Jewels Latest Vet Visit;

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

I tooke her in for her laser treatment and to get her drain removed (yay!) and the vet took a look, did a sniff test, and ran a quick culture from the area where the drain was pulled. He did find some traces of bacteria and he went ahead and added some Clavamox to the Clindamycin and Baytril. Other than that, she's looking good. I don't have a picture; but he has been keeping a photo record since she first went in so we can see the healing progression. He's going to email me the photos when she is closer to better. Basically, her neck wounds (which were small) are all but healed. The huge flap area is looking good; but there is about a three-quarter inch by one and a half inch area where the drain went thru, and where he couldn't get quite enough skin to pull together, that will have to granulate in. he offered me the option of going back into surgery, trimming that area up a little and closing it; but there is no guarantee that stitches or staples will hold and trimming it back even more could create more trouble. I told him I would see how it looks in a day or two. The edges should start to pull in and the "hole" should get smaller.

He also sent me home with a bag of saline and a syringe so I can keep that area clean and flushed. Right now she has a redneck "BiteNot" collar on (a towel, folded in thirds and wrapped around her neck, secured with diaper pins!) So far it's keeping her from reaching back and licking. And she's on the couch next to me. :) Here's a photo before we went to the vet's (don't worry, no gore, she has a Tshirt on!)

DSC_1006.jpg

Note the stink eye! I love this sweet girl...

Keep healing, sweet pea!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So glad to hear the great update! Hope she continues to recover very smoothly!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest FullMetalFrank

Notice I was feeling sorry for her, so I gave her one of the new "Owl Hoot" collars... LOL she probably would have preferred a biscuit!