Ziggy's Open Sores From Cage Accident...question

Guest lala22

Guest lala22

The vet said not to bandage them because he would just rip them off and that he would keep them clean. He is...licking them a lot. But they aren't developing scabs. Is this ok?

He has 3 total...about a half dollar size.

Thanks

I would leave them open but not let him lick. Not only will they not scab over, but he could very easily make them rip further and make them bigger. Muzzle him if needed.

Make sure you keep them clean and reapply neosporin (spray is easiest) a couple times a day. Warm compresses will help too, also a couple times a day.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Some of the sprays (EMT spray is one of them) have a bitter substance added to them, to dissuade licking. You might find it works. Some dogs will just bear with the taste and lick anyway. Good luck!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Yeah, they will not heal well if he keeps licking. Likely to form scars/prevent hair regrowth. Try a Bite-Not collar (be absolutely sure he can't reach the sores even with it on -- my girl is a big licker and I learned this the hard way) or a muzzle with stool guard (she fusses with the muzzle a lot outside, but quickly tolerated it quietly indoors -- she was wearing it almost constantly for a couple of weeks recently). Or an e-collar, though I've managed to avoid that so far -- I think the muzzle is easier for a greyhound.

I don't think there's anything I could put on her skin externally that would prevent her licking a spot if she wanted to.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

better than an e collar is a "bite not collar". the dog can not turn his head to get to the wound. i used it on felix when he had 14 staples after a nasty tear. the best part was he grew lots of hair on his naked neck.

i like the idea of neosporin spray. i make my bite not collars out of correguated cardboard, line the cardboard w/ a hand towel and use duct tape to secure it. once you see a picture of the collar you will understand what i am describing.

better than an e collar is a "bite not collar". the dog can not turn his head to get to the wound. i used it on felix when he had 14 staples after a nasty tear. the best part was he grew lots of hair on his naked neck.

i like the idea of neosporin spray. i make my bite not collars out of correguated cardboard, line the cardboard w/ a hand towel and use duct tape to secure it. once you see a picture of the collar you will understand what i am describing.

Yeah, my vet had this corrugated foam backed with felt and velcro tape which he cut to fit for a custom Bite-Not collar. However, you have to be really careful with the fitting -- my girl had surgery on her lower back and it turned out that with the first collar we did she could still get her head around to lick -- she didn't do it when I saw her for several days. But she managed to give herself an ugly hairless scar area there from licking the scab off the sutures repeatedly and widening the incision line before we cut another one that fit more closely (sort of tapered to fit her neck, with a throat notch cut so it didn't choke her).

If you don't have a stool guard, you can put duct tape over the end of the muzzle to prevent the dog licking through it. When my dog was wearing it all the time, the vet cut ribbons of gauze and tied the muzzle on her neck (from the head strap under her throat with a bow) so she couldn't rub it or scratch it off.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad