Meds For Uti ?

Guest starr511

Guest starr511

Is there any medications for UTI that don't make a greyhound's stomach upset? Star has been on 2 different meds and both make her sick to the point where she no longer has an appetite.

Are there any vets/anyone else on the forum that might give me some suggestions. This would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Apart from giving a dose of antibiotic at night (it will stay in the urinary tract longer), there's injections as already mentioned. Also put a spoon of live culture yoghurt on the dog's food because even though the next tablet may kill most of it off at least some of it may get to stay and help retain a protective biofilm along the gut walls.

Guest greytexplorer

Convenia injection! :nod One and Done! :nod

I have been the convenia advocate here on GT for at least 2 years.

Mandy is a horrible pill-taker, so it just makes sense for her to get the injection.

AND convenia covers several "bugs".

If the injection isn't an option (can't imagine it wouldn't be, but still), what we do is:

- Give 1 regular Pepcid (10mg famotidine)

- Wait 30-40 minutes

- Feed meal or substantial snack (such as a piece of bread)

- Give pill

Hugs and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Apart from giving a dose of antibiotic at night (it will stay in the urinary tract longer), there's injections as already mentioned. Also put a spoon of live culture yoghurt on the dog's food because even though the next tablet may kill most of it off at least some of it may get to stay and help retain a protective biofilm along the gut walls.

You have to be careful with this, depending on which antibiotic is being used. For example, you cannot use dairy products within 2 hours of administering doxycycline as dairy inhibits the absorbtion of the drug. It's not likely that doxy is being used for a UTI, but it's always a good idea to check with the vet first to see if dairy products will counteract or otherwise interfere with the a/b :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest starr511

Doxy is what the vet gave her. Should I suggest something else?

She stopped eatting her dog food on Saturday. We've been this route before with her. She will eat *people food* and dog treats. I'm wondering if she stopped eatting because I was hiding her pill in soft dog food along with her hard food. Also, I was adding yogurt to this mixture. Now, I read this is not good to do. :blush

Some time ago, I was reading here on the forum, can't find it now, about a vet on facebook? Anyone remember this post? Sounds like that person would be good to add as a *friend*?

Please keep the suggestions coming as I am a newbie dog owner and need lots of help.

Thanks again :gh_bow

I forgot to add that Star had an x-ray and the vet didn't see any stones. But she did have a lot of stool in her intestines. Maybe another x-ray is needed??? B)

Did they do a culture and determine doxy is the best choice? Did they try her on amoxy first? I just posted something on treating UTIs and the research presented suggested that amoxy should be used as an initial treatment, however if your vet did a C&S, s/he may have thought doxy more appropriate for the particular organism. If you find my post - it may be on page 2 or so of this forum - there's a link to the research. A few pages in, they list drugs that can be used to treat UTIs. Many, if not most, dogs tolerate doxy just fine, so it's a bummer that Star is not falling into that group. Keflex may be an option for you, assuming amoxy has already been tried. Really, there are a lot of different meds that can be used. I'd just let your vet know that she's having trouble and see what else he/she can suggest.

Anyway, yeah, no dairy within 2 hours doxy :)

Hope you can find something to get rid of the infection that doesn't upset her tummy! :goodluck

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

If amoxicillin or doxy isn't working may need to use baytril. they use this antibiotic for uti and really bad bacteria infections. and you can take baytril with food. it may delay but will not hinder absorption capability.

baytril can cause some nasty side effects so be warned. however, i've never experienced digestive problems as one of the issues.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

If amoxicillin or doxy isn't working may need to use baytril. they use this antibiotic for uti and really bad bacteria infections. and you can take baytril with food. it may delay but will not hinder absorption capability.

baytril can cause some nasty side effects so be warned. however, i've never experienced digestive problems as one of the issues.

Gotta diagree here- certain foods and some medication containing zinc, iron, magnesium..... wlll bind with the medication preventing proper absorption.

Kind of surprised the OP's vet first used doxy to treat the infection-- not really the first go to drug to treat UtI's. Perhap a urine culture/mic was run?

Gotta diagree here- certain foods and some medication containing zinc, iron, magnesium..... wlll bind with the medication preventing proper absorption.

Kind of surprised the OP's vet first used doxy to treat the infection-- not really the first go to drug to treat UtI's. Perhap a urine culture/mic was run?

been with more vets than ever thought possible the last couple of weeks and vet school etc. Food will not interfere with baytril. not a vet there would agree. like i said it may delay but not hinder absorption capability. my girls on this for encephalitis and believe you me they know the meds at the vet school. again will not hinder absorption capability. no argument on you knowing stuff but this one's wrong.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I don't want to stray from the op's original post but, this is one of those things that you'll ask 10 differnt vets and you'll get maybe 5 different answers. Bottom line is you need to comply by you own vets wishes.

been with more vets than ever thought possible the last couple of weeks and vet school etc. Food will not interfere with baytril. not a vet there would agree. like i said it may delay but not hinder absorption capability. my girls on this for encephalitis and believe you me they know the meds at the vet school. again will not hinder absorption capability. no argument on you knowing stuff but this one's wrong.

Guest starr511

Yes, vet ran a culture. When we first started with the problem there was blood and crystals in the urine. Now, just blood. Vet is changing the meds to amoxy. Haven't tried that yet. So, can I give her yogurt with her meal or wait an hour. I am hoping this is the drug that helps. Amoxy doesn't do anything for my cats or my kids when they were young.

Thanks for all the comments :gh_bow

Ugh iPhone- hard to quote sometimes. Ok- just thought I would double check myself and after a quick google search I will stand behind my facts. "Compounds that contain metal cations (e.g., aluminum, calcium, iron, magnesium may reduce the absorption of some Quinolone class drugs."

to the OP and Devotion hope your hounds recover quickly.

From Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook's (6th ed) entry on enrofloxacin (Baytril):

"Pharmacokinetics

Enrofloxacin is well absorbed after oral administration in most species. In dogs, enrofloxacin's bioavailability (approximately 80%) is about twice that of ciprofloxacin after oral dosing. 50% of Cmax is reportedly attained within 15 minutes of dosing and peak levels (Cmax) occur within one hour of dosing. The presence of food in the stomach may delay the rate, but not the extent of absorption."

My apologies to the OP for the hi-jack. I hope you'll be able to find an antibiotic that does the trick and doesn't upset her stomach.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

It's perfectly okay to add food with baytril. Amoxy and Doxy are used for general UTI. Baytril is a desirable antibiotic to be added with these two. To the OP please have more specific tests completed.

I am a vet and although I can answer general questions you can't expect a vet to give you diagnosis/treatment over internet.

This isn't a negative to the OP but just a reminder it's important to have a vet to see the canine.

best of luck. IMO it's probably an infection that needs an antibiotic for an extended length of time not the rountine 7-14 protocal.

Mike

Guest starr511

Picked up the amoxi today and Star is back on ground chuck and rice. She couldn't wait to eat/was so excited while I was cooking for her. Gave her the pill with peanutbutter. So, everyone cross your fingers that this will stop the *runs* and the UTI. At least she is eatting again! :colgate

Thanks for the comments and I'll keep you posted with her progress.

:gh_bow