Normal Growth Pattern Or Hairloss?

At a M&G Saturday, my friend asked "Why is Beth missing hair in a straight line?" I looked at what she was pointing to, which I guess I'd seen but hadn't really noticed. In her flank area there is kind of a semi-bare zone, the same on both sides. This is right where the hair changes direction, from the thicker upper hair that grows backward to the thinner hair that grows down toward her belly. So I've always thought it's normal, sort of a cowlick. On the other hand, I do see her licking in that area not infrequently, though it never seems like excessive/obsessive licking.

downsized_0905111319b.jpg

It is pretty sparse where the hair splits if you really look at it.

downsized_0905111319a.jpg

Anyway, as I have no other greyhounds to compare to, I'm wondering what you all think! FWIW she's shedding a lot right now, and her belly hair is looking thinner than it was. She is a very furry girl overall.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Fall shed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.