Hole In Foot Pad?

Guest CakeLady

Guest CakeLady

Our foster greyhound has been limping and of course we assumed it was a corn so we checked his pads. Upon arrival it didn't really seem like he had a corn at all because we didn't see one. After we cleaned his foot we realized he has a small hole in the pad that had filled with dirt so it was flush to the surface.

For the past 3 days we have been keeping his foot very clean and he's been wearing a bootie over the paw to keep it that way to hopefully help it heal. He still holds it up like it hurts and it doesn't seem to be getting any smaller or less painful for him. I can't figure out if there USED to be a corn there or if he stepped on a nail or what. It definitely seems more like it was punctured rather than from an old corn.

It is VERY deep and hollow too. I think it goes most of the way through his pad, because I was cleaning the dirt out with a toothpick and couldn't believe how far it went. It sometimes seeps clear fluid and every now and then has a tinge of pink to it, like it may be bleeding a teeny tiny bit.

Any light to shed on this? He's going to his new home Friday so I'd like to have a better game plan so we can continue to treat it after he goes home.

Here's a link to some images. Fagan's Toe

Thanks!

I dont have anything to add other than OW! That looks like it hurts! Tabby tore her pads and the doctor did pretty much the same as what you are doing. Hope he gets better soon!

Ditto to the epsom salts soaking, but you might also want to get him on some antibiotics.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Puncture wounds are not to be fooled with, in my opinion. Sounds painful too. I suppose, since he's going home tomorrow, you should just let his new family know. I think all newly adopted dogs should go to their new vet ASAP anyway--maybe that's just me--so hopefully they'd planned on taking him anyway.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It looks like a puncture wound. Would definitely recommend a vet visit, possibly even x-rays. It could also have an embedded foreign body, and if it doesn't heal within a reasonable time frame, may need to have the area surgically explored. Hope it's nothing serious and heals quickly!

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest CakeLady

Thanks everyone for your input! Yes we did already tell the new home all about it and they are willing to do whatever we need. We already did x-rays and nothing to be seen inside. I've been flushing it out as well just to make sure. Epsom salts are a good idea - he's definitely laid back enough to let us soak it so we'll try that.

Will let you all know what the vet says. This is new territory for me as I've never seen a puncture like this in a foot pad. Hopefully can get started on antibiotics asap as well...

Thanks!