Dog Flu

Just got a call from one of our adopters. She said that her vet called her to tell her that there was a dog flu coming up the east coast of the U.S. It supposedly affects greyhounds worse than other dogs and that a grey in Rhode Island had died from it. He was calling all of his clients that have greys and suggesting that they have their dogs get a series of two flu shots and then once a year get one. Anyone heard about this?

Thanks

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

Check the artical on Snopes.com punch in Dog Flu. It started in Fla 2004,There is no treatment/vaccine! Basically jumped species from feeding infected horse meat contaminated with Avian Flu. It has showed up in show dog confinements and has been deadly. Not to confuse with Kennel Cough

Actually there is a vaccine now. Apparently, no reactions have been reported related to the admin of the vaccine.

I would still do my own research and defintely speak to my vet before I went foward with the series-- you also need to consider your hounds potential exposure to the virus. Do you board etc...??

Edited to add-- it did start in the greyhound kennels at the tracks. -- they do believe that it did jump from equine to canine through the horsemeat fed (from feeding the lungs).

When the virus first erupted it was awful-- dogs were just

coughing and bleeding out (lungs)-- thankfully, we don't

see the bleeding out anylonger but, it's still not a virus to

be taken lightly-- it can and has been a deadly virus. 2-3? years ago many dogs boarding at a kennel in nearby NY caught the virus and sadly many perished.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest MyCody

There is a vaccine which we had Leah and JJ get before going to GIG. Our vet said no dogs had gotten the flu until this year in RI. He said because they were going to be in with a lot of dogs who came from other parts of the country, it would be a good idea to get the shots. They got two shots and no side effects.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Horse meat is not fed at the tracks and hasn't been since about 1980. So not sure where the studies came up with that.

I have heard that it did jump from equine to dog but not the reasons how or why.

Guest Swifthounds

Per Dr. Ron Schultz it jumped from horses at a track to dogs at the nearby dog track - nothing whatever to do with horse MEAT. It was surprising that it crossed species and mutated, but it did, and continues to mutate making studies of the effectiveness of the vaccine pretty useless.

The info I'm aware of comes from the manufactor of the vaccine (I attended a medical seminar recently and they had an opportunity to speak).

History of the disease may be of question but, it's a virus

that can be fatal and if your dog may be risk you should seek advise from your vet.