Little White Dogs

Guest Vers

So, Simba has a hard time ignoring small white dogs. We've managed okay the past couple of years, but suddenly we're nearly surrounded. I'm in a condo; one next door neighbor brought home a white teacup poodle mix puppy last month; another a champagne-colored Maltese. And this week, the neighbor to the other side of me bought a white Boxer puppy. Two of these three neighbors don't understand I need a heads up if we're out walking if I don't see them first.

I have Simba sit and wait if we see any little white dogs on our walks (and we have to walk -- no yard, in a condo). Today, even though we did sit and wait twice while the Boxer puppy was out, Simba became very reactive. His focus on me is generally good, but not good enough for these LWDs.

So. Twofold question. How do I best work with Simba to reduce his reactivity? I've done a lot of leave it, look at me and walk on.

Secondly, how do I best communicate with my neighbors? I know I didn't make my point well with the Maltese owner when she later asked if Simba would always be afraid of her dog....

Long term, I want to move to a small house with a yard, but that will take time.

Edited by Vers

Guest sandlot13433

When I had neighbors who didn't initially understand that their little dogs would not be safe around my non-cat friendly greys, I wrote them a letter. In the letter I emphasized that this was for the safety of both of our dogs, as well as including information about some web sites which explained the history and the nature of greyhounds, specifically that some have a higher prey drive and what that means with respect to their behavior around other small dogs. They were very appreciative and did check out the sites. I found that by giving them a letter, it gave them time to process the information as well as showing that this was a genuine concern. I did have a good relationship with these neighbors so I felt comfortable writing them a letter and by writing them a letter, I was able to take time thinking about what to write, instead of trying to come up with the information on the spur of the moment.

I've been in a condo with a dog for a long time. I do not feel it is my neighbor's responsibility to give me a "heads up." It's MY responsibility to pay attention to what's going on around me.

I would strongly caution you against putting in writing a single word about it potentially being unsafe for your dog to be around theirs. You do not want that letter ever to come back and haunt you. I am guessing that in your condo, as in my last one (but not this one) there are provisions which would enable your board to evict your dog should it cause problems with other folks (and vice versa, of course!). And if one of the owners of a little white dog happens to be BFFs with someone on the board, you KNOW they're going to tell them, "Oh, she's got a dangerous dog!"

My dog doesn't react well to other dogs of any type (although he loves all Greyhounds). When I run into a neighbor, I casually take George by the collar and veer around the other dog. If they have the dog on a long leash, I'll stop and say, "Could you please pull your dog in so I can pass?" and they always do. It's really quite manageable for us.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I've been in a condo with a dog for a long time. I do not feel it is my neighbor's responsibility to give me a "heads up." It's MY responsibility to pay attention to what's going on around me.

I would strongly caution you against putting in writing a single word about it potentially being unsafe for your dog to be around theirs. You do not want that letter ever to come back and haunt you. I am guessing that in your condo, as in my last one (but not this one) there are provisions which would enable your board to evict your dog should it cause problems with other folks (and vice versa, of course!). And if one of the owners of a little white dog happens to be BFFs with someone on the board, you KNOW they're going to tell them, "Oh, she's got a dangerous dog!"

My dog doesn't react well to other dogs of any type (although he loves all Greyhounds). When I run into a neighbor, I casually take George by the collar and veer around the other dog. If they have the dog on a long leash, I'll stop and say, "Could you please pull your dog in so I can pass?" and they always do. It's really quite manageable for us.

You're lucky people will pull in a dog on a long leash for you. I always hear "Oh, my dog is friendly. He just wants to make friends. Then I say "I'm sure that's true, but will you please pull him in?" I get nasty looks and they finally pull the dog in.

