of harper' and will have some sort of teeth marks in it. She tries to chew everything and if it cant be she then hides it in her bed. We have tried giving her things that we have worn so she has our scent etc but it hasnt worked. She doesnt seem to have a problem with us when we do leave her and the neighbours have not expressed any concerns about her whining when we are out without her.

There is no agggression in her at all. Shes as mellow as can be. We give her a kong filled with kibble, peanut butter & doc treats everytime we have to go somewhere and are not able to take her (which isnt often) she loves a car ride and as she settles is becoming a very socialble girl, which we love.

I am hoping someone with more experience can tell me if the chewing is a SA thing (although it only happens when we are home) as she is locked outside when we are out or a boredom thing and how I can stop it.

Feel free to private message me if you need more information :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope it wasnt too long winded. I wanted to make sure I covered it all :)

Cheers

Janet

I put a turnout muzzle on Treasure every time i leave the house. She likes to eat the occasional remote control. every time shr's chewed something, it was my fault for leaving it within her reach. I think that it's difficult with young kids, but is their any way everything can be placed out of her reach before you leave the house?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest GreyGary91806

My boy used to chew anything in site, I have been giving him antlers, bully sticks and himalayan dog chews... Since then the reckless chewing seems to have come to a halt

Guest BrianRke

She is still very much a "puppy" as far as greyhounds go. I would be worried that she may get something and chew it that could be harmful to her. My girl was a chewer too for about the first year I had her. She will still take off with a shoe every once in a while.

If I were you, I would muzzle or crate her while you are gone for her safety. I have also successfully used bitter apple spray as a deterrent on such things as remotes, shoes, bin lids, etc.

Great time to learn how to properly dog proof! Pick up and put things away, make absolutely sure there isn't anything about she can hurt herself on if she chews it, give her something she CAN chew that is safe for when you're not home, and this too shall pass!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We had a lot of trouble with Spinner helping himself to all kinds of objects and often chewing them up when he first came to us. We dog-proofed like crazy, and that helped a lot, but I remember the day he heisted a gallon bottle of vinegar I'd brought home from the store and set near the garage door, and one time, a glass jar of pizza sauce from the dining room table. He'd fish dishes out of the dishwater in the sink and always, always steal our shoes. Nothing like a chewing dog to remind kids to pick up their stuff!

Over time, he mellowed. He now steals only shoes or other items related to walking (dog collars, leashes, muzzles, or the fanny pack I carry poop bags in). He especially delights in stealing the shoes of houseuests. Thankfully, he no longer chews any of this! He just hauls it to his bed and sleeps with it.

2 of our other hounds stole (but didn't chew) objects like shoes during the first year, but then stopped completely on their own.

My best advice would be to clear the decks and wait it out. A little Bitter Apple on items you really need to keep out but protect can work.

I can sympathize with the walking problem, too. I have one reluctant walker and one who refuses to budge the minute I try to turn him toward home on a walk. I've been stranded 2-3 miles from home with a 75-lb dog, trying to carry him down the street but always stopping to rest, until a passing dog walker caught his interest and got him moving. I now walk him when somebody else is home and take the cell phone in case I need to call for a ride!

Sounds like a puppy thing.

Great time to learn how to properly dog proof! Pick up and put things away, make absolutely sure there isn't anything about she can hurt herself on if she chews it, give her something she CAN chew that is safe for when you're not home, and this too shall pass!

:nod

Lots of supervised time and when she does grab something inappropriate, trade it for something appropriate. Good idea to teach a "give" cue so that you can ask her to give things up to make the trade.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Swifthounds

She's going to teach you the value of dog proofing and picking up after oneself.

I would buy her something appropriate to chew like a bully stick and when you see her with something inappropriate, interrupt and redirect to an appropriate chew.

Muzzle when you can't supervise. This is important because eery time she chews inappropriately and isn't redirected it reinforces the inappropriate chewing.

She is still very young for a grey. Lots of good advice above esp. taking away what you don't want her to have and replacing it with something you do want her to have. Lots of positive reinforcement when she is doing things right and lots of patience. The muzzle can be your and her best friend.