Here We Go Again!

Huck has been panting since day before yesterday. He walks around the house and will not settle down except in the crate in my room. This is very unusual because he is a velcro boy. I gave him 3 tramadol (sp?) this morning and he has been asleep in the crate ever since. He is eating, walking (2 hours this morning) and pooping just fine. I am taking him to the vet in the morning...Just got over Da Vid's canine extraction. I am going to have to look for a job to support these two dogs! Any suggestions for what to do before tomorrow's vet appointment? They are not open today with it being a holiday.

Is he drinking enough water? A 2 hour walk might have been too much for him in this heat.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

He drank a good amount this morning. They were ready to walk at 5:00 AM this morning, but held them off until just day break. I don't like to walk them when it is dark because I never know what we will step on..rattlesnake, alligator, etc. We walk very slow and stop for 2 water breaks on the golf course. Other than the panting and wanting to be in the other room, I see nothing obvious. Vet does say he is an IBD dog. I feed him Science Diet I/D. Lately I have been adding Slippery Elm. Not sure if there is a limit to the time he can be on it...maybe I should take him off?

Guest KennelMom

discontinue the tramadol to make sure the vet can do a proper assessment. 2 hour walk for a dog you had to give three tramadol to to calm him down is too much, IMO. Plus, three trammies is a lot to give if you don't know what's wrong...you never know what it might mask that might actually need emergency vet attention.

Good luck...I hope it's something simple.

Edited by KennelMom

In future, I too would recommend not giving tramadol without knowing what's wrong -- could do more harm than good.

Hopefully he was just hot and/or crampy and looking for a place to cool off and rest. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm no expert, that's for sure, but in the heat and humidity we've had in Upstate New York this past summer, I know that a walk that lasts more than 20 minutes wipes Annie out, so 2 hours in a hot area sounds like a long time, even with rests.

I was actually disappointed with Annie's fatigue because I am a walker, but the couple of days we had recently where the temps stayed in the 60s and the humidity was low, Annie was good to go for twice as long without any panting at the end.

One of mine is a "panter" but I discovered during the 4th of July war celebrations in our neighborhood that those gel packs that I keep in the refrigerator calmed her right down - worked better than Benadryl! The more she panted, the hotter she became and placing the gell packs on her chest, belly and groin did the trick!

How old is Huck? Mine are 7 and 11 years old, and in this weather I limit walks to no more than 20 minutes before dawn and after dark and no more than 15 minutes in the middle of the day/afternoon! It is just too darned hot and humid here in Central Florida - and I'm on the coast! I read somewhere that if you want to get a sense of what it's like for a dog walking in this weather, dress in a flannel shirt with long sleeves, long pants, gloves and a hat and go walking with them.

Hope Huck was just too pooped to participate!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Huck is 5 years old. He just went outside a few minutes ago, but only laid in the grass for a little while..did not potty at all. He went back in the crate as soon as he came back in. I did offer him water and actually carried it to him in the kitchen. He did not drink. I will shorten their walks from now on. I thought it would be OK if it was at daybreak and not when it was actually mid morning. We are always finished by 8:00AM. Guess I am trying to hold off until his regular vet can see him. I have never used the e-vet in Savannah and know they will want to do blood work, x-rays and maybe keep him overnight..This might be to CTA's or maybe he would need to. I wish I was an expert or he could talk. Thanks everyone.

Thought I would up date: Huck ate all of his dinner, but noticed he was choking on a little of the canned stuff. Anyway, he went outside and his urine output looked normal. He is not laying in here with me and Da Vid and he is NOT panting...I don't have a clue about what has been going on the last three days. I do know that today he knocked over the dust mop, almost getting stuck with the mop handle and that about put him into cardiac arrest! Thanks everyone.