Groomers And Hot Air Drying Fans

Guest MyCody

Guest MyCody

A friend and neighbor who had two male greys that would come and visit our girls with the son, took them to their groomer on Thursday and one of them stroked, was rushed to their vet which is just up the street, and he had to be put down. She emailed me with the horrible news and I emailed her back telling her about greyhounds not being able to tolerate hot air fans and that is more than likely what happened. I said I was letting her know this for the sake of her second boy as I didn't want that to happen to him also and the groomer must be made aware that greys can't tolerate this. She defended the groomer saying she loved their greys, never said she didn't, just let her know not to use fans on them!!!!!

I am sorry to read of your neighbour's loss. That is very devastating. Personally I am not sure why a Grey needs to go to a groomer other than perhaps getting their nails done? It is a sad story.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

While it is possible that some part of the grooming process might have been involved in causing the incident I am not able to discern from the information you provided what would lead you to such a conclusion. I can understand why you may have your suspicions but that does not mean it is the most likely cause. It also sounds possible that you expressed those views in a way & at a time that your friend was unable to listen to them in an open manner. That is totally understandable. She has just lost her dog. You should not take it personally that she became defensive.

None of the dryers I am aware of that are marketed to the pet grooming industry use hot air. Many use somewhat warmed air but the temp is lower than the lowest warm on any of the blow dryers for human hair that I have used. Another big difference is the velocity of the air stream emitted from the dryers for pet grooming. Unless you know something about the groomer involved & have reason to suspect she is not using one of the standard types of dryers designed for pet grooming then the term "Hot Air Drying Fans" is inaccurate & misleading. Though I am sure you were not intending such & am most definitely not implying that.

Yes, it is possible these fans can contribute to overheating but it would require more than the fans alone. Stress panting, overall air temperature in the groomer's facility, type of caging, appropriate supervision all play a role. As with all facets of our animal's care we should do our utmost to be certain the people & establishments to whom we entrust them understand the proper way to care for them. A grooming dryer on its own does not cause a dog to have a stroke.

I am very sorry for your friend's loss. Thank you for attempting to offer her a helpful suggestion. Please keep in mind though all the factors involved in the incident including how your friend is feeling at this point in time. Sometimes it is best to wait before making such suggestions & be mindful of how these are presented.

Guest MyCody

I should have posted that I started my email by saying I didn't want to add to her grief but was thinking about her other grey---was afraid the same thing could happen to him. I learned of this happening by reading about other greys here on GT a couple of years ago that this happened to.

She is a very busy person and does not spend time on line so I told her I would not have ever thought of this happening if I did not have the time to come here and read about these things.

It was also the vets opinion that this is what happened, the dog had a stroke from the heat, legs and spine paralyzed and vet suspected brain damage as well, therefore the decision to let him go.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

The only dryer i can think of that groomers use that would create any sort of heat are the stand dryers (link) and if they are not properly maintained they can get very hot but with those types of dryers you have to be there with the dog they are made to used when the dog is on the grooming table.

I am a groomer and i do use dryers on greyhounds but i use my force dryer never anything with heat on the greys.

I really dont see how the dryer could get hot enough to cause that outcome with no burns on the dog at all, i wonder if there was an under lying condition that wasnt caught on time.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Quite a few groomers put dogs into a crate and turn on the air (usually an airline crate).

My sister lost 2 of her 3 dogs one day because of that (they were not greyhounds)

I have the stainless steel vet kennels at my salon and depending on the breed we do use the kennel dryers (no heat, just uses room temp), we are trained to NEVER aim them at the dogs face or put them on dogs like pugs, maltese, shih tzu, toy poodles... anything that cannot handle the air flow when confined. we also only put 1-2 hoses on each kennel depending on what is in the kennel (large dog 2 hoses, small dog 1 hose aimed at feet). There are so many groomers that really dont seem to care about the dogs they just want to do as many dogs as they can in one day :angry:

Guest MyCody

When I first read about this problem with dryers I alerted my son to it as he had, at the time, a twenty year old yorkie poo who went to a groomer that used these dryers and he told them never to use one on her again. I'm sure when used with care and common sense it can be done but I don't think ever with greys. I know of no other breed who's back legs collapse in a warm bath. Perhaps it's those large blood vessels in their inner back thighs.

Guest krystolla

I can't imagine wanting to blow dry a greyhound. They have such short coats anyway, a good shake and they're dry in ten minutes.

I've blow dried my cats back when I was showing, it's the only way to get the appropriate fluff, but I never left them alone with a blow dryer. Sheesh. I can't imagine there are that many breeds that can tolerate being in a hot wind tunnel for a long period of time -- short noses, low body fat, heavy coats, any dog with a health problem . . . Scary.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I am very sorry to hear about your friends dogs but like others have said I would have doubt to the death being caused by the dryer. You also mentioned that the dog had a stroke... that doesnt mean that the dog had HEAT stroke. Being a person that owns several dryers and has worked at several types of shops over the years the "hot air" dryers that your talking about arent hot. They just dont blow cold air like a house fan would. I highly doubt the dryer had anything to do with his passing especially if it was a stroke (aka blot clot blocking blood flow)

As for WHY you would dry a greyhound... it greatly reduces shedding! I dry all my dogs and trust me I can tell when I am lazy and dont blow them out because they shed ALL OVER my house.

Guest jettcricket

I've heard of this happening as well....years ago an e-mail was sent out about someone's greyhound dying from that and to forward the e-mail so other greyhound people were aware it. Very sad indeed. :(

Guest greyaspet

I know of 2 greyhounds, different owners different groomers who died because of this. People need to be aware. The only thing my dog goes to the groomer for is her nails.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I am very sorry to hear about your friends dogs but like others have said I would have doubt to the death being caused by the dryer. You also mentioned that the dog had a stroke... that doesnt mean that the dog had HEAT stroke. Being a person that owns several dryers and has worked at several types of shops over the years the "hot air" dryers that your talking about arent hot. They just dont blow cold air like a house fan would. I highly doubt the dryer had anything to do with his passing especially if it was a stroke (aka blot clot blocking blood flow)

As for WHY you would dry a greyhound... it greatly reduces shedding! I dry all my dogs and trust me I can tell when I am lazy and dont blow them out because they shed ALL OVER my house.

I use those types of dryers on my hounds when i groom them and have never had an issue, they dont get hot. I groomed 7 dogs to day and all but 1 i used the "heat" dryers to finish drying them most of the dogs wre small (under 10lbs) and all of them were fine. I really wonder if the dog had an underlaying condition and the stress of grooming set off the stroke.