Foster With Sa

Ponch is a 3 year old boy who was returned 2 x due to SA. Now he's with me. I crated

him today in the room with Ollie, beau, Chloe and Elsie. They were all nearby. He carried on in the crate for 6 hours. I just bought the canine lullabies and DAP. I did a little alone training tonight but he only whines a little at first. The real problem seems to be after an hour or so. Today was the first day without people.

Anything else we should be doing?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest BrianRke

This is a tough situation. I went through this with Diamond for quite a while after I adopted her. Although I dont recommend it, I stopped crating her when I would leave as I felt this stressed her even more. It took over a year for her SA to get better. It got A LOT better after I adopted 2 other greys.

Medication is also an option that was given to me by my vet but I was determined to work through it without the meds. I do, however, believe that medication is sometimes necessary in cases of SA.

Good luck to you.

It's a tough situation but, it could be the crate that is causing the anxiety. With all the fosters that I have done in the past, I noticed that most of the "anxious type behavior" like whining ceased when I stopped using the crate for fosters.

Also, my two greyhounds would take a fit if I put them in a crate such that they would actually hurt themselves with trying to get out.

When we first adopted our 2nd grey, Darcy, we crated her while our other greyhound, Celeste, was loose in the same room. We didn't feel that it was right to also crate Celeste since she hadn't used a crate in months. Darcy went nuts in the crate. After 2 days, we got rid of the crate. The crate seemed to be the primary issue. Darcy needs another grey around (she has SA when alone), but seemed to be frustrated that she was separated from Celeste even though they were in the same room together.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I picked up a bounce (due to SA) last night. She refused to crate in her previous home but she's been crated at the clinic for the last week so I crated her when I left for work. Passion is crated next to her for moral support. I don't usually crate Passion :lol

I also picked up a fresh off the track young male. He's crated in my bedroom with Diamond who isn't crated.

Should be interesting to see if both crates are intact when I get home from work.

I'm going to start giving melatonin to the foster with SA per my vet.

I didn't have time to do alone training so no advice other than cross your fingers

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Webcam is showing a much better scenario than yesterday. So far so good.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Today not as good as yesterday but not as bad as Monday. We are thinking of Muzzling and no crate.

Today not as good as yesterday but not as bad as Monday. We are thinking of Muzzling and no crate.

I would do this. Maddie had bad SA. I mean really bad SA when I first got her in 2005. She still has a little touch of it. She hated/ and still hates the crate. She ate her way out her way out of 3 of them (1 plastic airline and 2 wire) The wire ones were not a good thing either. She chewed on the bars, knocked it into the wall chewed on door moulding. It was bad. after taking her out of the crate and muzzling and with the helpof my vet and clomicalm (it was last resort -us using the medicine)- I am happy to report that Maddie still has a touch of SA (when we travel) but with muzzle she is fine. I also close doors and baby gate to area that I don't want her in. Everyone in our group that sees Maddie now can't believe that she had/has SA as she is the most loving dog.

I tried everything (except getting another dog) the DAP diffuser, the radio on, the TV on- the letting her out of the crate was the one thing that I should have done but being a new greyhound owner and having that the grey needs to be crated as that is what they are used to.

Let me know if you need help.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Yes! I'm willing to bet that the crate is causing her lots of stress. Some dogs want to be with other dogs - not just see them.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Tequila

Hey Robin,

Just wanted to say it's wonderful that you're working with Ponch. He's a beautiful boy, and I was sad when he was returned to the kennel.

I like the idea of muzzling rather than crating. Are the other greys free? Maybe Ponch just wants to be closer to them?

Kathy

This morning I put my SA foster in the crate in the bedroom, she barked her head off.

I put her in the crate in the dining room and she didn't make a peep.

weird??

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Not so weird. She may already see the dining room as her spot, and the bedroom is different.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We used the DAP, canine lullabies yesterday and it was soo much better than Monday. Today, he carried on and off for the better part of the day.

I am seriously thinking of putting him with Teddy (he tolerates him better than Ollie - go figure) but he would then we separated from the rest of them and just hang with Teddy- BUT that may be too much space for him to run around in- the whole house. I don't want to leave him muzzled with Beau, Chloe, Ollie and Elsie because those dogs are never muzzled. And they would be pissed beyond belief if I started to because of Ponch.

Decisions decsions...

Oh, BTW-

here's Ponch.

c18288e9.jpg

1d0d52ec.jpg

Guest bluefiggie

Starling cried all day while I was at work the first month after I adopted her. She was so loud the neighbors came over on her third day here and asked if I got a new dog. I tried working with her, making sure she was calm when I left, radio our tv on etc... Turns out she only needed time to settle in. I would make sure he is out and about with the other dogs or crated in the same room as another created dog.