Fish Oil Supplements

Guest verthib

Guest verthib

I read in another post somewhere that too much fish oil isn't good. I guess too much of anything isn't good. Right now my dogs get two fish oil capsules per day, and they are on the Natural Balance Salmon and Sweet Potato food. Does that seem like too much Omega6? Thanks! :)

Guest KennelMom

You're probably fine. There's really not much fish oil in a fish oil capsule anyway.

Too much fish oil will thin the blood and can cause clotting/bleeding problems. But you'd have to give a lot of it. If I had a greyhound with a known clotting issue, I wouldn't give any fish oil.

Guest verthib

You're probably fine. There's really not much fish oil in a fish oil capsule anyway.

Too much fish oil will thin the blood and can cause clotting/bleeding problems. But you'd have to give a lot of it. If I had a greyhound with a known clotting issue, I wouldn't give any fish oil.

Ok, thanks. I give it because they both have dry skin and I'm hoping it will help. I just started a week ago.

• 1 year later...

We just adopted a greyhound for the first time. Her foster had been giving her two capsules with 300mg of Omega 3 twice a day. To be clear that's 2 capsules twice a day for 4 capsules in total giving her a whopping 1200mg of Omega 3 a day. That sounds like a lot but her coat is absolutely beautiful and she is seriously one of the softest dogs I have ever petted. Is that extreme? Could this hurt her? She has apparently been on this regiment for at least 3 months and I know the foster's other dogs get the same and they have been on it for a much longer time. We have our first vet checkup next week so I'll make sure and ask then as well but wanted to get opinions here first.

The Elders Family

Ty :coffee Crystal :wife Caleb :guns Lizzie :offwall and Piper :ghplaybow

Guest HeatherLee

I read in another post somewhere that too much fish oil isn't good. I guess too much of anything isn't good. Right now my dogs get two fish oil capsules per day, and they are on the Natural Balance Salmon and Sweet Potato food. Does that seem like too much Omega6? Thanks! http://forum.greytalk.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

Fish oil is omega 3, your omega 6's come from plant sources and too much of that (6) can cause inflammation.

I give my guy a teaspoon of fish oil for pets from Nordic naturals per my vets recomendation. He weighs 68lbs. His skin is far less dry (I live in az) and his coat is very soft and shiny :)

Guest chickenpotpie

I take nordic natural (12 grams a day) but Lucky didn't exactly like mine as its lemon flavored. I got her Grizzly salmon oil which she really enjoys (plus its easier to dispense)

Guest johnmclaren

Hii.. Fish oil is good supplements for Dogs. it's benefits are:

it is Healthy skin & glistening coat, it Decreases inflammation, Joint Discomfort & shedding, helpful in Increasing stamina and Energy, it Improves the immune system, it Adds moisture to dry and irritated skin, it may be useful to enhance your pet's appetite by adding an appealing fish flavor, Apart from these it is also beneficial in Lower Risk of Cancer, Keeping Blood Triglycerides in Check, Reduced Risk of Stroke or Heart Problems, Less Problems with Dry, Itchy Skin Attractive, Shiny Coat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest BigDogMom

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum - like others here when my grey Mugsy Mordecai came to my home - his coat was very dry with crazy amounts of dandruff - looked liked he got snowed on every morning - try the fish oil and coconut oil - they both caused diarrhea - what I've found that has worked for my big pig is water .... totally by accident - had taken him off the oils and was giving him several weeks to allow his bowels to calm down before trying anything else - was also trying to come up with ways on how to get him to slow down his eating habit which he learned from the tracks - I started adding water to his food which stopped him from gulping his food - he gets 3 meals a day and with enough water to allow the kibbles to float - his food bowl is roughly 10 inches in diameter - his coat is beautiful, soft and amazingly shiny - all that pet him are shocked his coat is ssoooooooooooooooooooo soft - I would describe it as the same softness as the fur you would find on any dog's ears - I believe that most dogs don't consume enough water ... and greys in particular are lazy couch potatoes that won't get up just to drink water unless they're dehydrated and if you're living environment inside and or outside is hot and dry then the environment will suck the moisture out of your dog - so that's my two cents worth - hope it is helpful.

Gum

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DogNewbie

We just adopted a greyhound for the first time. Her foster had been giving her two capsules with 300mg of Omega 3 twice a day. To be clear that's 2 capsules twice a day for 4 capsules in total giving her a whopping 1200mg of Omega 3 a day. That sounds like a lot but her coat is absolutely beautiful and she is seriously one of the softest dogs I have ever petted. Is that extreme? Could this hurt her? She has apparently been on this regiment for at least 3 months and I know the foster's other dogs get the same and they have been on it for a much longer time. We have our first vet checkup next week so I'll make sure and ask then as well but wanted to get opinions here first.

Wiley gets 1200mg of Omega 3s per day in one capsule, which he loves! I like the omega 3 for him as these are good for reducing inflammation and he has some arthritis starting. Plus, it has cleared up all of his dandruff and his coat is beautiful!

It doesn't seem like a lot of people use it but I've gotten good results from ground flax seed. Atticus had a lot of dandruff and was super itchy all the time. I noticed it was one of the main ingredients in Missing Link, so I decided to try it alone and we saw a difference after only a couple of weeks. I mix about a tablespoon with pumpkin puree and stir it into his kibble every other meal. The pumpkin is just for a binding agent since we feed dry kibble (but has the added bonus of firming up those poops).

I was pretty impressed with how quickly he improved. On top of that ground flax is cheap (~$3.50/lb) and you can buy it at the grocery store.

What about Red Krill? Anyone use this rather than fish oil for their pups? I myself replaced fish oil with red krill and I absolutely love it! It has taken away almost all of the aches in my joints which the fish oil did not touch. Was wondering if it would safely do the same for my pups.

I'm not a fan depleting a food source vital to whales, so krill is not on my list. I have not had any success finding a fish oil in bulk that was not rancid and the capsules mean that the oil is processed and has been left depleted of many of the beneficial elements.. Missing Link is a very good source, reasonably priced and recommended by many high profile Vets. The "Veterinary Formula" can be purchased online at almost the same price as the commercial formula.

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 2 weeks later...

Fish oil is omega 3, your omega 6's come from plant sources and too much of that (6) can cause inflammation.

I give my guy a teaspoon of fish oil for pets from Nordic naturals per my vets recomendation. He weighs 68lbs. His skin is far less dry (I live in az) and his coat is very soft and shiny :)

I just started the pups on Nordic Naturals but I got the capsules but next time I will order their fish oil as the pups will not eat the capsule in their food. I have to prick the capsule and of course it squirts even though it is in their dog dish.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Houston1219

For us, just switching to a fish-based food did wonders. I am considering adding some fish oil, just to up that benefit a bit, just stinks that you have to buy it in such huge qtys, i dont want to find he won't take it and be stuck with a giant bottle of fish ick (i sure don't take the stuff hahaha)