Unsteady After Dremeling?

Joe's hind legs have been unsteady off and on for a couple months. After clean x-rays, vet said it's a sprained back from being a maniac & prescribed a week's worth of Rimadyl, leash walks, no zoomies, etc. He seemed to be getting a lot better the last 2 weeks; although still sometimes pokey on walks.

I just dremeled his nails, like a good mommy (I do it about every 2 weeks, cause I'm lazy). He was fine during, not thrilled about me doing his back feet or dewclaws, but that's standard whether I clip or dremel and he's certainly less annoyed with the dremel.

I wanted him to go upstairs to the bedroom about 1/2 hour after his nails got done. He had trouble getting off the sofa, and really didn't want to head upstairs. His back legs looked wobbly, so I decided he wasn't just being a PITA and crated him in the living room.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Do the vibrations maybe bother him? Did I hurt him somehow? (He showed no indication of pain, just irritation that I woke him up for tormenting! He ate his treats just fine the whole time, too.) Is it just coincidence? Am I nuts? (Resounding "Yes!")

I should add that this isn't a real dremel. It's a cheapie corded multi-tool from Harbor Freight. I wasn't sure he'd tolerate it, so I bought junk, just in case. Maybe the real deal wouldn't irritate his feet?

My poor baby. I broke him. :(

I can't see how grinding his nails would do much--unless he's like George and yanks his legs everytime you touch a nail! He COULD have aggravated his injury. He could have been laying funny. Lots of things come to mind, but the nails are not likely to cause a problem like that unless you went WAY too short--but you'd know it if you'd done that.

Don't beat yourself up. You did NOT break your dog!

Hope he feels better soon.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest gurehaundo

How old is Joe? My Ace has been exhibiting this symptom for about six months. He has me confused because he doesn't cry or act like he's in pain. Though, he does tend to lean to one side so maybe that indicates that he's uncomfortable. I'm not sure! Ace doesn't really run, but he trots around the back yard just fine. He doesn't walk with a limp. When I dremel his nails, he does seem to be weaker in his right leg, but he more or less sways. He never falls down.

Have you heard any other ideas or advice on what could be going on with your boy?

How old is Joe? My Ace has been exhibiting this symptom for about six months. He has me confused because he doesn't cry or act like he's in pain. Though, he does tend to lean to one side so maybe that indicates that he's uncomfortable. I'm not sure! Ace doesn't really run, but he trots around the back yard just fine. He doesn't walk with a limp. When I dremel his nails, he does seem to be weaker in his right leg, but he more or less sways. He never falls down.

Have you heard any other ideas or advice on what could be going on with your boy?

Joe is 5. I think Susan was probably right that he tweaked something while laying down -- he's been fine the last few days. Of course, I haven't tried to do his nails since the day I posted about his limp!

I wonder if maybe it makes them feel unbalanced?

I'm sure when their nails are long and they are used to having them touch the floor and then the next day they can't feel the floor anymore might be unnerving for some greys. Perhaps he just had to get used to it depending on how much you trimmed?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015