Limping

Bella has been limping off and on for about ten days. I've learned not to panic as she's pulled a muscle a couple of times while doing zoomies in the hall - the first time, after reading waaay to much about osteo, I ran her over to the vet... and, well, pulled muscle. So, now I know to keep her quiet, short walks, baby aspirin if she's really uncomfortable, etc.

She's was getting better and is now limping hard again. Turns out DH let her do more zoomies over the weekend AND took her on a fairly long walk! :angryfire Argh!

So, I'm not really worried, BUT - this time she occasionally stops and licks at or bites at her paw. I found a small cut between the toes, but nothing major. Nothing stuck in the pads, no cuts, no sores, nothing out of place, nothing swollen, nothing tender to the touch other than this small cut.

post-22136-0-44970000-1310424278_thumb.jpg

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I agree to check to see if there is something in the cut. Soaking in warm water couldn't hurt. I'd keep her quiet and see how she does. If no improvement then get the vet to look at it.

I know how easy it is to panic and like you I've more than once had my vet look at me and smile.

Here's hoping it gets better soon.

june

Thanks! I did soak it in warm water and epsom salts - she was awfully tentative at first and then it was like a lightbulb. Oh! This feels GOOOOOODDDDDDD - she sighed and leaned against me and settled her foot more firmly into the water. I'll keep an eye on it, soak it again in the morning and then maybe go to the vet.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

It's surprising what they can get 'stuck' in their feet and you not being able to notice. Could she have any glass in there? Being in NY city, it could be very small as one has to wonder about the cut on her foot. No experience with glass in a paw, only in a hand and it was there for a couple weeks before going to a doctor, getting an x-ray and having to have the hand cut open again to remove. Just a thought.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest UESBrindle

When we were in the city William had gotten glass in his paw a few times. We would just soak in warm water/epsom salts a few times a day and keep walks short. Sometimes if he didn't want to stand and soak, I would soak a washcloth and wrap his foot in that and put a plastic bag over it while he layed down.

I did take him to AMC once and they gave me some blue "dip" (I think it was cephelexin liquid) that I mixed with warm water as an antiseptic soak to make sure no germs settled in the open spot too.

I would sometimes try with tweezers to get it out, but figured that could actually make it worse, and it would just work itself out on its own.

Good luck!

The soaks need to be done at least twice a day for a few days, that gives the foreign object time to loosen and move and ultimately work its way out. I went through something similar with Scarlett, hers was embedded so deep that even the vet couldn't find it but it was in the webbing and worked its way out within about 10 days.

Hope Bella is feeling better.