Vomiting

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

When I got home from work last night, DH, who works from home, told me that Greta massively vomited up all her breakfast yesterday afternoon. Yep, I saw the evidence in the yard where it happened and it looked like breakfast and possibly dinner from night before. Tons!

I got home at 6, and even though she vomited that afternoon, he still fed her her dinner at 5 :rolleyes:.

We had plans to go out that evening, when we left she seemed fine, but when we returned at 11:00, there were three huge piles of vomit in the living room, looking like half-digested dinner.

So, this morning we did not feed her. Right thing to do? To let her stomach settle? She cried a little around breakfast time, but I really want to try to let her stomach work itself out.

Possible causes of vomiting: 1. she's a poop eater. we try to clean it up, but she still sometimes gets to it first. she's never thrown up before from eating poop though.

2. we have a tomato plant fruiting now, and i've caught her several time snuffling around in there and I'm sure she's getting tomatoes from time to time (they're really acidic, right? that can't be good for a dog's tummy!)

3. we have a big blow-up kiddie pool, the dogs are occasionally drinking water out of it.

4. we switched food a week or two ago to a similar food (venison and sweet potato because we couldn't find their usual venison and brown rice). but it's been many days since using the alternate food and she was fine.

i have my money on the tomato theory.

are we doing the right thing by skipping her breakfast? now, with the big D i would cook rice and bland chicken for her in the evening, but should we just feed her the "old" food as normal?

thank you!

Tomatoes are not toxic, and I'd doubt that's the problem unless she just has a particularly sensitive stomach.

Skipping breakfast for now is fine. At dinner time (or mid-afternoon, if she is not vomiting after skipping breakfast), I would first try giving her a half-amount of her normal meal and wait six to eight hours to see if it stays down. Don't change her food just yet as you would then be adding in another possible cause of issues. Hard to isolate the problem if you keep changing things, if you know what I mean. :)

If the half-meal stays down for eight hours, give her another half-meal. And go from there...

Oh, and re: the kiddie pool... if you leave the water in it unchanged for more than a few days, it could be a source for giardia. But usually giardia manifests first as diarrhea, not vomiting. So I doubt that the pool's the culprit. But I wanted to mention it anyway, just in case.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Yes, skip breakfast, let her tummy settle. If she doesn't throw up, give her a half portion, like Aimee said, and see if she keeps that down. If she doesn't, or she throws up before you feed her again, I'd plan on taking her to the vet. She could have developed a sensitivity to the new food over time.

Also, make sure she is drinking, don't want her to get dehydrated!

Make sure she's drinking and keeping down water. If not, visit the vet. Dehydration can cause a hole lot of problems.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Make sure she's drinking and keeping down water. If not, visit the vet. Dehydration can cause a hole lot of problems.

Yes, yes, very good point that I neglected to mention. :nod

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

A single vomit with a dog, I don't worry. Vomiting a SECOND meal up gets me a bit more concerned.

Has she pooped??

You're correct; your vet would no doubt suggest you withhold food for 12-24 hours, then start up with the bland diet. However, I would keep a very close eye on her, particularly to make sure she's pooped. If she can't hold anything down, and nothing has come out the other end, she's got a problem.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It could be the heat or there might be something going around. It's been pretty hot here lately and our 2 whippets have both gotten sick (but not our greyhound or our chihuahua mix). Kira did get so bad (to me at least.....she was vomiting blood and had bloody diarhea) I took her to the vet and she was dehydrated, so yes, make sure she's getting enough water. What I did for Kira was different than what I did for Zuma since Kira came home with meds.

What I did with Zuma was, starve her for 24 hours, then feed her chicken and rice for a few days and slowly (and I mean slowly) re-introduce kibble back in to her diet. I had to do that with her because she is a very nervous dog and little things can upset her universe. :rolleyes: She's been ok, although she did throw up a tiny, tiny bit this morning....more like saliva (the first morning we haven't left the A/C on overnight).

I've found that with my dogs, I've needed to skip a whole day of feeding to let their stomachs settle.....just skipping one meal hasn't helped. But, it may help in your case....all dogs are different.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest lynne893

She gladly ate 1/2 her usual meal at 4pm today (1 cup) and seemed in better condition. We left at 6 for the LA Galaxy soccer game (they won, 2-1 vs Chicago Fire, and Beckham "bent it like Beckham" which was awesome), and no evidence at all of vomit when we got home. So I just gave her the other half of dinner.

She drank water throughout the day today and did have a moderate poop this morning, and looks really skinny today, so I'm not feeling worried about a blockage (I'm almost always paranoid about blockages, though!).

So far, so good tonight.

THANK YOU for your concern and advice!