Guest sandlot13433

I was going to mention being very careful about what you put in writing. I had a lawyer friend look it over for me to make sure it was ok. You do have to be very very careful what you put into writing, and it sounds like you maybe don't want to do that with the condo board watching over you. Maybe you could send her some links to information on greyhounds? I too have not had good luck asking people to keep their dogs back. I get the same response as 3vagreys...my dog is very friendly! Then when I tell them mine isn't, they do give nasty looks. I always wish I could explain more, but by this time they don't want anything to do with me. It's very frustrating!

I don't think you can get their reactivity reliably down if it's a prey drive thing (the word to watch is 'reliably' because it only needs to go badly wrong once). And I too wouldn't put anything in writing that might say I knew I had a potentially dangerous dog as it's like a blank check to insurers and a red light to police. If people's little 'furbabies' get bit because they weren't controlled it is always the bigger dog that gets the blame.

I think I'd get into using a Muzzle for going out: the dog knows a muzzle means something interesting is being gone to and furbaby owners think a muzzle means ''bad dog!'' and so will, ironicly, keep theirs back better.

Use Calming Signals info hereon your own dog and also try to read the little white dogs so that you know better what their intention might be.

Guest snakes

I have a couple neighbors (I am in a condo too) with cats that are often let to roam the hallways (cats luckiyl are smarter than owners) which presents many of the same problems, plus we have a ton of small dogs in the neighborhood. I learned early on that you can NEVER rely on other people to control their animals. You have to be become the hyper alert one and just steer clear at all costs and have a very good grip on your own shortened leash when they are near.

Also perfect the art of opening the door a little and make sure you go out the doorway first to check the hall out, and always make sure you get your dog inside your condo first and you follow. that little step has saved me quite a few times.

I found most people don't understand unless you explain, without smiling or niceities, that your dog was trained to hunt small fluffy animals and it will most likely hurt their dog if it comes near and you don't want that to happen.

Guest giantsfan

I don't live in a condo, but do walk my dog every day on a trail where we encounter lots of dogs. One of my dogs fixates on LWDs and what I tell people who push the envelope and don't understand when I try to walk around them is that my dog doesn't "do well" with small dogs. I don't get into any details and it's always been an effective way to get them to back off.

Thank you for the responses so far.

First, I fully understand it is not my neighbors' responsibility to make up for a lack of awareness on my part. However, we have a lot of blind corners in our neighborhood, and for half the year the majority of our walks are in the dark due to short daylight hours. My dogs are pretty much the only ones that wear nightlights, so chances are good at night that the other dog owner is going to see us first. If anything, I am hyper-aware on our walks due to the next point...

We have been attacked by a pit mix twice. Among other effects, this really seems to have undone a lot of the work I've done with Simba. He and I have been evaluated by a behaviorist/trainer, and got a solid B+. (Stella got an A+.) I would like to be making progress to get at least back to where we were before the attacks.

He is not unilaterally high-prey; he lives very successfully with cats, has non-greyhound dog friends, barely notices squirrels and rabbits on our walks -- and tolerates small dogs that aren't WHITE.

It is very important to me that my hounds are "good citizens" in our neighborhood. I am committed to finding a way to achieve this. If anyone has ideas on how to positively affect this specific reactivity, I am all ears.

Guest krystolla

He is not unilaterally high-prey; he lives very successfully with cats, has non-greyhound dog friends, barely notices squirrels and rabbits on our walks -- and tolerates small dogs that aren't WHITE.

Hmm, maybe if you dropped Kool Aid on all the LWDs? Pink dogs aren't prey. :lol

At least the white boxer is likely to grow up to be not little. Good luck. Sounds like you are doing your best to be responsible but you can't always depend on everyone else to be responsible (or sensible) too.

You're lucky people will pull in a dog on a long leash for you. I always hear "Oh, my dog is friendly. He just wants to make friends. Then I say "I'm sure that's true, but will you please pull him in?" I get nasty looks and they finally pull the dog in.

And if you have tried to give warning nicely and they are still being stupid it is then time to say. "Mine's not friendly with non greyhounds and sees pups like yours as hor doevers."

That might get them to stay away. My Teddy is not other breed friendly. At all.

