Jumping On People!

Guest Lgyure85

Guest Lgyure85

We got Maddie about a year and a half ago. For the first 6-8 months she never really jumped on people other than us, and even then only when she was REALLY excited. SHe still doesn't really jump on anyone other than us...and our land lord. I have no idea what about him makes her so excited, but I really don't want my dogs to look ill-behaved to our land lord. I know Jayne had some issues with this, and I know others have too, but I couldn't find the threads. Help!

Put a lead on her or crate her when you are expecting someone. I know just because I like my dogs not everyone else does. It is my responsibility to control my dog when other people are around. Maddie might be doing it now because she is comfortable in her surroundings and likes people.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Can you train your landlord to turn his back on her when she does that? It's the best way to train HER not to jump! It's just not practical to ask strangers to do that. :lol Alternatively, you can step on her leash so she can't jump - but obviously that assumes she's on leash when she meets him.

Capri is just like that. She's very good and polite to most people but there are a few who she just goes bananas over. For example, my 80-year-old mother in law! I don't know what triggers her but some people she just LOVES.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest Lgyure85

Part of the problem is that I am rarely "expecting" him. I will try asking him to turn around on her, but any other ideas are still welcome!

Ask him not to approach until Maddie is baby-gated or crated. People knock at our front door and we ask them to wait until we have the dogs crated. They would be mugged if I let them right in.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

You should recruit someone (your spouse?) to ring the doorbell and wait for the jump. Have her leash on, stand on the end (or hold it! That'd work too!) with the leash taught enough so that when she jumps, you'll check her before she gets the chance!

Repeat until she gets the point--take turns too!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Wasserbuffel

I still have trouble with Jayne jumping on people, especially my Mom. Just last night too.

For us training hasn't worked because she doesn't jump on DH and I when we come in and I haven't yet been able to recruit a friend for an afternoon of being the guest. In other words: I haven't tried hard enough yet.

It does help, if I'm expecting someone, to take her for a walk before the come and tire her out a bit. Then try to greet them outside. When I'm not able to do that, I just hold her collar while she yodels at them then only let her greet once she's quiet, although she'll still be quivering with excitement. - I like your idea of using the leash George.

I need to get a baby gate to put in the doorway of our spare room so she can calm down in there before being allowed to greet.

Guest katethegreyt

I need to get a baby gate to put in the doorway of our spare room so she can calm down in there before being allowed to greet.

Baby gates our great! Our girl isn't terrible about jumping, but she's not great because DH thinks it's cute and doesn't really work on it = ) She's so good otherwise and only does it with us, so I don't harp on him too much about it (leaving dirty clothes all over the place is way more annoying and worth using up my nagging quota). We have a baby gate near our entry way though (we have a hall when you first come in), so she can stand there and be excited, but she doesn't get to say hi to us until she sits and chills out, then we go in and let her say hello.

She still jumps all over DH when he gets her leash to go out though, but he lets her, sooo. She's pretty good with me (I ignore her and turn my back until she chills), and she's gotten it down to mostly an excited play bow now, haha. Or on carpet, she'll just go into sphinx position and wag her tail furiously until mom gets it together, haha.

Could you potentially teach him to go to a place when guests come over? Like give him a special rug away from the door but where he can still see what's happening? I know some people have good luck with that. Then they can come greet after they relax a bit.

Beth is so in love with everybody at the vet where she's been day-boarding as she recovers from her toe amp that she's started jumping up like crazy (especially on her favorite tech and our vet). She usually just did it occasionally, generally outside. I live alone and don't have many visitors so it's hard to work on. I do need to address it, though -- it's been hard to focus on behavioral stuff when I'm worried about her healing. And obviously crate/babygate is not feasible in a situation like this, and she's already on leash. Fortunately the jumpees here are obviously used to dogs and they love her.... It's kind of embarrassing though as we've done lots of training classes.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Wasserbuffel
It's kind of embarrassing though as we've done lots of training classes.

I hear you there! Jayne will sit, shake, play dead etc. but still jumps up on people!

I usually turn my back to the hound. Another way I try to keep a hound from jumping up on me is to gently hold their ID collar as I bend down to their level. This encourages them to keep 4-feet planted on the ground.

If a hound is allowed to jump on family, they are usually more likely to jump on others.

Reward her BEFORE she has a chance to jump. It may mean that at the beginning she cannot be in the room as people are coming in & you will need to bring her in later on leash. However, you do it the key is to reward for four on the floor. It would be most helpful if the person she is jumping on will come in while ignoring her, does not look at her or speak to her & if she approaches in an excited I-just-know-she's-gonna-jump-on-him way then the object of her desire should turn his head up & away. That's a very clear, go-away-I-will-not-grace-you-with-attention-right-now signal. And it is still best to have her on leash. Also, teaching her to go to her bed when someone comes to the door & remain there until given the signal that she may not come over to politely greet the guest will go a long way towards helping. As has already been mentioned, if all your plans are foiled by the leaping lady it is best for the guest to disappear briefly depriving her of what she desires. That disapperance can be basically figurative such as the person turning his back or literal as in the person goes right back out the door. Do multiple sessions where she doesn't get to greet until she can keep her paws to herself & continue to practice for a while to come & you will have a hound who knows that four on the floor gets rewarded & jumping is not.

Dogs do what gets rewarded. Figure out what you want to her do, go to her bed or just stand back politely giving the guest space to get in the door without the leaper, and reward for doing it. Don't worry if you have to start by rewarding before the blasted door even opens & work up to the person coming in the door. It will eventually work if you are consistent. And you will have the benefit of a hound who knows that self restraint is was brings her good things. She can control things by maintaining self control.

Good luck. You can do this.

Guest BrianRke

Diamond is a jumper and I've tried many things to get her to stop. The one thing that usually works is this: When someone exciting comes over, I have her favorite treats in my hand. She stays focused on me but still aware of the new guest. So after a few minutes, the treats are gone and so is the "newness" of the guest.

When someone exciting comes over, I have her favorite treats in my hand. She stays focused on me but still aware of the new guest. So after a few minutes, the treats are gone and so is the "newness" of the guest.

That sounds like excellent advice, Brian. Are you planning to incrementally phase out the treats over time? Not saying you have to or should. It's possible though so I was just curios.

There are so many creative ways to handle this.