Prednoleucotropin (Plt) Side Effects?

Hello folks, it's been a while since I've had to post here but I was wondering if you would be kind enough to share your wisdom (which I know is great both individually and collectively).

Miss Sadi reached the grand old age of 12 this year (April) and she has been slowing down quite a lot like old dogs do but I have been concerned about the weakness in her hindquarters (she was falling over and getting knocked over...by other dogs) so yesterday I took her to our Vet and he gave her a thorough exam. His conclusion was that apart from the normal arthritic changes in her right shoulder and both knees her main problem is lumbosacral spondylosis (arthritis of the spine) and he prescribed a med called Prednoleucotropin (PLT) which is a combination of NSAID and steriod. He said that this particular med has been shown to be very effective for her condition.

I started her on the first tablet this morning with her breakfast and have noted two things that have worried me slightly. Firstly, when I popped out for about half an hour at lunch time on my return she seemed very anxious, as if she had been really worried about being left...she has never had SA in the six years she's been here so that seemed weird, but she did settle quite quickly once I gave her a treat :rolleyes: A couple of hours later my neighbour asked me to pop round to hers to see if I could identify a snake in her garden that her cats were trying to catch :eek ....I was outside for all of ten minutes and when I got back Sadi had peed on the doormat.....that is something that she does very rarely...and if I tell you that on Monday she was left for seven hours (which is unusual) and there was no peeing you will see why I am a little concerned.

I am now wondering if this PLT has anything to do with this behaviour, or am I putting two and two together and making five? Would it have an effect this quickly and are these effects (Peeing and anxiety or peeing caused by anxiety) likely to be possible side effects? I am willing to give this med a fair go, but having nearly given myself a heart attack reading the info sheet I cant help wondering if it would be just as well to put her on something like Metacam which may not work as well but may not produce unpleasant side effects :unsure

P.S. I tried to add a link to the info sheet but things have obviously changed round here since I last posted and I couldn't get it to work. :rolleyes:

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

The steroid component probably has the same side effects as other steroids -- drinking more, peeing more, sometimes panting/restlessness. Those side effects tend to diminish over a period of 7-10 days at the same dose.

Sending scritchies and best thoughts to your lovely girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Prednisone typically makes dogs thirsty, so they drink more, and of course they pee more. I'm surprised the vet didn't warn you about that--it's very common.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The steroid component probably has the same side effects as other steroids -- drinking more, peeing more, sometimes panting/restlessness. Those side effects tend to diminish over a period of 7-10 days at the same dose.

Sending scritchies and best thoughts to your lovely girl.

Thank you both....I did know about the drinking/peeing but the strange thing is that despite it being very hot here today she had not actually been drinking more :huh maybe she just thought it was time I washed the doormat! It is reassuring to hear that the side effects do lessen over time if that's what they are...I will persevere for a bit longer... I can't wait for her walks now to see if she's feeling more speedy :rolleyes:

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Just thought I would give a pupdate.....the good news is there have been no puddles and no strange behaviour today and her tummy isn't upset :) ....bad news, it doesn't seem to have made any difference to her wobblyness :( ....yet :goodluck

Hopefully you will see some difference after a couple more days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.