Using A Coupler To Walk Two Dogs

Guest iLoveLucie

Guest barkdogs

I walk 5 or 6 (depending on if Sophie the IG is up for a walk) dogs ranging in size from an IG and a mini aussie to 3 greyhounds. I use a giant carabiner hooked through the handle of all the leashes. I have 3' to 4' leather leashes as I find longer ones just get tangled and nylon is bulky, slippery and give the hand one heck of a burn if a dog spooks and the leash saws through the skin on my hand. The carabiner can be awkward but this way I don't drop a leash by mistake. On a long walk sometimes I have to remove it periodically to unbraid the leashes. Allistair's leash is 2.5 feet 'cause he tries to mug passes by and I once had to give a guy ten bucks for his shirt because he put a hole in it. :eek

Guest desertlady

I walk my two hounds on a coupler all time and love it! My male, Tucson, has peed on BlueBaby's head at least twice, but now he knows how to adjust to hit the bush and not her head. I love the way the coupler keeps my kids together. I have 2 couplers, one is short, about 6 inches from clasp to "O" ring. The other coupler I made long. It's about 32 inches from the "O" ring to the clasp. The dogs get used to being coupled together very quickly and learn to adjust to take care of "business".

• 1 year later...
Guest barkwalker

I walk my two hounds on a coupler all time and love it! My male, Tucson, has peed on BlueBaby's head at least twice, but now he knows how to adjust to hit the bush and not her head. I love the way the coupler keeps my kids together. I have 2 couplers, one is short, about 6 inches from clasp to "O" ring. The other coupler I made long. It's about 32 inches from the "O" ring to the clasp. The dogs get used to being coupled together very quickly and learn to adjust to take care of "business".

Great to see someone else likes couplers. Dog Couplers as was mentioned in a previous comment, can be used as a good training devices and great for leads. What I found is that when you have two dogs, and one is rather hyper and the other calm, the calm ones sorta trains the new one and you have a great walk after some time. The dog coupler that I believe in and trust the most is much different than the other dog couplers on the market.

Has anyone seen someone walking down the street using a coupler, then all of sudden there appears a cat on the other side of the street? That can turn into a dangerous situation for the dog, pedestrians and the owner. If you get a chance, search online for images of dog owners that have got caught in a tangle - ouch!

Anyone here every had a bad experience with a tangle incident?

Guest jbbuzby

Didn't have time to read everyone else's responses, but I walk my two with one of those 6 in one leashes. It essentially has a hook on either end, but if you hold it in the middle, each dog has 3.5 feet of leash. You can then adjust which dog gets more, if they need to go to the bathroom for example, and it's very simple. By far, everyone who has walked my dogs thinks this is the easiest thing in the world to use. I'd never go back to using two leashes again (we only do that if sig other comes with me!).

Guest BuckeyeAmy

I considered a coupler, and then quickly un-considered it. I find the flexibility of holding 2 leashes and allowing the dogs 6 feet of freedom to be an advantage not to be messed with. I never have a problem with tangled leashes or anything like that. I'd rather the hounds not be tied at the hip when out and about - where is the 'fun' in that? JMHO.

This is my feeling as well. They need room to explore and sniff away from each other.

I guess I'm a minority here... but I'm used to that. ;)

I do use a coupler for walking, and I love it. It was an invaluable tool for teaching my puppy to walk nicely on leash (i.e. he was more reluctant to pull big, mean older brother than me). But for us, walks are exclusively for walking. No bathroom breaks. My guys have a fenced in yard, so I turn them out to potty prior to the walk. That way, I don't have to deal with a million stop and sniffs, and it's easier for me to manage them.

So bottom line, if you're leash walking your dogs to go to the bathroom, the coupler isn't ideal. But for regular walking, it's great.

Anyone here every had a bad experience with a tangle incident?

Nope. Anytime there is the slightest hint of a tangle, they stop dead in their tracks and wait for mom to fix it. :)

Guest Avisher224

I use this and I really like it: http://www.petco.com/product/104075/Petmate-Take-Two-Adjustable-Leash-in-Black.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Dog_1-_-Petmate%20Take%20Two%20Adjustable%20Leash%20in%20Black-104075

I was walking both boys with leashes in one hand (so the other could be free to poop scoop) but they were always getting tangled. The length of the individual leads is adjustable and I have them as long as they'll go. It seems to give the boys plenty of room. I do have to pay attention and lift the leash up as they switch sides or speed up- the Y part can get caught on their butts and Orion hates this!

I use this and I really like it: http://www.petco.com/product/104075/Petmate-Take-Two-Adjustable-Leash-in-Black.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Dog_1-_-Petmate%20Take%20Two%20Adjustable%20Leash%20in%20Black-104075

I was walking both boys with leashes in one hand (so the other could be free to poop scoop) but they were always getting tangled. The length of the individual leads is adjustable and I have them as long as they'll go. It seems to give the boys plenty of room. I do have to pay attention and lift the leash up as they switch sides or speed up- the Y part can get caught on their butts and Orion hates this!

How much do your dogs weigh?

I used to have a coupler that swiveled and stretched...kind of like a bungee cord material. This worked great when one dog stopped or pushed ahead. The other dog didn't get dragged. I once let someone borrow it, and never got it back. I don't remember the name, and haven't found another. It worked great!

Guest dexter

i have tried several times or should i say many times to walk 2 female golden retrievers together, not good idea, love single leashes. funny story, i remember when sophie was 7 months old and sadie was 6 months old, had them on a coupler, entered the house, unhooked leash, door had not closed and they ran out hooked to each other running around. not funny at the time, but that was 6 years ago and i now smile.