Protein Percentage?

Guest driser

Guest driser

Reading so many different opinions about grain-free vs mainly meat high quality kibble. I like the ingredients in Taste of the Wild kibble, but some are pretty high in protein. Is that a problem for Greys??

No, not a problem at all :)

Well, unless your dog has a particular type of kidney disease (of course, I can't remember which). But for most greyhounds, it's fine and generally preferred that they get higher protein than lower. My Turbo did really well on Evo (42% crude protein) for many years.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

You'll most likely receive mixed opinions on this subject. I am in the lower protein camp. There is no reason to pump our retired racers full of protein. Of course it depends on the activity of your hound--does your hound lure course etc..??

I think even the raw feeders will agree with me as their diets are not all that high in protein. If you do your homework I think you'll find lower protein grain free/gluten free kibble are available.

Guest NJgrey

I'm not necessarily a big fan of high protein, but our girl is on Wellness Core and doing very well on it. It's I think 32% protein. We went that route because we found she did best on grain free food, but we needed relatively low fat and most of the big grain free kibbles are actually quite high in fat. The reduced fat formula hit a sweet spot for us - we tried it, she does well on it, so not going to upset the apple cart.

I should also add that we've done the whole spectrum with her. For a while she did quite well on Natural Balance Potato and Duck formula until she refused to eat another bite of it. That was around 20% protein I believe.

Either way I wouldn't fuss over it. If your hound does well on one brand and is otherwise healthy I see no reason to stay away from that kibble because of the protein level.

Your could also add fresh/frozen veggies to lower the protein if you don't want such a high percentage. The vet suggested for every one cup of veggies you add, lower the kibble by 1/2 cup. I add fresh carrots to Timo's meals.

High protein isn't needed in a non-performance dog but it won't do any harm unless the dog has certain medical conditions.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest WhiteWave

I have tried low protein, moderate protein and high protein. My dogs no matter the breed/age/size seem to do better on higher protein. We currently feed a food that is 38 % protein and 20 % fat. All dogs are eating it from 3 months old Greyhound to 21 yr old Chihuahua and doing very well.

i remember a well versed saluki freind/breeder/active courser sharing an article about protien #s w/ me. for her breed(and i sorta go w/ saluki info- my first breed) it was 24%+ in protien to maintain good coat and skin. fat content was somewhere around 14%. i usually stick w/ a food in the mid 20s for protien and have excellent results. my dogs run, play ball, walk a lot but are not on the track and that seems to work.