Barks And Growls At No One In Particular

Initially, Tracker wouldn't even scratch the dirt when peeing/pooping. After a few months, he started scratching, which I attributed to feeling more comfortable in his environment. That went on for a few months. Then, he added growling (well, or groaning--it's hard to tell. He'll make the exact same growly/groany sound when I rub his butt), and the scratching got ever more vigorous, to the extent that he now walks backwards, like in Michael Jackson's Moon Walk. A few weeks ago, he added the bark. Just one bark, in the exact same spot along the walk. But today, he went all out. He did this to such a degree that I started getting a bit concerned. We were all alone for most of the walk, and he took the barking part to a whole new level. He just went on and on, while digging up half of California. There was no person, no other dog, nothing there that could have upset him. Anybody's dog does this, too? It mostly amuses me, but it unsettles me, too, though I don't know what the worry would be... is he just announcing to the world he's here?

He very quiet otherwise.

Wow!! Mine dig aggressively in the yard.....and Dustin will yap and groan when he is burrowing in the dirt and straw in the yard, but mine haven't done that on the walks..... Wish I could help....hopefully it's just play!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sounds like he's marking his territory. It distributes his scent so others will know he's been there. He sounds like he's enjoying the heck out of it. I'd just encourage him to move on.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

sounds like he is marking terriorty, if it bothers you just tell him to knock it off and direct him into some other activity. remember, you are top dog! it could be really funny if you could direct this into pee/play ball- i see it now :gh_bow

The redirecting the peeing into something fun is actually an intriguing idea. Tracker gets so bug eyed when he does this wild scratching/growling/barking thing--it's as if he's going to explode in a second (in a good way). He doesn't play with toys, and rarely does zoomies, but I'm wondering where else this could be taken. Any suggestions?

Today he was all normal again. I'm wondering whether his unusual behavior yesterday had anything to do with the fact that we got caught in the rain (not a down pour, but a heavy drizzle). Of course, a grey hates being wet, so maybe he got extra hyper because of that. This was the first time we got caught in the rain in 1.5 years (usually he'll not go out at all if it's already raining or I'll put a coat on him), so I have nothing to compare it to. Who knows. It's just funny.