Lifetime

Guest dramaqueen

Guest dramaqueen

After my dogs reached 7 yrs old was told they are lifetime & only require rabies & distemper shots. Can anyone reccomend that I discontinue the immunization shots & just go with the rabies & distemper? With my last greyhound I never discontinued got him all his recommended shots by my Vet Thanks for your imput.

I stop all shots at around 10 yrs old (they are three year shots, so it may not be exactly 10 for each dog) except rabies. Fletcher and Molly's next rabies is due when they are twelve. If they are still with me, I may or may not get rabies, depending on their health.

This is just what I decided to do, based on my dogs health and lifestyle, and where I live. I am NOT at vet! This is NOT a recommendation for anyone else's dogs! :)

The thinking is that by the time you dog gets to 10 it's had enough vaccinations to build up immunity. You don't keep going back to the doctor every year form mumps/measles/polio etc. The speculation is that a lot of vets use the annual shots as a moneymaker and to get the dog in for an annual wellness check. AVMA now recommeds every 3 years for core shots. Lepto is a virus and needs to be given every year in a high risk areas, but the belief is that by the time your dog is approching double digits s/he has plenty of immunity for other things.

I lost a grey to what back then was called "vaccine induced Immune Hemolytic Anemia". Fine to dead in 48 hours right after her annuals. People say it can't happen but my vet said that was what it was. :dunno

http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg