I Think Frontline Is Stressing Her Out

Guest RHDonna

Guest RHDonna

We have had Donna for just over a month and she has been adjusting fairly well once we got past the 4th of July but today she is just shaking when I try and take her outside. The entire walk this morning and evening were big struggles with her trying to turn me around then entire time and about pulling my arm off once we got close to home. She pooped on the walks but just seemed so freaked out. I gave her frontline this morning and my neighbor said her dog bounces off the walls on frontline so I wonder if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks!

She could be having a reaction. Try washing off whatever is left on her. If she doesn't get better in a day or 2 bring her to the vet. If she gets worse before then, bring her to the vet. Frontline is chemicals and we and dogs can react to chemicals. My boy had a huge scab between his shoulder blades when I got him and we think it was from a frontline reaction, so I never use frontline. There are other options out there. Revolution combined with a Preventic collar is what I use. Once I run out of Revolution I'm just going to use Hartguard Plus with a Preventic collar. This was decided by my vet and I since my guys have a higher exposure to intestinal parasites because of fostering.

My Gracie had a similar reaction to your Donna. Any topical product like Frontline will make her freak out.

You can use Dawn detergent to wash it off.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If she's shaking when you take her outside, that sounds like fear of something, not Frontline.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FawnFan

I noticed my younger grey also seemed to react to the application of Frontline. He seemed like he was sick with the flu. And he was definitely very sensitive at the application site. My other older grey didn't seem to be as affected yet he was sensitive in between the shoulder blades too. This lasted for about a day. Also once I realized it could have been the Frontline, I wiped off as much as I possible could without giving them a bath.

I decided I'm not going to use it going forward. It's not worth making him sick for a couple of days. I would like to go the more "organic" or "natural" route with the next application. There was a thread on GT a few weeks ago about a product that smells great (rosemary + other herbal oils...cedar + peppermint oils) and gets applied every 2 weeks or so. That's my plan for future flea and tick prevention.

~Jean

ETA: Triple Sure natural flea control and tick remedy product details.

Edited by FawnFan

Guest patgam

I have the same issue w/Frontline with Bugsy. She acts like it burns her skin, which it probably does. Bell does not have an issue with the Frontline. I will be talking to their vet and finding another option.

Pat G

My Vinnie had a reaction to Frontline... big, strawberry-colored blotches. We used Advantage for him. He was allergic to Heartguard. Go figure :rolleyes:

We don't use anything now since they aren't outside that much. If I needed anything, I will give a bath in Pert and use a flea comb like I did for the cat. He didn't do well with chemicals either :lol

Good luck. I hope this passes and all is better for you and your pupper :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Is she shaking while you're inside, too, or just when you're going out? If the shaking is only when you go outside, I agree with Batmom - sounds like she's afraid of something out there and it doesn't have anything to do with the Frontline.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest mountain4greys

I'm wondering if she heard something that you didn't, and that freaked her out. My dogs can get like that, they'll hear fireworks in the distance that we can't hear. Don't think it's the frontline.