How Much To Feed?

Guest Barbara

Guest Barbara

Hi all,

When I got Allstun, he weighed 75 pounds. We haven't been back to the vet yet, so I don't have a weight for him today. The lady from the adoption group suggested 2-3 cups of kibble twice a day.

Allstun is a real couch potato, except for daily zoomies in the yard and leisurely walks. He inhales his food (mixed with water) and is always ready to eat more.

He looks good - he is a big dog. Do you have a weight/kibble amount formula that you use for gauging your grey's intake?

Thanks,

Barbara & C. Allstun

Guest KennelMom

The amount of food really depends on the calorie density of the kibble. For kibble, we usually start at the low end of what's recommended for the dog's weight on the bag. Feed that for a while and start feeding more if the dog drops weight or feed less if they start gaining.

Feeding Taste of the Wild, most of our dogs got a 3 cups per day total. The big boys (70+) got four cups per day.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Sunset123

Totally depends on the dog and the particular food. Arrisa is 55lb and eats just 1.5 cups of Kirkland Lamb per day and maintains her weight. For a while my husband was feeding her and wasn't measuring right (he thought the WHOLE SCOOP was 1 cup!) which meant she was getting at least 3 cups a day and she was getting pudgy. She went back to normal when I found out what was happening.

Guest rjleaman

With fosters, temps, and new dogs I start with the calorie-equivalent of whatever they were getting in the kennel, or 2 cups twice a day (good quality kibble) if that's unknown - and then adjust according to the needs of the particular dog, exercise level and metabolism. For example, my dainty little 55-lb female "revs high" and eats as much as my laidback 100-lb male; yet, both dogs are in excellent form.

Guest sheila

It really depends on so many things. The type of kibble you are feeding, the activity level of you dog (how many walks/zoomies) metabolism etc. My hounds are both around 70 lbs and eat Purina One Chicken and Rice. They get 2 cups per meal twice a day (4 cups total) in scheduled feedings. This is pretty much what I start out with and then I just eyeball them from time to time to evaluate their condition. I like to be able to see a rib or two and a defined tuck.

Since there are many different foods and calorie densities... an overall way to gauge if the amount of healthy food is right for most hounds is to keep an eye on their own body condition. A healthy pet weight for a Greyhound is to visibly see the last 2 ribs, plus being able to feel the 3rd to last rib.

(The heaviest is to see only the last rib, plus feel the 2nd to last rib.)

• 1 month later...
Guest Profgumby

I also feed TOTW and my boy gets 6 cups a day. I know other greys who get 2 cups a day on it. It depends on your dog. I don't think there's a formula.

Agreed. We started feeding PatC and Beauty what their fosters were feeding. Both were getting 2 cups a day. Both were putting on weight, more than we wanted and more than they needed. We are now down to 3 cups each daily (1 1/2 am and 1 1/2 pm) with a wee bit of pumpkin and a bit less than 1/2 cup of water mixed in to soften the kibble. Lady is getting 2 cups 2x a day but when she fills out a little more, we will pull her food back a little too.

It is probably pure luck that PatC and Beauty get the same amount of kibble but PatC gets more pumpkin as she is kind of loose normally. The others get pumpkin to prevent the "her food is better" attitude. And of course sometimes there is a little nicey nice in their bowl like a bit of scrambled egg, a sardine(sardines in water no salt added) or some chicken breast meat..

Every dog is different and starting with the bags recommendation or in our case what the foster parents did works well.

Guest BrianRke

Daytona, 85#, 9yo, 1cup 4x/day 4cups total

Frank, 75#, 3yo, 1.5cups 4x/day 6cups total

Diamond, 65#, 6yo, 1cup, 3 or 4x/day 3or 4 cups total

Really depends on the dog, just like the others have said

Micah gets just under two cups twice a day with a spoonful of peas and carrots on top sometimes I give kibble with sardines. Feed California natural venison. Had been feeding eve but all three of my dogs decided to stop eating it.so the are doing well with the cal. Nat. Micah has stopped doing zooms in the backyard so that's why I give less kibble and more veggies. Seems to be working.

All four of my girls get 1.5 cups twice a day (Proplan Selects salmon and brown rice). Nadia, Kara and Cleo all weigh in the low sixties. Honey is my big girl at 72 pounds (but she weighed 69 pounds at her spay!). Recently I've had trouble keeping weight on Nadia, but that was related to a lack of appetite. For her, I've replaced one cup of kibble with a can of Blue Buffalo salmon and chicken.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest Audeamus

I feed Acana's Wild Prairie ( or the one in the orange bag without lamb) to Gir who's 85 is lbs, a cup and half a day. He's semi decently active and we're working on getting back into shape together, anything more than 1.5 cups makes for a chubby Gir.

I also feed TOTW and my boy gets 6 cups a day. I know other greys who get 2 cups a day on it. It depends on your dog. I don't think there's a formula.

Yup. George eats TOTW, and he gets one cup twice a day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck