Red/hot Ear

Aquitaine's ear is red and hot today. I've cleaned it with sterile water, cleaned out some gook, and put some anti-biotic ointment on it. Not sure if I should ice it. Not sure if it is related to the heat or not. Her other ear is fine. Any ideas? Suggestions? Methods to avoid "mom" panic?

No advice or experience with it, but I'm sending you and Aquitaine good thoughts. Is she worrying it or is there an swelling? It's on the inside only?

I might put a cool damp compress on it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Inside only and no swelling. She only tried to scratch it once today. Thanks for the good thoughts. I hate when my girl isn't 100%. I know this heat has been bothering her. We haven't been out for more than 5-10 minutes in days. Just gave her some Benadryl as suggested by a vet site online. If nothing else, it should help her sleep.

Edited by carronstar

If the ear doesn't improve today then, a vet visit is in order. I sounds like you may be dealing with a raging ear infection. The vet may do an ear smear to determine if the infection is bacterial or fungal (yeast) in nature then, dispense the proper medication.

If the ear doesn't improve today then, a vet visit is in order. I sounds like you may be dealing with a raging ear infection. The vet may do an ear smear to determine if the infection is bacterial or fungal (yeast) in nature then, dispense the proper medication.

Thank you so much, an infection is what I was afraid of. I would be far more worried if it was within the ear canal itself.

I should clarify (was really tired last night) that the inside of her ear is fine. Clean, no smell. The redness is on the "flappy part" for lack of a better description. My vet said to watch it for a couple of days and let him know if the Benadryl isn't working. She may have scratched it when I wasn't in the room. There was a distinct change overnight. Less of the area is red and it isn't as hot.

Rest assured, I will watch it carefully. Already planning an early departure from work so that I can check on her and will have her walker check it as well.

Icing it won't likely do anything helpful, as it doesn't sound like a wound so much as an infection. Keep cleaning it and go to the vet if it doesn't start to resolve in a day or so.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Just so you know: "flappy part" = "ear leather" when you talk to your vet. He'll know what you mean.

Actually, I'm sure he understands "flappy part," too, :) but "ear leather" is probably what he's going to write in his notes.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thank you. I knew that "flappy part" was not the true medical term but wasn't sure what it was. Now I know. Yes, Andy probably would write "ear leather". Thankfully, he has known me for 20 years and is used to me. He once took my call while he was on a ski trail in Colorado and I was freaking out that Morgaine's extra eyelid had flipped. Since I had no clue that there was an extra eyelid I had no idea what was going on. Scared the poop out of me!

There has been noticeable improvement in both the redness and the heat of her ear. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Guest LindsaySF

Redness of the ear flap just means increased blood flow. The cause could be many things. If a dog is warm, both ears are usually red. If they have recently been scratching at an ear, that one might be red and inflamed. If the canal looks clean (no gook, no smell, etc), she probably just scratched at it or had a bug bite or something. If it continues, it could be an infection, and would be worth having the vet look at. Good luck.