Weightloss After Boarding

Guest lovemyblackgrey

Guest lovemyblackgrey

my 5 year old went into a boarding kennel for 15 days just recently. she has been to this kennel one time before without any probs. The kennel owner keeps greyhound for a hobby and knows the breed well. After I picked her up and removed her rug I noticed that she was lost a considerable amount of weight! she used to be approx 28 kg and I estimate that she weighs at least 3 kg less at the moment. all her ribs are clearly showing, backbones and shoulderbones sticking out etc. the kennel owner said that she did eat well and her first poop was massive (lightbrown, moist and firm) and the day after we picked her up she pooped more than usual which makes me believe that she was fed ok - any ideas what the cause could be? she is not sluggish or anything like that, she seems very happy to be home, is very clingy and is playing as per normal. first thing she did when she got home though is take a massive gulp of water and it does look like she has been drinking quite a lot today. do you reckon I should take her to the vet for a check-up just in case? or is it common for greys to be a bit off the mark after boarding and is this a 'normal' reaction (which would make sense- I'd probably have the same! :-) )

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

cheers

You might want to have the vet look at her just to make you feel better. It could have been stress from your being gone. I don't know if you took your own food but if the kennel was feeding their food, it may not be as good as what she was getting at home.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It's very normal - nothing to worry about. :) Greyhounds can drop a lot of weight really fast. Mine lose a couple pounds when they're boarded, too.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

3 kg is a lot of weight though. My first thought with the amount of poop was that there must have been a lot of filler in whatever she ate if the poop was so large. I recommend you check and make sure she's not dehydrated.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Im a pet sitter and watch dogs in their own homes. I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of dogs lost weight while i watch them and id imagine a kennel would be worse. They miss their owners and are a bit stressed in their own environment. Ive worked at kennels and dogs are definitely more streesed there than at home. I doesnt concern or bother me if the dogs miss a few meals (i put food out but they dont want to eat). Ill add on extra treats throughout the day so they get something in them otherwise i just keep an eye on them and watch for any issues. Also pooping extra can be stress related so i wouldnt worry unless the issues last more than a day or 2.

Having worked in a boarding kennel I can tell you it is very common for dogs to refuse to eat. Two weeks is a long time. Was the previous time as long? It could be that this time she had a problem dog next to her that set her off balance, etc.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest RiverCityGang

My hounds always lost weight when I boarded them. One year I was doing a lot of training for work and they were boarded at least a week every month. One month it was 2 weeks. My skinny- to -start -with Chloe looked awful ! They were fine healthwise, just stressed from being boarded. Fortunately, I don't have that kind of schedule any more, so the girls hardly ever are boarded now !

Guest lovemyblackgrey

thanks all, that was really helpful! will take her to the vet on Friday just to make sure everything is ok - will make me feel better :rolleyes: