Anyone Use Generic Heartgard?

Guest chaoran22

Guest chaoran22

I've always been wary of generic Heartgard (why I don't know, I use generic meds myself all the time!) but recently have been thinking more logically about it and see no reason not to use it. That being said, I still wanted to come on here and see if there are any precautions to watch out for? My vet doesn't offer it I don't think, but I get the dogs' stuff from PetCareRx.com which I trust. The one I've been looking at is Iverhart Plus (or Iverhart Max...are tapeworms really an issue with dogs?) but I'd like to hear suggestions for other brands as well if anyone has them. Thanks!

Our vet sells the Iverhart Plus. My two girls will eat anything, so they take them fine. My 14 year old boy (who passed to the Bridge three weeks ago) HATED them. Regular Heartguard was chewy and I guess had a stronger aroma. He loved those. His smell-er wasn't too good the last few years so he would not eat anything that wasn't strong smelling. . The Iverhart is crunchy. He had no top teath in the back so I would have to break them up and mix the pieces with peanut butter to get him to take them.

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

Guest chaoran22

Thanks everyone! It's good to see that lots of you use it. Both of my dogs allow me to open their mouths easily and toss pills in so I'm not worried about them not liking the Iverhart (although they definitely LOVE Heartgard).

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I'ved Iverheart and Tri-heart over the years and have been using stuff from AU for about the last 6 years with no problems. To me Ivermectin is Ivermectin.

Yep exactly, I have used the stuff from Austrailia for years and about a year ago switched all the big dogs to straight ivermectin. Its SOOOO much cheaper and I can get it from the feed store. I still order the stuff from AU for the poms because its to hard to break down the straight ivermec to a 3lb dog :lol

Guest proudway

thanks for the discussion; I was just wondering that myself given the high cost of Heartguard, and one of my friends said the same thing; ivermectin is ivermectin

Guest eaglflyt

We don't use an ivermectin based product any longer. One battle to rid the dachshunds of whips was enough. They were all on Heartgard at the time they got whips, but of course, ivermectin products do not control or treat whips. So, it's Interceptor for us.

P.S. The dachshunds enjoy eating dirt (who knows why) and if your dog has a taste for dirt, you're at higher risk for whips.

Guest greytfulhounds

I have been using Iverheart Plus for several years for my 6....no problems & they all eat them like treats. I order online from KV Vet Supply.....my vet gives me a script for each dog, I fax it over & usually have my order within a few days!