Anyone Had A Doggie That They Couldn't Fatten Up?

Guest firegypsy

You might try to jump start her by sprinkling some dry parmesan cheese on the pieces.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

That makes me think " I want a Foodhound " . My Morty is to painfully skinny and wish he would eat anything in sight. But no he is so terribly picky. The saying Pickyeaters are not born that way , we make them picky is true . I try anything to get him to eat. :)

good to know!

still struggling here. the dog that needs to lose is happily eating raw. the doggie that needs to gain has no interest. I'm going to keep offering, but she doesn't really have much interest in eating. IN fact she even turned up her nose at kibble tonight until I put bacon drippings on it. She totally has me figured out. She refuses food, I do whatever I can to make it more appealing. LOL.

I don't know if this could be the case with yours who is uninterested in the raw, but when I fed raw one of my greys would have nothing to do with it at first. My others were absolutely wild about it. I tried all kinds of suggestions to get him interested. One evening I was getting their food ready to take outside and the one who wouldn't touch raw grabbed a chicken quarter off the counter and ran to his bed and started munching down. I realized that he wanted raw, but didn't want to eat outside where it could get dirty. I just grabbed a towel and layed it down and let him eat right there. He didn't try to carry it around and no mess was made. He also is one that borders on thin so I have to watch carefully that he doesn't drop any weight.

Kasey has never been a big eater, and I think this is a contributing factor - not food motivated. He could eat 5 cups of kibble a day - that's a stretch for him to try to eat (force fed so to speak by putting something on it to make him eat) and still not gain much at all. It also doesn't help that he's on prednisone to control allergies.

What worked? Raw. He gained 2 pounds in a month and was doing really well weight wise when he was on raw. However, being on raw didn't help anything else. He still had a bad case of allergies, however he never missed a meal! We struggle with his weight still, and do our best to keep him not looking like a rack of bones since we are now back on kibble. Seems like we can never win with him.

Ryder is the complete opposite, I think he looks at food and gains weight!

Edit: Kasey ate pork - purely meat based (pork belly) and turkey necks/drums. That worked for us. He's allergic to chicken, and mildly to pork, so he sorta got stuck eating the meaty chunks we gave him - and I think ultimately that's what helped him put the weight on.....

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Do you have a picture? Racing weight? Current weight?

Some dogs, especially young ones, set themselves lean. Some body types / bone structures also tend to *look* thinner than others. As long as the dog is healthy and not absolutely skeletal, I don't worry about it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest firegypsy

Do you have a picture? Racing weight? Current weight?

Some dogs, especially young ones, set themselves lean. Some body types / bone structures also tend to *look* thinner than others. As long as the dog is healthy and not absolutely skeletal, I don't worry about it.

she never raced, so I don't have a weight for that. She's 56 pounds now, and painfully skinny. As in you see all her ribs, her spine etc. BUT she seems healthy!

Too funny about the doggie that didn't want "dirty" food! I think my Darby is quite like that, actually! She also just takes her time with EVERYTHING so the fact that raw requires work is enough to put her off. She's loving chicken feet though so I'll just keep upping the ante. Hopefully eventually she'll be lovin' the raw since her teeth could use it!

Batmom-I'll take a good picture today. I have several but they're all of her curled up or sitting. I'll get a good one of her standing and try to post it.

For some it's just a body type. It's like how all humans have the same basic structure but the shape is a little different. My boy is tall and lean (aka "too skinny"). I used to feed him 4 cups of good food, then when he started getting a lot of training treats I backed his food off to 3 cups a day because I didn't want him to get fat. Well, he didn't get fat. I now continue to only feed him 3 cups a day because he wasn't putting on weight at 4 anyway, and he's not losing weight or showing signs that he's hungry at 3 (and let's face it, food is expensive). He's at his happy weight, and even though I can see a few more ribs than I would like I just let it be. He's a lanky, skinny boy with the metabolism of a freight train (at 6 years old I might add... lucky bum). Of course, he's not underweight which is maybe the difference. If your girl is underweight I can see that you would obviously want to get a few lbs on her.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest firegypsy

that's true. I'm giving Darby 4 cups a day plus extras (peanut butter, chicken feet, eggs, bacon fat etc.) When she came to me I was told that no one could fatten her up, but her notes said that she had 1.5 cups twice a day of not great food. So 4 cups on really good food will hopefully add some weight! we'll see.

There are 73 calories in the average chicken foot so if she ears enough of them maybe that will help. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Have you also tried increasing exercise? Hounds that tend to have a leaner build will often appear thinner when carrying less muscle mass.

You might want to try a split breast instead of the leg quarter. Sometimes the tougher bone is off putting for some dogs.