Worms

Guest johnwe

Guest johnwe

My grey got exposed to a yard with dogs with worms recently. Tonight he seems to be showing signs that he has them. He is not comfortable, he's whining. He is licking his butt very intensely.

I managed to get to the pet store to get some dewormer before they closed.

Is there anything I can do for him to give him some more immediate relief tonight? I am wondering if any of will get sleep tonight.

No other dogs in the house right now, but there is a cat, anything to worry about with the cat? (indoor/outdoor cat)

Thanks

Edited by johnwe

Get a fecal sample to the vet. You may need drontal or panacur. Plus youre yard may now be contaminated if he has worms. Putting him on a bland diet may work as may pepto bismol, but deepening is the only sure thing if he actually has worms.

If he's licking at his hind end he may need his anal glands expressed or he might already have an anal gland abscess. The symptoms he's displaying do not suggest intestinal parasites. Also, you should have your vet run a stool check prior to giving a dewormer.

Could also be fleas if he isn't on a preventive.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest barkdogs

I wouldn't use a pet store wormer--they are not that great and you need to know what worms are the issue, if any. Stool sample to the vet!

I've never heard of a dog showing any sort of "symptoms" of having worms other than diarrhea or bloating or weightloss (depending on what type).

I agree--sounds like his anal glands are impacted or infected.

Indoor/outdoor cats are routine explosed to all sorts of nasties. She should be on a flea/tick preventative, a heartworm preventative, and have all the appropriate vaccines.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

if your pup was exposed to a yard or other dog with worms,, I would take a fecal sample to the vet for testing,, it is worth the cost,, just to be sure,,, just me,,, I know,, I am insane about that stuff :blink: