Ester Has Low Platelet Count

Guest greytexplorer

Guest greytexplorer

Hi Freynds,

Ester had a nasty happy tail, and the vet and I decided the tip end should be amputated.

This was done on Tuesday morning. Just took off the last 2" of her tail, and it's looking really good!

The problem is that her bloodwork is not good.

And she can't get up. I have to use a towel as a sling to help her maneuver around/go out to pee.

She looks miserable and puny.

Her PCT = 59 and it should be waaaaaaaaay higher!!!

Dr S said low platelet is the reason why she has bruising on her extremities :(

and is often caused by liver problems/failure.

Ester is back at the vet today for IV fluids, hoping to flush out any toxins from the surgery/anesthesia and that the fluids will give her a boost.

Your prayers for recovery are greytly appreciated.

And if you have any ideas for what to do/protocol, I'd love to hear it.

Dr S said she would be calling Auburn University Vet School, too.

TIA. Y'all are the best.

Pat Down South

Edited by greytexplorer

You may want to run this past Dr Couto's team at Ohio State University. Platelets seem to be an issue with greyhounds .. not sure if they just run low or they tend to clump making them seem lower than they are. I also seem to remember that with greyhound surgery the vet should keep some special medicine around ... I think it's called amicar to control bleeding but hopefully someone else on the thread will confirm the name of it.

Guest eaglflyt

With a low platelet count, I'd also consider a tick borne disease. We just recently had a foster with a platelet count of 29,000! I was afraid to even let him be outside with any of the other dogs for fear they might bump into him and he'd bleed out before I could get him to a vet. He was positive for ehrlilchiosis. So, I'd suggest having a full tick panel done along with other tests.

What was your hounds platelet count? Do you know the actual number?

Good luck in finding the cause and an effective treatment.

Was the bloodwork done before surgery? Anything else abnormal on the bloodwork besides the low platelet count, like her liver enzymes? When did the bruising in her extremities start? I wouldn't immediately think liver problems just based on a low platelet count. There are a number of other things that can cause this, and liver disease isn't even one of the more common causes.

Platelet count can show up lower than it really is depending on the quality of the blood draw. If the platelets had started to clump/clot, the number can be lower, but the lab usually includes a comment that clumps were noted. I would also agree with eaglflyt about considering tick-borne disease. Would be worth sending off a panel, and possibly even going ahead and starting a course of doxycycline.

How old is Ester? Had she had any mobility problems prior to surgery? What kind of anesthesia did they use? I would almost find the inability to get up more of a concern than the low platelet count.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest greytexplorer

Ester is at the E-Vet for the night.

She is being watched and given IV fluids with proteins. She also got a shot of Vitamin K.

They ran her PCT. It's at 34,000 :(

They are also doing a clot time.

This might be auto-immune related :dunno

We are stumped.

Checking in with OSU and Dr Couto tomorrow.

Prayers needed. :cry1

I am leaning toward TBD, too.

What's the usual dosage for doxy when treating for TBD?

Ester weighs 55 lbs (down from 2 years ago at 67) :(

Ester is 11 years old and yes, bloodwork was done prior to surgery and post-op as well (3 times since surgery)

Has your vet been able to talk to the university? Wondering if fresh frozen plasma would be of benefit? Sending lots of prayers for your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytexplorer

Dr E at E-Vet said that fresh frozen plasma would not help enough.

Or at least what they have to offer.....

Just got off the phone with regular vet, she said that she would have Dr E pull blood and then start doxy,

although her gut tells her it's auto-immune.

I really hope it's TBD....it's relatively easier to deal with...........

Prayers please!!!! :hope

Love y'all to bits,

Pat

ps,,,,thank you Jane, I love you!!! You are my new BFF

Guest Tuesday

It sounds to me like Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia. If that is the case, steroids (prednisone) will be the medication of choice. Best of luck! :)

Guest greytexplorer

Good Morning, All,

Well, 3 veterinarians agreed yesterday that Ester most likely has an auto-immune issue (not TBD or recnac)

As Tuesday mentioned, it's probably IMT and she has already begun prednisone treatment.

Now my question is: WHEN will Ester start feeling better? WHEN will her platelets increase? HOW do you get the platelets to increase?

stay tuned for another episode of Mystery Diagnosis

and many thanks to Jane, who spent a lot of time on the phone with me last night :kiss2

Pat

Guest Tuesday

Good Morning, All,

Well, 3 veterinarians agreed yesterday that Ester most likely has an auto-immune issue (not TBD or recnac)

As Tuesday mentioned, it's probably IMT and she has already begun prednisone treatment.

Now my question is: WHEN will Ester start feeling better? WHEN will her platelets increase? HOW do you get the platelets to increase?

stay tuned for another episode of Mystery Diagnosis

and many thanks to Jane, who spent a lot of time on the phone with me last night :kiss2

Pat

To help with your questions: The steroids are going to make her feel better very soon - Generally in 3 to 5 days there is a marked improvement in the dogs overall well-being. The actual platelet increase will occur gradually but will take weeks. Your vet will probably want to recheck a count in a week or two to make sure things are heading in the right direction. With IMT the immune system is going crazy attacking the platelets thinking that, for whatever reason, they are invading the body like an organism. The steroids job is to suppress the immune system so the self-destruction will, hopefully, cease and give the platelets time to regenerate. Relapses can happen so you will always want to be on the alert. I am a vet tech and I have seen this condition more times than I can count. I hope this helps :)

Guest greytexplorer

Hi Tuesday on Saturday!

Well I know that everything is gradual (feeling better, increase in platelets, etc).

Next question is---Will Ester have to be on pred for the rest of her life? She is 11 years old.

She has spent Thursday, Friday and today at vet clinic for IV fluids, and Thursday and Friday nights at e-vet for same.

Hoping I can bring her home this afternoon and not have to take her ANYWHERE until Monday (back to reg. vet for recheck of bloodwork).

Ester is doing better, but she is still not out of the woods just yet.

:gh_run

^ this is Ester ^ she said Thanks for your Prayers!

thanks,

Pat

Some dogs with immune-mediated disease need to stay on pred for life, but there are a good number that can be weaned off completely. A dog with IMT is more likely to be able to come off pred completely than a dog with IMHA (hemolytic anemia). IMT can be triggered by TBD so I hope you are at least continuing the course of doxy as well. Doxy also has immunomodulatory effects and can help the the immune-mediated component too.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest greytexplorer

Regarding TBD====the vet sent the blood off to be titered. Hopefully we'll get some results next week!

Just back from picking up Ester at regular vet. She is HOME!!! :yay

She is eating, drinking, walking and peeing!

AND the best part-------

Her Platelets are UP to 176,000!!!!!!

prednisone is an amazing drug

Pat :colgate

Dr. Couto diagnosed Daisy's IMT. She was not on Prednisone, just Doxy. The Doxy was a life saver. She was actually bleeding through the skin. I vaguely remeber Dr. Couto saying he doesn't like using steroids for IMT, but don't hold me to that. It's been 5 years and no relapes. Prayers for Ester. Please keep her on Doxy for at least 6 to 8 weeks...