"

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Look up Giselle's old posts about LAT (look at that) training.

I'd just tell your neighbors -- when you see them -- "My dog doesn't like strangers getting in his face or jumping on him. Please keep yours leashed up short."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

Look up Giselle's old posts about LAT (look at that) training.

I'd just tell your neighbors -- when you see them -- "My dog doesn't like strangers getting in his face or jumping on him. Please keep yours leashed up short."

:nod

This.

Guest AmberStar47988

AGREED!!! This always works when I walk Adam after the pit bull attack. No arguments, no questions from the other dog owners. I'll let other (calm, leashed) dogs approach Adam on HIS terms, nobody else's. I'm lucky that Adam has extremely low prey drive, but nutty dogs and inattentive owners do make him uneasy. Batmom's quote is useful in so many situations.

And really, what is it with LWD owners!?!? OK, I'm off my momentary soap box. LOL

Thank you for reading and your responses. I'm restarting "look at that" training with him from square one. The challenge right now is having enough hours in the day to have one on one time with him, but I'm making it a priority. Giselle's posts and videos are worth gold, and I will read/watch them again.

I'll use Batmom's phrase for owners going forward. I'd already told the teacup owner (who has let me know they will never train their dogs) that my hound won't ever be able to see their little dog as an actual dog and we wil always do our best to avoid them on walks. I will say my experience with other owners has been more like 3vagreys above, and I am not afraid to tell other dog owners what they need to do. As far as avoidance efforts, I've walked up to half an hour more to avoid some dogs/owners and am always ready to turn my dogs right around and go in a different direction.

Lindsay, he's tensing, fixating on the dog and pulling. A few times he has tried to lunge even from a distance, been far too excited and then redirects to Stella and I. No one has ever been hurt, and I can still calm him down. But as I said, all of this has been so different since we were attacked.

Krystolla, you win for the most original solution :) I might go with purple, though!

I think this has been my first topic in Training and Behavior. I've worked hard with my dogs to keep them safe and well-behaved, and it's making me incredibly sad that circumstances are what they are. But I am very grateful that you give your time and experience as a resource. Thank you.

Guest iconsmum

perfect answer. It's yours to manage - you own the high prey dog. Muzzle. It hangs on the doorknob, always. no explanations, no

"my dog is dangerous" just use it - hint: get a pink one, (muzzle, not dog) or spray paint it with fusion brand plastic spray paint in a really pretty colour - match the leash and the coat to it if you want - that way it rings fewer alarm bells...

Guest AmberStar47988

Oooh, here's a thought! Until something can be worked out with the neighbors, can you work on tricks and rewards to distract your dog? Carrying a training pouch full of yummy, stinky treats might help. When he sees the LWD, call him and make him do a simple trick, like sit or down. Reward and repeat the exercise until the fluffy white target leaves.

Amber, thank you -- that is useful -- and that's exactly part of the work I am restarting with Simba, and I'm already seeing renewed progress in his focus on me rather than anything else. He is a smart and good hound, and we will work through this.

iconsmom, if you read my posts, you've seen that we have been attacked and we have not attacked anyone. Simba is not high prey. Yes, muzzles can be very useful, but really, really not the right solution here.

I am baffled that anyone posting in response to this took a tack that I am being irresponsible or mismanaging my dogs in this situation. I posted specifically because I know we have work to do, and I am searching for the best methods. Thank you to all of you who posted respectful and useful information.

Guest LindsaySF

Vers, if he redirects onto you or your other dog, a muzzle might be a good safety measure. Otherwise, I personally would not muzzle just because idiot owners don't pay attention. It leaves your dog defenseless, and that's not fair.

I also agree with Batmom's quote and with Snakes' post.

You might not get through to them, but at least you tried. You'll always have to be on-guard to make sure Simba doesn't grab another dog, you might have to "announce" yourself coming around a dark corner, but a polite heads up to the neighbors that your dog does not want to "play" with their little ones might go a long way. Good luck!

~Lindsay~