Took Miriam To The Vet Tonight

When I got home from work today, I found that Miriam had explosive diarrhea while in her crate. I even had to clean the wall next to the crate. It apparently happened earlier in the day, because some of it had to be scrubbed. I let Miriam and Dixie out while I got to work on cleaning. I thought I heard a yelp, but wasn't sure because it is very windy here tonight. I looked outside, and both Miriam and Dixie looked fine. Miriam wanted to go out again a little while later and this time as she squatted she yelped several times. So I started making phone calls to find a vet who would see her after hours. The vet did xrays and stool analysis and everything is normal. Her intestines are inflamed though from the diarrhea. I was sent home with diarsanyl and metronidazole.

My current suspicion is the Purina One Lamb and Rice. On Friday, Saturday and Monday morning, Dixie through up her breakfast almost immediately after eating. Miriam has been also eating it, but she didn't have any episodes of diarrhea until today, and she never threw up.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, can someone recommend a food for sensitive stomachs that doesn't have chicken as the main ingredient?

Thanks,

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Ok Annette- who's Miriam? Is this a new girl for you?

Sorry she wasn't well. The metronidazole should help pretty quickly.

I found my guys couldn't handle lamb at all. I found that Solid Golds WolfKing to be pretty tummy friendly. It's Bison based so it naturally lower in fat-- fat is hard to digest.

I'm sure others will chime in with other diet ideas.

You know da rule-- pictures please!!

Ok Annette- who's Miriam? Is this a new girl for you?

Sorry she wasn't well. The metronidazole should help pretty quickly.

I found my guys couldn't handle lamb at all. I found that Solid Golds WolfKing to be pretty tummy friendly. It's Bison based so it naturally lower in fat-- fat is hard to digest.

I'm sure others will chime in with other diet ideas.

You know da rule-- pictures please!!

Tracy,you can find Miriam's introduction over here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/275630-what-a-ruckus/page__p__5004275#entry5004275

038-1.jpg

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest PiagetsMom

Miriam was my grandmother's name.......pretty name for a pretty girl.

Sorry about the stomach issues. Mirage has done well on the TOTW Pacific Stream, and I recently switched him over to the TOTW Lamb formula and he seems to be doing well on that, too. Both are grain free.

Guest KennelMom

Flagyl usually helps pretty quickly. Many of ours don't tolerate lamb well either. If you need to avoid chicken, I'd look for bison or fish based food. We feed raw and have one dog allergic to chicken so she gets the Nature's Domain from Costco - grain free, salmon based. She's lookin' (and feeling) pretty darn good now!

Edited by KennelMom

Hope she's feeling better! I just love those cow doggies!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

How's she feeling today? She's beauitful and I just love her name!

Edited to add-- how's Roy feel about your new edition? I'm sure he's happy to have another little girl in the house!

Today she is rather calm. I think yesterday wore her out. She never lost her appetite through it all (she always willing to eat and she did not get a meal last night). She had a small meal of hamburger and rice for breakfast. She was also wary of going outside this morning (considering the stress last night). When I got home tonight she didn't hesitate to go outside and stick her nose where it doesn't need to be. (She always goes out and pokes Dixie in the butt when she pees, then Dixie turns around and does the same thing to her :blink: )

Roy loves his little girl. When she came here for fostering, Dixie immediately adopted her. She didn't act with Eddie (who is a lot like Rhett) like she acted with Miriam. Well, Miriam's adoption fell through and Dixie got to adopt her "sister". He is working 90 miles west of here, so he is home only on weekends. Now that he has an apartment without stairs, I will head out there more often on the weekends. Miriam is still wary of Roy.

Right now he is probably glad he isn't here. First it started when he traveled back and forth with his apartment kitty. In the beginning it seemed as though Casey and our old kitty, Lefty, could live in relative peace. Lefty started using her litter boxes less and less. After Casey decided to pull a chunk of hair out of her, he no longer was welcome to come to visit. Lefty then completely stopped using the litter boxes. So the cure was to kick Miriam out of the crate, and put Lefty in it. After a couple months in solitary, Lefty learned to use the litter box again.

While Lefty was still living in the crate, it seemed as though a switch was turned on Miriam, and she started peeing in the house. Now she is back in the crate when I am at work. I was going through paper towels and cleaner like crazy. Then Friday, Saturday and Monday morning, Dixie started throwing up her breakfast after eating. And now Miriam's diarrhea.

Hopefully I will be doing a little less cleaning up for a while.

I picked up some TOTW bison and venison formula. After a few more days of hamburger and rice, I will gradually add that to the pups diets.

Annette