Boarder With Bleeding Toe Nails....

Guest jettcricket

Guest jettcricket

Hi all...I just got 3 boarders in today. The one greyhound boy, Saturn, has an issue with his toe nails. I thought the condition was referred to as "SLO". But when I did a search nothing came up. The owner mentioned it in an e-mail and I know it's been discussed here in medical. Poor guy....he's missing a few toe nails already. She told me that if his nail(s) start bleeding to cut it back and wrap it. I wasn't expecting it to bleed as much and she sent no supplies to take care of it. I'm nervous about cutting it back....what can I do to help him other than taking him to my vet and my vet is not cheap. I tried to put some pressure on it and took tube socks to cover the foot. The couple is in Hawaii for 12 days. I do plan on calling the Ms. tomorrow to let her know what's going on, but in the meantime any suggestions??

TIA.

Some basic info: http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/SLO.htm

If the nails are in really bad shape such that broken parts are impinging on the quick, there isn't much to do besides cut them back. Could try some cornstarch to help stop the bleeding and a well-padded bandage.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

SLO toenails do bleed a lot. Sometimes I swear my house looked like a war zone, and I always worried that if they ever brought in one of those lights, the place would glow brighter than a Christmas tree! When Frasier's nails bled, it usually meant that one of them had fallen off. I often would wrap his foot long enough to get the bleeding to stop and an extra day or two to let the quick kind of shrivel up a bit and not be so tender. If a nail is hanging, sometimes the dog will pull it off themselves, sometimes either you or a vet will have to pull/cut if off. It's not a fun thing, but honestly, Frasier didn't act like it was a horrible big deal, but I know it had to cause some pain.

I would try some quick stop to halt the bleeding and just keep it wrapped if your too nervous to cut it back. If you do cut it back, muzzle and have someone hold the dog down. I'm sure it will hurt, but the faster you get it done the better. It might hurt to cut it back but maybe it heals quicker? I think high doses if fish oil helps the nails...

------

Jessica

My Scout's nails never bled much, but he didn't want me to touch them when they were separating. It would usually take 2-3 days from when I first started noticing a problem. I never even thought of trying to cut the nails or bandage the foot; if I had we would have been talking 2-person-and-a-muzzle job. Quik-Stop is also painful. Just brainstorming -- what about a Therapaw or similar dog boot?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter